Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:05 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Just what is the definition of an 'Emo'? Nobody has been able to answer that one for me. But the ones that people call Emo today look just like those that were called Goths and Freaks back when I was in high school (mid-90's).

I know South Park did a spoof where the Goth kids got mad at being referred to as Emo-but can someone tell me what the difference is?

The identity of "emos" has changed drastically over the last 15 years or so. Back in the early/ mid-90's emos dressed ultra preppy/nerd-like with the sweater vests, tight jeans and nerd glasses. A very very clean cut look that appealed to 20/30 somethings. Emos back then tended to listen to stuff like Weezer, Sunny day Real Estate, Fugazi etc....

Then around 2001/2002 or so young, teen goth kids started to favor punk rock and hardcore music instead of metal and industrial which is typically associated with what goths listen to. And, instead of sheading the goth style in favor of the preppy emo look, they just kept the goth look and meshed it with the punk look. Then, because a lot of the bands that these old goths were listening to had classic emo influences, people began to label these people emos. And there you have it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 05:16 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times
I don't know anything about todays fashion, but I sure do love my nylon parachute pants, Van Halen concert tee, black leather vest, and rawhide tassled moccasin boots. Oh darn, I lost the zip pouch to my foldable Ferrari sunglasses! Only kidding (a little, lol)!

Old 09-13-2009, 05:57 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,770 times
I was thinking the emos are the ones with the hair long in the front, usually have lips pierced... often wear vintage looking clothes.

Goths, were actually more frightening. Emo seems like Goth-lite.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:19 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
I was thinking the emos are the ones with the hair long in the front, usually have lips pierced... often wear vintage looking clothes.

Goths, were actually more frightening. Emo seems like Goth-lite.
I remember that from the late 80's. My stepbrother and his friends were into it.

As far as the other styles I am trying to patiently wait for feminine hairstyles to come back. Layers and flattering styles are so much prettier and softer than straight iron greasy (yes I know they call it "shine"-looks like grease to me) looking hair. Most women do not look good with straight hair around their face. I'm sorry but most of us cannot pull that off no matter what the stylists and fashion people try to tell us. Unfortunately most of us believe them.

No I don't think styles have changed much and it's sad because we don't look as good as we think we do in the current styles. We just got used to them.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:20 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,136 times
The same trends seem to keep getting recycled over and over again in haute couture. I enjoy and respect creativity in the fashion world, but it really does seem like the same looks are repeated, only with new "twists." That is cool for what it is, but don't make like something is so drastically innovative when it's just another spin on what was done in Fall '98, then again in Spring '03, and making it's appearance yet again in Fall '09 (or whenever). Just a few, for example: military, bohemian, animal prints, metallics, old Hollywood glamour. Whether they are lovely and wonderful is not my point (some interpretations are). I just don't care to see them be done to death.

So. No, styles are not necessarily the same since the late 1990s; but, they sure do seem to be getting "reinterpreted" every third season.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,552 times
I think some of it has stayed the same and some of it is changing/has changed. For instance the "grunge" look isn't so popular, but instead there's the "lazy-rolled-out-of-bed" look, which, IMO, is even worse! There's longer straighter hair these days, and that "bump" thing girls do at the front of their hair.

And for the younger generations "Emo" has come back from the dead (it should have stayed dead I think).

Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
90s trends that are notably dated...
chunky women's heels
long shirts tied around the waist
"matchy/matchy" tank top matching flip flops or eyeshadow matching top
tight black nylon pants for women
black skirts with the high slight on the outside of each thigh
khahki or jean "skorts"
large doonie and burke draw string leather purses
"abercrombie" posted across your chest on a sweater or t-shirt
skunk stripes in your hair or dark/dark purple/red hair color (for anyone under 65...)
colorful doc marten boots/shoes
jean overalls
pastel eye shadows
over tanning

fit men wearing unfitted button up shirts, tucked into jeans and too much fabric spilling over...
large pants with the crotch too low
branded everything

Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
90s trends that are notably dated...
chunky women's heels
long shirts tied around the waist
"matchy/matchy" tank top matching flip flops or eyeshadow matching top
tight black nylon pants for women
black skirts with the high slight on the outside of each thigh
khahki or jean "skorts"
large doonie and burke draw string leather purses
"abercrombie" posted across your chest on a sweater or t-shirt
skunk stripes in your hair or dark/dark purple/red hair color (for anyone under 65...)
colorful doc marten boots/shoes
jean overalls
pastel eye shadows
over tanning

fit men wearing unfitted button up shirts, tucked into jeans and too much fabric spilling over...
large pants with the crotch too low
branded everything
Holy crap I want a skort now.
And I still have my doc martens

Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Thanks for all of the replies! Interesting reading!

The ones that Annika mentioned really had never crossed my mind, but its true.

One style someone mentioned from the early 90s and one that I participated in were the young guys wearing demin overalls... and leaving one strap unfastened. lol. That was pretty big in the early-mid 90s... 1990-1997 if I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Trends I've noticed as of late-past decade or so? Capri pants. Crocs. Ugg boots. Platform sandals. Flare jeans. Wearing pajamas as regular clothing. Bed hair. Those rubber bracelets to represent a cause. Girls wearing those long bangs to the side that hang in their eyes. Guys sporting longer, layered hair-dos. Guys wearing make-up and even nail polish (yes). That Kid-Rock/Trailer look(wife beater, dirty, stringy hair). And the absolute worst...skinny jeans.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 AM

501 posts, read 1,064,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks for all of the replies! Interesting reading!
One style someone mentioned from the early 90s and one that I participated in were the young guys wearing demin overalls... and leaving one strap unfastened. lol. That was pretty big in the early-mid 90s... 1990-1997 if I recall.
Yeah, I had a pair of Union Bay overalls just like every other teen in the late 90s. I think fashion has changed quite a bit since the late 90s. It all varies depending on your geographical location and age, but in my view, fashion has become more androgynous for men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care