U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:37 AM

125 posts, read 358,665 times

Advertisements

Have you tried Carols Daughter? It sounds like youre washing her hair too much, I would wash it every two weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 01:05 PM

261 posts, read 1,171,165 times
Can I give another vote to the "Curly Girl" book mentioned before (and the method that goes with it)? For 23 years my daughter fought with her hair, attempting to straighten it or get it to curl consistently and it wasn't until she stopped shampooing it that she fell in love with it. It is now bouncy healthy shiny curls and it's all down to not using shampoos or anything with silicones in it (since if you use those you have to use shampoo to remove them). We both now use Trader Joes Nourish Conditioner (no laurel or laurel sulfates - $2.99 a bottle) and have no split ends or any other problem. Since I've been doing this, I've actually had people stop in in the street to compliment my hair (which is also gray), and at 53, that's an upper.

I know it seems odd (how do you get your hair clean if you don't use shampoo?) but I promise you after the first couple of weeks where you are weaning yourself off, you (and your daughter) won't look back when it comes to hair condition. I "wash" my hair (i.e. rub in conditioner thoroughly and then rinse out) every other day.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 17,963 times
I just wrote this long response that the site deleted, Thanks. Anyway, checkout "forum.blackhairmedia.com/" they have many bi-racial girls that can help and everyone responds immediately with awesome info. I'm sure there are ppl there that can recommend salons to you as well if that's the route you want to take. However, there is alot of info available on the site if you do a search there and re-post your thread from this site in their forum. Also, "longhaircareforum.com" but I recommend the first one. You and your daughter will be loving her hair in no time. I have seen posts like yours before on the blackhairmedia site myself.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:02 PM

17 posts, read 67,516 times
I'd also like to give my vote for the "Curly Girl" book. Also, Shi Salon on Olive (toward downtown) does natural hair and work very well with children's hair. They sell products by Mixed Chicks that I hear is a very good product for Mixed race. I use their products for my hair and I love them. I wouldn't recommend just going into any "black" salon, because not all stylists have the health of they're clients hair as a priority. I think you should, however, get recommendations from neighbors and co-workers like someone else said. If finding a salon is something you definitely want to do, I would go to a salon that specializes in doing natural hair because they would be comfortable in working with a variety of hair textures. Hope this helps

Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 PM

445 posts, read 956,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilawhit View Post
We just moved to STL from VA...
My daughter's hair... I don't know what else to do with it! She's biracial, I'm as white as you could possible imagine and her Daddy is milk chocolate. Her hair is both textures! Mine on top and down the sides, but the crown, back, and at the neck... she got from her Daddy! Please help! I've tried everything I can think of to get the back soft and looking healthy... but it is still rough and so dry! Can anyone recommend a FANTASTIC stylist! One that help me get my daughter's hair healthy and as naturally as possible?! I don't want to use any harsh chemicals!
I would really appreciate any help!

PS Did I mention my daughter is a toddler... in case that matters!
Thanks! I hope everyone had a great weekend!
Hey Jilawhit,
Listen, go online to Mixed Chicks website, and Urbanbella. These two websites that have products that are, for the most part, designed for women doing the natural hairstyles (no relaxer) but, I'm sure you can use these products on your daughter's hair.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:48 PM

141 posts, read 383,742 times
I don't think anyone has mentioned covering your daughter's hair. It's so important because if its soft and shiny when you do it then she sleeps and rubs all of the moisture on her pillow.. she'll end up with dry hair and an "itchy" face.
My youngest is mixed and I generally use household ( not brand specific) Olive oil and Pantene Relaxed & Natural conditioner on her. If she is a toddler she may not keep a satin scarf on ( have been told satin is the best for the head) so try an old pair of her panties they should fit good and not come off while she sleeps.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:52 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,115,727 times
Jilawhit, I don't know if anyone has recommended this yet (I haven't read all the posts), but maybe you should tie your daughters hair in a silk headscarf at night. If I don't tie mine up with one, it gets dry and frizzled as well. The pillow soaks up any moisture in the hair, that is why you need the scarf to protect it. You don't have to tie it around her head in any fancy way, just tie it around like a "pirate" or like you see the young adults wrap their heads with scarves out in public.

Also, after you wash her hair with shampoo and rinse out conditioner, immediately put some kind of hair polish/shine on her hair while it is still damp, comb it out a bit, and allow it to dry. I use Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine anti-frizz serum. If you wait to condition until the hair has already dried completely, then it will be harder to get it moisturized and manageable.

And also also, after you wash her hair, you could put a good conditioner in and let it sit in her hair for 10 min (or more, depending on you schedule or how 'restless' the child is, lol). I leave in regular conditioner (like Dove's Intense Damage Therapy conditioner or Aussie) for 10-20 minutes or until it gets hard, then I wash it out. It makes my hair so soft!

I hope this helps.

*edit* I just read some more posts. Please don't wash your child's hair every two weeks. That's nasty. I would wash her hair once or twice a week, depending how dirty (oily, dirt, smell) the hair gets. I wash mine twice a week and I am fine.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 PM

99 posts, read 130,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Jilawhit, I don't know if anyone has recommended this yet (I haven't read all the posts), but maybe you should tie your daughters hair in a silk headscarf at night. If I don't tie mine up with one, it gets dry and frizzled as well. The pillow soaks up any moisture in the hair, that is why you need the scarf to protect it. You don't have to tie it around her head in any fancy way, just tie it around like a "pirate" or like you see the young adults wrap their heads with scarves out in public.

Also, after you wash her hair with shampoo and rinse out conditioner, immediately put some kind of hair polish/shine on her hair while it is still damp, comb it out a bit, and allow it to dry. I use Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine anti-frizz serum. If you wait to condition until the hair has already dried completely, then it will be harder to get it moisturized and manageable.

And also also, after you wash her hair, you could put a good conditioner in and let it sit in her hair for 10 min (or more, depending on you schedule or how 'restless' the child is, lol). I leave in regular conditioner (like Dove's Intense Damage Therapy conditioner or Aussie) for 10-20 minutes or until it gets hard, then I wash it out. It makes my hair so soft!

I hope this helps.

*edit* I just read some more posts. Please don't wash your child's hair every two weeks. That's nasty. I would wash her hair once or twice a week, depending how dirty (oily, dirt, smell) the hair gets. I wash mine twice a week and I am fine.
I just want to say again wrap her hair or buy satin pillow cases. Cotton will just dry it out even more. I am of mixed race and so are my children. Getting really dry in the back sounds like she's just sleeping that moisture away.

Washing her hair once a week is plenty for a toddler. If you wash it too much it will take away some of the natuarl moisture that's in the skin. (scalp is sking too) Keeping it full of moisture is going to be key. As far as products, you'll just have to try them until you find one that works. Just be careful of products made for relaxed hair. It will dry it out even more. My children and I use oils that are natural and made for scalp and body. It would be great to find a natural hair salon where you live.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:40 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,982,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilawhit View Post
I wanted to say THANK YOU to all those that replied for my plea of help concerning my daughter's hair! I've started using Garneir Fructise leave in conditioner and Olive Oil hair lotion and shampoo. And I've cut back on how often I wash her hair. Her hair looks beautiful the night I wash it, put in all the conditioners & lotions... but come morning... it's ALMOST as dry as before I washed it. Usually every other night, I'll wet her hair and reapply the conditioner & hair lotion... but I'm still at a loss.
Do I continue to try different products? Constantly trying different products... will that do more harm than good? I'm desperate...
I've tried calling several of the Sallons in the area, but rarely do I hear back from them...
Can anyone please recommend a particular person? I feel so bad for my daughter... I know she doesn't care what her hair looks like; as long as she gets to play with her Doggy and her Cabbage Patch baby... nothing else really matters. I'm worried that if her hair continues to go untreated properly I'm looking at a bigger crisis in the future! Please help! And by the way... we're in Wentzville. Not sure if that makes a big difference or not, but I'm willing to travel if need be to get the hair care she needs! How can I teach her how to care for her appearance and good hygiene if I don't know myself! Can somebody please teach me?!
Thank you again to everyone! Have a great week!
African Americans dont wash there hair that often. Your daughters hair may not need to be washed as often as you are currently washing it. Try washing it a little less and using the moisturizer in the morning when you do her hair as well as when you wash it.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 AM

71 posts, read 220,043 times
Hello! here are a few tips, also please keep in mind that i haven't read any of the other comments so if i'm repeating what has already been said, my apologies

1. DO NOT WASH HER HAIR DAILY as this will only further contribute to the dryness.
2. Moisturizer is her friend the link below is a product that i think is great for her hair.

Amazon.com: Avlon - Kera Care Conditioning Creme Hairdress 8 oz.: Health & Personal Care

3. NEVER BUY PRODUCTS WITH MINERAL OIL...will these products may seem good they actually aren't
4. Lastly i would suggest having someone braid her hair once every week or two weeks as this will limit the combing and brushing and damage of the hair. and it will allow her hair to regain it's strength..also keep in mind that it may take sometime for her to get used to the braiding but she will get used to it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or