Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 14,012 times

Advertisements

We just moved to STL from VA...
My daughter's hair... I don't know what else to do with it! She's biracial, I'm as white as you could possible imagine and her Daddy is milk chocolate. Her hair is both textures! Mine on top and down the sides, but the crown, back, and at the neck... she got from her Daddy! Please help! I've tried everything I can think of to get the back soft and looking healthy... but it is still rough and so dry! Can anyone recommend a FANTASTIC stylist! One that help me get my daughter's hair healthy and as naturally as possible?! I don't want to use any harsh chemicals!
I would really appreciate any help!

PS Did I mention my daughter is a toddler... in case that matters!
Thanks! I hope everyone had a great weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 08:33 PM

44 posts, read 248,659 times
Hi! I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this post. I don't know of any hair stylist, but I do have some advice I could give you in the mean time while you find a stylist.

It sounds like you daughter needs a good moisturizer, because you said your daughters hair was rough and dry. And it sounds like she has two different textures of hair.

There are many kinds of moisturizers you can try on your daughters hair, it's really about trial and error, trying to find the right one that works for your daughters hair type.

Motions also has a great moisturizer, and it's really light so it won't weight her hair down. I also use this product as well. Elasta QP Mango Butter, and Organic Root Stimulator Shea Butter works great as well. Your daughter will need a good moisturizer on the parts of her hair that is rough and dry so that it won't break off. And it's best if you don't try to comb or brush the rough parts of her hair without putting a moisturizer on it first. You can also wet her hair just a little and then place the moisturizer on it, this way the water locks in the moisture. Having a moisturizer should make her hair easier to style and comb the way you want it.

You can try this in the mean time until you find a stylist. A lot of these products can be bought at Sally Beauty Supply!

Old 09-14-2009, 04:19 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Jilawit, you don't say what part of St. Louis you're in -- that could make a difference.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-14-2009 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: remove orphaned material

Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM

22 posts, read 70,984 times
OH yes, try good moisturizers. Actually I would stop in to an upscale saloon and ask for a product. Bring the toddler with. I'm betting she's really cute and will love the attention.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 14,012 times
Unhappy PLEASE HELP! Response

I wanted to say THANK YOU to all those that replied for my plea of help concerning my daughter's hair! I've started using Garneir Fructise leave in conditioner and Olive Oil hair lotion and shampoo. And I've cut back on how often I wash her hair. Her hair looks beautiful the night I wash it, put in all the conditioners & lotions... but come morning... it's ALMOST as dry as before I washed it. Usually every other night, I'll wet her hair and reapply the conditioner & hair lotion... but I'm still at a loss.
Do I continue to try different products? Constantly trying different products... will that do more harm than good? I'm desperate...
I've tried calling several of the Sallons in the area, but rarely do I hear back from them...
Can anyone please recommend a particular person? I feel so bad for my daughter... I know she doesn't care what her hair looks like; as long as she gets to play with her Doggy and her Cabbage Patch baby... nothing else really matters. I'm worried that if her hair continues to go untreated properly I'm looking at a bigger crisis in the future! Please help! And by the way... we're in Wentzville. Not sure if that makes a big difference or not, but I'm willing to travel if need be to get the hair care she needs! How can I teach her how to care for her appearance and good hygiene if I don't know myself! Can somebody please teach me?!
Thank you again to everyone! Have a great week!

Old 09-28-2009, 08:47 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,930 times
I know several people that SWEAR by this book: Curly Girl Challenge

Pick it up!!

If you google the Curly Girl method, you can find guidelines online too (How to Follow the Curly Girl Method for Curly Hair (with video) - wikiHow), but I know the book gives SPECIFIC product recs.

These are salons in St. Louis that follow the Curly Girl methods: Curly Girl and St Louis - Google Maps

Old 09-28-2009, 10:50 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
A few drops of Jojoba oil on the scalp is nice for moisturizing, in addition to the other moisturizers people are suggesting. I would also recommend keeping in simple, not to go to wild over a lot of different products.

Biracial hair type is usually very dry and too much washing (or even wetting it often) can strip the natural oil that takes a couple of days to build up. Try even going 3 days without washing and using light leave in moisturizers.

Limiting most intensive combing to when hair is wet helps and of course combing when dry, always begin at the bottom- curly dry hair prone to split ends and damage with improper care- like a lot of hair.

And patience! I remember the years of hair care rituals my mom went through with me until I was able to start handling my own wild curly locks!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
A few drops of Jojoba oil on the scalp is nice for moisturizing, in addition to the other moisturizers people are suggesting. I would also recommend keeping in simple, not to go to wild over a lot of different products.

Biracial hair type is usually very dry and too much washing (or even wetting it often) can strip the natural oil that takes a couple of days to build up. Try even going 3 days without washing and using light leave in moisturizers.

Limiting most intensive combing to when hair is wet helps and of course combing when dry, always begin at the bottom- curly dry hair prone to split ends and damage with improper care- like a lot of hair.

And patience! I remember the years of hair care rituals my mom went through with me until I was able to start handling my own wild curly locks!
Just go into a black hair stylist and ask them to help your with your child's hair. Blacks have a variety of hair types and combinations so they are accustom to and know what you should do. Have them look AND feel the hair texture and choose which is best BUT TELL THEM YOU DON"T WANT ANY CHEMICALS PUT IN HER HAIR.

PS
Ask a coworker, neighbor for a small beauty shop instead of the large..."looking for a client" type

Old 09-29-2009, 01:56 AM

445 posts, read 1,071,346 times
Hello. Me and my daughter have a mixed grade of hair, that may be similar to your daughter's hair. You have to remember, you have to add product to this kind of hair and wash less often. Leave in conditioners and certain oils will help. I used to wash, condition, and braid my daughters hair, in lots of braids, using some kind of almond oil, or products found in the "ethnic" aisle at stores. I don't recommend chemicals such as relaxers at this stage of the game. Go to Urbanbella website. They have products you can order, that might help. This site caters to women who wear their hair "natural" (no relaxers). Mostly curly/coarse hair types. Send me a msg if you need some more help. You're not alone out there. Even today, I still experiment with products, as does my daughter. (I am black/native american with course hair w/some waviness, and my daughter, has curly, thick hair, AND, she is "tenderheaded" lol.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:20 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Have you tried olive oil?
The extra virgin grade is best.

There's also a book called, It's All Good Hair. You might want to look into that.

I wish you the best.

I have a bi-racial step sis and her hair reminds me of barbie doll hair except curlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care