U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 11:48 AM

125 posts, read 359,265 times

Advertisements

Have any of you tried it(what have you tried or currently use) and do you like it? Im intereseted in some of the products i'd just like to know if I should try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 12:12 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,643,653 times
I use the foaming face wash it's excellent.

It's called the: "Bring in the Moisture - Gentle Face Wash"

I've also tried the shower gels and a perfume.

The price is reasonable for the quality - no frills packaging so you're getting the product and not the packaging.

I say try them.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:46 PM

83 posts, read 243,219 times
I read somewhere that Brad Pitt uses these products on his daughter's hair ...

Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,547,892 times
IMHO, it's a bit overpriced. seriously, $12 for a small bottle of shampoo? I love hair and body products w/ all natural ingredients, but I can find organic products at Whole Foods for less money that that and w/ similar ingredients. plus, other than the Tui shampoo, I found that their products did nothing for my hair (I have natural hair). can't speak for the body products, but I won't buy the hair products again unless someone gives me s gift card to splurge on the Tui shampoo. I don't mind spending $$ of quality products, but I had better see results (I love certain Aveda products, despite the fact that they're expensive). the products do smell lovely however, but you could probably replicate the smell by using the same essential oils they use

I've heard from many others on different hair forums that CD was a much better product before they went mainstream and started being hyped up by celebs. as much as I want to support a BOB, I can't justify the costs and, IMO, poor quality product

Old 12-09-2009, 12:02 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,850,673 times
I using Some of Marguerite's Magic (SOMM) and Black Vanilla Leave-In conditioning spray for my daughter's hair. The scent is nice, esp. the leave-in, and SOMM is good for softening and lubricating the hair. I also like the Hair Balm, although it's difficult to get out the bottle. The Hair Elixir is nice too. The latter two are good for lubricating. And the Khoret Amen deep conditioner works well, but I can't get with the scent.

The only product that I see buying again is SOMM. And maybe the Black Vanilla leave-in. But I'm trying to cut costs, and I use a variety of products that I like just as well.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,107,873 times
I agree that they're overpriced.
You can find lots of reasonably priced natural and/or organic shampoos at Whole Foods and come out with better results than Carol's Daughter will give you.

I have never used it but I've heard plenty of people who have had so-so results with them.

Are you mostly interested in moisturizing?
Styling?

I am sure there are some less expensive alternatives to Carol's Daughter that will work just fine.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:17 PM

39 posts, read 221,469 times
Personally I wouldn't buy any of the hair products. IMO they aren't as good as they used to be when she first came out. But I love the Almond Cookie Body Lotion. Thats the only product of theirs that I am a die hard fan of. It smells great and makes your skin soft.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 PM

47 posts, read 95,690 times
When i first start using Carol's Daughter products, i actually loved them. but i do agree with the other posters about the items being pricey. the way i get around that is use sparingly. the items that i bought from c/d back in '08 i still have the majority of them.

the products i bought are:

hair milk - when i was natural + curly i LOVED this stuff! i have locs now but back then after i washed/conditioned my hair, i put on the hair milk and just let it air dry. no frizzies -- even in the humid-as-all-hell northeast summertime - and just enough shine without greasiness. if i ever go back to curls(which i might) , i would definitely consider restocking on this.

loc butter - when i decided to loc my hair, besides shampooing and conditioner, this is the only product i used. i didn't want to use straight up beeswax on my dreads, so i got this. its ok. i really have nothing to compare it to but it did the task at hand. it moisturized and i do believe it helped my hair loc up. i still have the original 8oz tub i purchased and there's still some product left. i alternate between this and coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, to moisturize my hair.

black vanilla leave-n conditioner - ok, so i absolutely LOVE,LOVE,LOOOVVEE this scent! yeah, it's that serious. it is such a UNIQUE scent that you either love it or hate it. i love it. it has that vanilla scent you of course expect from the title but turned up and turned out. it's such a deep, warm, interesting smell. i couldn't even tell you if it conditions the hair...i've always used it for the scent. i just would layer it on top of whatever moisturizer/oil/conditioner i decided to use that day. i ran out of this stuff months ago, but i have the original bottle and just put water in it. still got the scent so why not...

khoret amen herbal shampoo with sea mist - another purchase based off of scent. when i smelled this in the store, i loved it. smelled like the ocean but musky(in a good, sexy way). it lathers up beautifully and the scent stays with you, so it depends on the person, if that's a good thing. again, i had the original bottle with only the smallest left in the bottle. i went out and bought some dr. bronner's original scent and just filled up the bottle. same lather, if not better with the bronner's soap, and still that same strong scent that i dig. so i'm good with that.

mimosa hair honey - used this a lot when i had the curls. i liked it. nice citrus + honey scent. moisturized really well, not too greasy but there was some to be had. when the hair milk dried on my hair, it was pretty much undetectable when you touched my hair but with the mimosa honey, there was some slippy/greasy feel. but i've seen/had worse so it was ok.

only thing i wasn't absolutely digging was the ocean cleansing gel that i bought. i can honestly say that was NOT worth the money. yes, its natural but nothing special at all. and it didn't lather up as a body cleansing gel should. i'm not going to even put some bronners in it. the scent was unimpressive and i was really disappointed with the lack of lather.

so in conclusion, my overall experience with carol's daughter has been good. there are several products i really got into but some hit-and-miss. and that's probably the case with any product line. the prices are a bit much and i am concerned that now the company is mainstreamed, it will sacrifice its natural roots for those greenbacks. but you cant really know what a product's worth until you try it with your own hair and see the results. then you can determine if its really worth the money and the trouble. i hope all that helps!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 PM

72 posts, read 128,222 times
I know I'm a little late answering but I really love the hair milk. I'm an african american woman who wears her hair naturally and the hair milk is great at giving my hair moisture without being too heavy. I think the price is pretty reasonable. You should definitely give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or