Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I know in some hair and nail shops around here,there are teens who help wash clients hair and paint nails.Usually,they are the owner's kids.
Often,the parents and kids are immigrants.

I'm not sure how that would work
In a well run salon, those are called assistants. They're fresh out of cos/esti school that don't have any experience in a salon. They assist the stylists for a while, and then move up and start taking their own clients.

Usually they are paid an hourly wage and get tips from clients for doing shampoo's and stuff. Some don't pay them an hourly wage at all and they are just given tips from clients and "tipped out" at the end of the week from the person they are assisting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 12:16 AM

429 posts, read 971,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Right. But when they tell you what hours and days to work, and what to wear to work, you are not running your own business, you are an employee. About time they investigated this scam.
most booth rental salons do not tell you the hours to work or what to wear or what products or lines to use. Most booth rentals you are truly jut renting the space from someone or at least in my experiences with the places i have worked that were booth rental.

On a totally side note the government has been keeping a close eye on salons for awhile now. prob 7 yrs ago somene from the irs was going around to all the salos in my area and speaking to the owners. and more or less what the irs said was. As a whole the salon industry had not been reporting tips and they need to do that. and that if the salon and hairdressers comply and tart reporting their tips immediently then the irs wont investegate the previous years. Now they didnt say these exact words but that was the message they were trying to get across
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care