Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 03:37 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,153,706 times

Advertisements

About 2 months ago a salon did a semi-permanent coloring with a few highlights over my previously highlighted hair. I wanted to keep the dark golden blonde color but it turned reddish. Now, to save money, I want to color my hair at home--do I have to wait for it to completely grow out? What coloring products are okay to use on treated hair? Want to cover grey hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 04:14 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,247 times
What is your natural hair color and how much gray do you have? Semi-permanent doesn't last as long as permanent and it covers the gray much better. To stay away from reddish tones go for neutral colors or ones that have an N with the number. Dark golden blond would be a 6 or 7 level and would say G for golden or NG for neutral golden or even W for warm. I would go to Sally's if you have one near you where you have more choice of hair color and can buy the tubes and peroxide separately.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:36 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
Warm tones will have red undertones. If you want to stay away from red...go with a neutral base color. Level 8 N or 8 G ( would go with N). Since your hair is highlighted under all of this, it will pull color quickly. If you do a 6, you will be dark. Since you are going to be depositing color (going darker) use a mild developer.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
What is your natural hair color and how much gray do you have? Semi-permanent doesn't last as long as permanent and it covers the gray much better. To stay away from reddish tones go for neutral colors or ones that have an N with the number. Dark golden blond would be a 6 or 7 level and would say G for golden or NG for neutral golden or even W for warm. I would go to Sally's if you have one near you where you have more choice of hair color and can buy the tubes and peroxide separately.
My natural color is light golden brown with about 15% grey. Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, there's a Sally's where we shop. When I phoned Clairol they told me I had to first let my hair grow completely out but I don't want to wait that long!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Warm tones will have red undertones. If you want to stay away from red...go with a neutral base color. Level 8 N or 8 G ( would go with N). Since your hair is highlighted under all of this, it will pull color quickly. If you do a 6, you will be dark. Since you are going to be depositing color (going darker) use a mild developer.
Thank you. Wonder if the gal at the salon did NOT use a neutral base because I warned her that my hair pulls red. It was a pretty, strawberry blond so I was able to live with the color but asked her and manager if they could next time get my hair back to a golden color without red and they told me they could not! (what????). Only salon within 2 hours drive :-(

Old 04-13-2010, 10:10 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Certain dyes mixed over others can make the hair melt or turn a weird color. So its the safe advice to do nothing until its cut out. To help get out that red use purple toned shampoo:
Buy Jhirmack Shampoo, Silver Brightening Online at drugstore.com

It may or may not work. Its a nice shampoo either way though.

I would ask at sally's about putting a semi perm dye over it for now to blend in your dye line while it grows. Whenever I did color overhauls I listed all the products I used and then asked and researched what could be used over them. Then I did still chop out a test lock to make sure it would not melt or turn a funny color.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:45 AM

Purple shampoo will not remove red. The only color that will cancel red is green/ash.

I would go with a semi perm color. It is more gentle and you can do it in a neutral color. Downfall is it fades and needs retouched more often. But it will definitly leave your hair in better condition. So if you go to Sally's,,,go with the semi perm. You don't need all the developer/peroxide because you are depositing color...not lifting (going lighter).. They also have little ampules you can add to your color for grey coverage. I would suggest putting one of those into your color as well.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
The purple cancels out the yellow tones(brass) of it and makes it look more brown than red. Most hair never has a true plain red. But more a combo of yellow and red which makes it look strawberry/orange/brassy.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:36 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
Underlying pigment is a reddish/orange color. In lighter hair it is not so concentrated and will appear yellow/orange, but the darker the hair is, the more red the effect since it contains greater concentrations of the underlying pigment. Violet shampoo will tone yellow brassiness in blonde shades but it cannot cancel the stronger orange/red shades that occur in darker hair colors, you need blue to cancel orange and green to cancel red. Formulating those shades is pretty tricky and I am not aware of any blue or green shampoos out there for this purpose.

I am in a similar boat as the OP with my very ashy light brown hair. Even the gentlest amounts of lift reveal strong red/orange tones, and no matter how ashy the formula is, it can't counter it and there is always too warm a result. I finally tired of this and stopped using any lift at all. Now I use a semi-permanent by Clairol called Radiance, in a golden blonde shade. It makes my greys look like blondes and blends them into the rest of my hair. Obviously this approach won't work forever as the greys become more numerous but for now it works great. It's also nice because it doesn't change my hair's natural texture.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
The purple cancels out the yellow tones(brass) of it and makes it look more brown than red. Most hair never has a true plain red. But more a combo of yellow and red which makes it look strawberry/orange/brassy.

Sorry...

BLUING shampoo (what you keep calling purple shampoo) cancels out yellow/brass. Red untertones and brassiness are not corrected the same way. Bluing shampoo is a temporary fix for brassy undertones on blondes/grey/silver hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care