U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 04:35 PM

10 posts, read 23,587 times

Advertisements

We're going to be relocating soon and one of our options at the moment is Hampton, VA (specifically, my husband would be working at Langley). We have a 6 year old who is autistic and I would like to get feedback from anyone who has had an autistic child in a school anywhere within 30 to 40 miles of Langley. Our daughter is verbal and has been getting ABA in a private therapy center with typical kids where socialization has been stressed. But we can no longer afford this and will have to send her to public school. We can afford up to $1800/month on housing (would prefer a 3 bedroom house with a yard, if possible). We prefer to live in the country but this is not a necessity. And as short of a drive as possible for my husband would be good. But the MOST important thing at this point is our daughter's education and therapy. Any information is very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 11:03 AM

61 posts, read 138,327 times
My children attend Chittum Elementary in Western Branch, Chesapeake, Virginia (23321) area. I googled and found this is 23 miles/33 minutes from Langley, but it is always a good idea to check commute time , because traffic can be bad!
Anyhow, I just volunteered at the Chittum field day events which ran two day. The first day was for KG-2nd, and the second day was 2nd grade through 5th grade. It was well run. The teachers and children were respectful and joyful. What impressed me was how well the special needs children were integrated with classes. In some cases, there were extra people to help children that had special needs. All of the children played all the games, and I never saw one class where there was a problem with any special needs children being left out.
While I think that Chittum seems to be a good school for special needs children, I have only known one parent with a special needs child at the school. They were happy though, and they had been at the school for several years.
I hope that you get advice from parents about schools that would be closer to you though. Should you ever want info on housing in Western Branch let me know. People usually put up signs in the summer. I passed a sign last week, but it was for an enormous house and was $2,000 monthly rental.
Wherever you live, ask about monthly utilities. It gets hot here, and a house with tight windows and insulation can save you lots of money.
Hampton, Newport News, Suffolk, Smithfield would all be closer for you. I don't know about those schools though. GOOD LUCK. THere are lots of family friendly things to do in this area.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:59 PM

140 posts, read 479,872 times
If your husband is going to be working at Langley AFB, I'd highly recommend looking on the Peninsula (Hampton, Newport News, York Co, Poquoson) and possibly Isle of Wight (Smithfield/Carrollton) first. Traffic can really be a pain, particularly on I-64 through the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel.

You may want to check out those schools systems mentioned above first. You should be able to find a decent rental home for $1800.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 8,780 times
Poquson would be ideal for you all....that is in the York County School Distrcit, which is awesome. Also Poquson is set off a little from the major roads and the hussle and bussle. Poquson is very close to Langley AFB as well. I am sure you all could find a rental in that area in your price range.

I wish you good luck with your family and I hope this transistion will be an easy one for you.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM

140 posts, read 479,872 times
Actually, Poquoson is an independent city with its own school system, also highly rated. They do share some city services with York County, but not school systems.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:21 PM

8 posts, read 22,660 times
Go to the website meetup.com and search for meetup groups in Hampton Roads for parents with autistic children. My son has asperger's and before we moved here I used the meetup groups for a lot of information regarding schools/services, etc. I know for sure there is an Asperger's meetup group called Hampton Roads Aspie Angels. That group is located in Hampton (near Langly) and have a wealth of knowledge for families with austism spectrum children (the full spectrum) in that area. We actually live further south, but my understanding is the Williamsburg schools are pretty good for their services. Someone posted about Chesapeake, which I believe can have good services but may be to far to travel due to the tunnel system we have here.

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2010, 05:30 PM

5,765 posts, read 8,405,021 times
I would go with VA Beach even though it's farther. They have a great SPED program. They also participate in SECEP as do all the south side cities. I haven't heard anything good about the ASD services on the peninsula from the several people I know who work in them. I hear things ranging class size to large trying not to comply with IEPs.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,896 times
We are also a military family looking to relocate and have three kids currently receiving private ABA therapy. I have researched Langley AFB and the surrounding areas because I wanted a private autism within 30 miles of the base. I have not found a private autism center but if you are looking for a public setting, the best option would be the New Horizons for Autism located in Newport News less than 10 minutes from the base. Although it is not private 1:1 therapy, there are small classes and is located at a well-rated public school. Free bus transportation provided and full-day free. I would have considered it however at this time, my kids still need the intensive 1:1 therapy so unfortunately for us, Langley AFB is not an option for us right now. Good luck on your selection and we are going through the same thing looking for the right base with the best services. I have some info on other autism centers near other bases nearby and around the country if you need it. We are getting to ready to put in our base choices soon...so few to really choose from.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,429,996 times
EMG Consulting offers private home based 1:1 ABA instruction. Navigation Behavior Consulting is another. And I would suggest York schools on this side of the water- star far away from WJCC for any and all sped.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,842 times
The Learning Resource Center in Virginia Beach has an outstanding ABA program. The offer 1:1, small group, in-home and in clinic services. We have been very happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area