U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 01:23 AM

1,403 posts, read 1,799,449 times

Advertisements

I found four Catholic parishes in Newport News and York County.

Can someone provide some insights into what they are like? Specifically, which one is considered the most "orthodox"? Is it St. Joan of Arc, for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,068 times
I am moving there soon and recently attended Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. It seems they have an active, vibrant parish, although if you are looking for something very traditional, I would try another church. There are no kneelers so everyone stands at the Consecration, and they used leavened bread. The congregation is lined up on either side of the main aisle so that everyone faces each other. If you find a parish you like, please post back!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving730 View Post
I am moving there soon and recently attended Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. It seems they have an active, vibrant parish, although if you are looking for something very traditional, I would try another church. There are no kneelers so everyone stands at the Consecration, and they used leavened bread. The congregation is lined up on either side of the main aisle so that everyone faces each other. If you find a parish you like, please post back!
No kneelers???!!! No unleavened bread???!!!

This is a Catholic church?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:15 AM

37 posts, read 75,301 times
Try Church of the Immaculate Conception-on Todds Lane in Hampton. St. Gregory in Va Beach.
If you have access to Langley AFB-the parish there is wonderful.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:50 AM

If I am going to drive across water, I think I will go to St. Benedict's Chapel in Chesapeake, which I believes has daily mass, daily confession and High Mass.

I was hoping that someone here would be able to provide some information about the atmosphere of the 4-5 parishes that exist in Newport News and York County.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:12 PM

37 posts, read 75,301 times
You asked...

The Catholic communties are small in Hampton Roads. Most parish's will be "non-traditional" to court the youngsters...

Seems I remember you lambasting about the lack of ethnic restaraunts in Hampton Roads too...

Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas3588 View Post
You asked...

The Catholic communties are small in Hampton Roads. Most parish's will be "non-traditional" to court the youngsters...

Seems I remember you lambasting about the lack of ethnic restaraunts in Hampton Roads too...
I did notice that the Catholic population there is quite small.

You have to understand, I am coming from the Arlington Diocese, in which there are many parishes that offer Latin Mass (both Tridentine and Novus Ordo) and where the Tradition of the Church is held in reverence.

It looks like I would really like St. Benedict's Chapel in Chesapeake, but unfortunately I have two little ones (both under 2) and it might be too much for them (an hour to the chapel, hour to hour and a half for Mass, hour back -- total of three to three and a half hours). My children know nothing but the Latin Mass (actually Novus Ordo in Latin with a full professional Latin Choir that sings Gregorian Chants), and I really would like to keep them away from what my godfather calls "clown ministry."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area