Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:36 PM

6 posts, read 18,820 times

Advertisements

We are moving down to the Tidewater area. We have been living in Lynchburg, Va for 8 years. My husband and I both grew up in Hampton. We do not want to live in Hampton or Newport News area.
We really like Williamsburg area , Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. We have 2 children, one is going into K. We need really good schools.
I would like to find a great family neighborhood to possibly rent first then buy. I want to make sure it is the right area first. I don't want to have to switch my daughter from a new school. I would like to set roots down.
My husband is working in a office in Newport News and one in Va Beach too. He doesn't mind driving alittle bit but it would be nice to be near the highway.
Our price is $250,000-300,000. A 3 bedroom home is fine with us too.
We looked in the Springhill neighborhood and the Meadows ( I really liked it) I would love to find a neighborhood with a community pool, club house etc.
We did look in Va Beach but it seems to be more expensive over there. Does anyone know about the Chesepeake area? Schools?
Can anyone recommend any other neighborhoods in Williamsburg? I like that area because it is near family.
Any help would be great. It has been 20 years since we lived down there and so much as changed !!!!
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:49 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,044,381 times
I only know about Williamsburg and I think Berkley's Green is one of the best neighborhoods for the money! Many of the homes need updating, some have been updated, but the neighborhood has a pool, tennis courts, playground and it's in a great location with great schools. I also like Jamestown Hundred located across from Jamestown High School~ not sure if there's a pool there, but walking trails and good schools. Mr. Williamsburg is very knowledgable of the area and can help you find the right place in Williamsburg. You may want to check out New Kent as well! There are some great deals in Brickshire and that is a gorgeous neighborhood!!! ~also good schools!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 PM

11 posts, read 22,641 times
Yes, Williamsburg is a great area the cost of living is lower than Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. I have been in the area for many years and Williamsburg is a great place to live! Springhill, The Meadows and Berkley's Green are some of the great places to live in Williamsburg. Some of the other neighborhoods mentioned the homes selling higher than 300K, the New Kent area is a little further out which would add to your husband's commute time to Newport News and Virginia Beach. I did a quick MLS search and found several neighborhoods with all the features that you wanted priced between 250K and 300K. I grew up in the Williamsburg area it is a great place to raise a family with great schools, shopping, dining, entertaining, etc.
When is your family moving to the area? Will you be visiting the area soon? How can I get this information to you?
Many professionals in the Hampton Roads area commute from Williamsburg becuase it is a great place to live.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:18 AM

13 posts, read 36,463 times
Default We are moving in August

and found a great house in Queenswood. It's address is Williamsburg, but it is in York County. There are 7-8 houses in that neighborhood that are for sale. All are 3-4 bedrooms and all are between 235k and 300k. We spent our last two vacations looking around the area. We are moving from a small community in NH and chose this area because the middle & high schools are a bit smaller than the rest of the area (Queens Lake & Bruton) We also liked the Elementary school (Magruder) We may purchase later on and found this area to be more affordable both in initial price and taxes. (Although, coming from NE where we pay $!6,000.00/yr on a 217,000 home EVERYTHING seems reasonable in VA!)

Hope this helps
Karen

Old 06-29-2010, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the advice. We did like the neighborhood, Berkley's Green. My husband thinks it is too far of a drive for him just to get to the highway. He did find a neighborhood called, Scott's Pond. He said it was nice. Does anyone know anything about that one? We are thinking about renting before we buy, just so we can be sure. I would love to find a house to rent in one of the neighborhoods we really like. We are looking at moving sometime this summer before school starts.
If you know of some other areas, please email me.
savinman@hotmail.com

Thanks again for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm.investing View Post
Yes, Williamsburg is a great area the cost of living is lower than Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. I have been in the area for many years and Williamsburg is a great place to live! Springhill, The Meadows and Berkley's Green are some of the great places to live in Williamsburg. Some of the other neighborhoods mentioned the homes selling higher than 300K, the New Kent area is a little further out which would add to your husband's commute time to Newport News and Virginia Beach. I did a quick MLS search and found several neighborhoods with all the features that you wanted priced between 250K and 300K. I grew up in the Williamsburg area it is a great place to raise a family with great schools, shopping, dining, entertaining, etc.
When is your family moving to the area? Will you be visiting the area soon? How can I get this information to you?
Many professionals in the Hampton Roads area commute from Williamsburg becuase it is a great place to live.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:38 PM

You can email me the info at savinman@hotmail.com

Thank you !!

Old 06-30-2010, 06:10 PM

11 posts, read 22,641 times
Scotts Pond is a nice nieghborhood as well many of the homes were built around 2001. They have open floor plans tons of space and located in a well maintained neighborhood. This is a great area in Willamsburg/ James City County located to shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. Scott Ponds is a very family friendly neighborhood and the elementary school that your little one will be attending recieved the Virginia Board of Education Excellence Award this past year! Take a look at the school board website: Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools Scotts Pond is zoned for Norge Elementary. This may be the neighborhood that your family is looking for! Does the commute time work for your husband? I can send you information on rental homes and homes for sale in the area. Can I send them to your email?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:21 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,044,381 times
Well, I have to say that I have not lived in the area for a little over a year, but Scott's Pond was not a desired neighborhood because of the schools~ mainly the high school, but still this is coming from a former resident to a future resident. Of course everyone has their feelings on schools, and I personally do not have any experience with Warhill High School so I am simply telling you hear say!

Old 07-05-2010, 03:38 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,960,933 times
Villages of Westminster, Queenslake, Longhill Station, Berkeleys Green, Windsor Forest, First Colony and Kingspoint are a few neighborhoods that offer pools and or clubhouses. Homes under $300k will occassionally be available in them. You have to be patient. Another option would be to join a neighborhood pool. Windsor Forest, Queens Lake, First Colony, Kingswood and Kingspoint all allow outside residents to join.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:07 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,960,933 times
Williamsburg Bluffs has pool also..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area