U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:58 AM

90 posts, read 247,577 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved to VA BCH from Colorado for my husbands' job. In mid-April we set up electric with Dominion Power. When I spoke to the customer service representative on the phone, she told me I was not required to pay a deposit. At the time I was confused because everyone I had spoken to, said you have to pay one. (note: In Colorado I never had to pay a deposit for electric). But the lady on the phone reiterated that I didn't have to pay a deposit.

About a week after moving into our townhouse, I received a bill from Dominion Power saying I owed them $75.00 for a deposit & connection fee. I called them up and asked them why I'm being billed for a deposit, when I was informed I didn't have to. They told me that they're sorry they told me that, but I had to pay it. So I went ahead & paid over the phone.

I never receieved a bill last month, so I called Dominion & they said they would resend it to me. I never receieved that bill they "resent". Yesterday, I got another bill. Apparantly I was charged a late fee for not paying last month & now there are two more deposits of $60.00 on my new bill. Also, there are so many fees & installment fees on my bill...I'm actually being charged more money for all the fees than for actual electricity.

So basically in 2 months, I have been charged $525.00 by Dominion Power & from whom I've spoken to at my work...that amount is not unusual for the first few months after setting up a new account.

I haven't called them as of yet, because not-suprisingly they close their customer service at 7pm. I honestly feel like this company has come into my home & robbed me blind.

How is this legal? And has anyone else had this same problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:53 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,765,629 times
Welcome to monopoly energy. If you thought you were mad now, wait until the government rubber stamps their rate increases even when the cost of energy is falling.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,640,158 times
No, I didn't have to pay a deposit, but there was a charge for the hook up. I don't remember how much maybe 35$. You should have paid over the phone when you spoke to them to avoid late fees. I'm guessing the additional deposits are being required because of the late payment. They will be credited back to your bill after 1 year of good payment history. I would also check with the post office as to why you're having so much trouble with your mail. I don't even receive a paper bill anymore. I use my banks web bill pay.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:01 PM

90 posts, read 247,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
No, I didn't have to pay a deposit, but there was a charge for the hook up. I don't remember how much maybe 35$. You should have paid over the phone when you spoke to them to avoid late fees. I'm guessing the additional deposits are being required because of the late payment. They will be credited back to your bill after 1 year of good payment history. I would also check with the post office as to why you're having so much trouble with your mail. I don't even receive a paper bill anymore. I use my banks web bill pay.
The only times I spoke to them was when I originally set up the account, which was April 16th, then when I received a bill for a $75.00 deposit a week after that, and mid June when I called to ask where my bill was. Since then, I haven't received a bill or talked to anyone.

Honestly, I just feel like I was raped up the *beep*. I had electric power accounts both in Denver, Colorado & San Diego, California but never had a bill be as much as here. Makes me want to vomit, literally.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:23 PM

134 posts, read 478,857 times
They didn't get to be the 157th ranked company on the Fortune list by being nice or cheap. F*** em.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:34 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,739,490 times
Put yourself on their payment plan so you pay the same amount each month, (adjustments are only made once a year) then have them take it directly out of your bank account…nothing could be easier....so then you dont have to worry about when the bill is coming in the mail or how much it might be every month

Old 06-30-2010, 03:56 PM

127 posts, read 246,159 times
I've never had billing problems with Dominion however I will say their customer service is non-existant, their the monoply and there attitude shows it, I had to call them once when I had an outage and their response was "It may get fixed soon or it may not" so yep they suck basically lol.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:57 PM

127 posts, read 246,159 times
And another thing, they are famous for jerking you around when it comes to service calls/connecting power or whatnot, they will give you a 4 hour window and either be really late or not show period.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:20 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,900,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Caroline View Post
The only times I spoke to them was when I originally set up the account, which was April 16th, then when I received a bill for a $75.00 deposit a week after that, and mid June when I called to ask where my bill was. Since then, I haven't received a bill or talked to anyone.

Honestly, I just feel like I was raped up the *beep*. I had electric power accounts both in Denver, Colorado & San Diego, California but never had a bill be as much as here. Makes me want to vomit, literally.
Sign up for the e-bill and auto-pay. That way with a year of on time payments, you'll be able to get on the budget and save some serious money.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,819 times
I guess I beg to differ, we had to pay a deposit, and the service has been fine. No issues. Occasional storm related power outages. (Isabel-17days no power.... ) plus electricity is pretty cheap. My auto pay is 105 dollars a month....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area