U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 02:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,002 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Va. and a big motivator are good schools. We have one that will be in middle school, one in 1st grade, and one in pre-kindergarten. Thank you in advance for your reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 10:13 AM

23,032 posts, read 32,006,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracieOrtiz View Post
We are moving to Va. and a big motivator are good schools. We have one that will be in middle school, one in 1st grade, and one in pre-kindergarten. Thank you in advance for your reply!
Between those three Chesapeake would be the best.

But one thing to take into consideration is where you'll be working. If working on the Southside I'd eliminate NN from consideration. If on the Peninsula, then Chesapeake or Suffolk is out. Reason there is tunnel traffic is horrible. Specifically the Hampton-Roads Bridge Tunnel is bad. The Monitor-Merrimac Tunnel connects Southern Newport News, to Chesapeake and Suffolk and is better than the HRBT but there are no promises.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:19 PM

11 posts, read 20,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracieOrtiz View Post
Living here in the Hampton Roads area for many years I would agree that Chesapeake has the best school system. Also, Chesapeake is a really nice area and place to live plenty of dining, shopping, entertainment, etc. Check out this website it pertains all the information you want to know about the schools and the areas they are in. VDOE :: School Report Card
There are plenty of single family homes area in the Chesapeake area for your family. If you need any further help just reply to this post.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,002 times
Thank you very much for your replies!

Old 07-06-2010, 11:46 AM

11 posts, read 20,365 times
No problem had you guys had success locating a place to live? If not I did a quick MLS search through are several homes available for sale or for rent in the Chesapeake area. Just let me know if I can assist your family any further. Good Luck!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 PM

62 posts, read 236,155 times
I would not send my children to schools in NN unless is was a private school. I was in the NN school system and it was terrible.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:00 PM

50 posts, read 166,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizman56 View Post
I would not send my children to schools in NN unless is was a private school. I was in the NN school system and it was terrible.
Terrible how, exactly? I've read that the teacher/student ratio is low and the schools are supposedly "good."

Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 PM

23,032 posts, read 32,006,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi24 View Post
Terrible how, exactly? I've read that the teacher/student ratio is low and the schools are supposedly "good."
It depends on which individual school in Newport News. I had one cousin graduate from Denbigh HS and one from Woodside HS. Both have different experiences. There are good and bad schools in NN. Just do your research.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:28 AM

36 posts, read 99,757 times
If you are working in Newport News, but want to live in Chesapeake - the Western Branch of Chesapeake really is not a bad commute. I used to commute from there to near Oyster Point in Newport News and it usually only took a half an hour - the only days I would dread the Monitor-Merrimac would be Friday afternoon in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area