Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 10,788 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am coming down from Washington, DC for a year in Norfolk. I'll be workgin on the naval base.

I can't decide if I want to live in Ocean View or Ghent. I checked out a place in Ocean View which was right on the beach and I liked it a lot, but there wasn't much of a community feel to the area.

Alternatively, I really, really like the Ghent area. It reminds me of Capitol Hill or Dupont Circle - a lot of character and community.

What's a better area for a young person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 10:16 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,930,321 times
I like Ghent more than Ocean View. Ghent's right in the middle of everything, and you can get to Ocean View's beach in about 10 mins if you really want to go there. I've yet to figure out Ocean View - it's so hit or miss ("This block is nice, but that one is REALLY sketchy."). With Ghent I at least know what to expect, and it's easier to find which areas to avoid in that section of Norfolk. If you can find a place in Ghent that's within your price range, I say go for it!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:11 AM

290 posts, read 1,159,242 times
Ocean View is many parts is about Norfolks worst neighboorhood, definitely Ghent. But, welcome from DC, im trying to get a place in Northwest Dupont Circle as we speak.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 10,788 times
thanks guys - very helpful!

I guess I'll be coming down again to look at Ghent this weekend. I LOVE the apartments I've seen listed.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:56 AM

85 posts, read 319,688 times
Norfolk really needs to do something with Ocean View. At one point and time it was the place to be when I was a kid. Now ??? Its the Ghetto ........Yes I said Ghetto.....

They built 300K to 1 million dollar houses in the middle of crime infested neighborhoods. Yeah the houses are nice but look at the CRAP you have to go through to get to your house and then when you do make it there your surrounded by it all. The beach and Ocean dont look so pretty when you look around and discover your in the middle of the slums.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:42 AM

43 posts, read 113,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefreq View Post
Norfolk really needs to do something with Ocean View.

They built 300K to 1 million dollar houses in the middle of crime infested neighborhoods.
I noticed that this past weekend. I'm moving down to the HR area shortly and have begun my search for an area I like. I wanted to be somewhere along Shore Dr. so I narrowed my search to OV and the Chick's area.

There were some pockets of OV that looked nice but I could easily see how sketchy the area could become when the sun set. No offense to any residents of the OV area as I have no doubt that there are some great sections. On a plus note, I fell in love with the Chicks area.

Oh yeah, and back on topic. I have been staying in the Ghent area while I'm searching and as someone who has lived in the DC area for over 30 years I have to agree with the OP. It is the closest you will find to that DC neighborhood feel. Go with Ghent, it's a great area!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:43 PM

35 posts, read 102,645 times
I lived in Ghent for a year before purchasing a home in Larchmont. I loved living in Ghent and would have tried to purchase a home there if it had been more affordable. The Larchmont area is also very nice, a little quieter and closer to the Naval Base, but I miss being able to walk out of my apartment and simply taking a stroll to shops and restaurants. Now that ODU has built the University Shops, I do have places within an easy walking distance from me, but its not the same feel as Ghent.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 47,712 times
Default Ghent is much nicer and safer than OV

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I like Ghent more than Ocean View. Ghent's right in the middle of everything, and you can get to Ocean View's beach in about 10 mins if you really want to go there. I've yet to figure out Ocean View - it's so hit or miss ("This block is nice, but that one is REALLY sketchy."). With Ghent I at least know what to expect, and it's easier to find which areas to avoid in that section of Norfolk. If you can find a place in Ghent that's within your price range, I say go for it!
I am a long term resident of Norfolk and moved away due to the city is riddled with crime gangs and thugs and drugs. if your going to move to Norfolk go to ghent its one of the better nieghborhoods, but caution there too, its not the best area and crime has moved in to stay. Move to chespaeke its worth the drive,safer, cleaner and better schools and real since of community.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:59 PM

129 posts, read 359,166 times
Ghent over OV any day. I'm from NoVA/DC area as well, and Ghent is the only place i can seem to tolerate to live in the HR area. Everywhere else seems to have a problem with either being too ghetto, or being too much in the sticks.

if your looking for a Ghent apt, check out my ad on craigslist
1 room avail in 3 BR apt (http://norfolk.craigslist.org/roo/1830516605.html - broken link)

Old 07-11-2010, 08:13 PM

13 posts, read 73,663 times
Forget about Ocean View Honey!!! If you have already been here to check out places in Ghent, you should really check out West Ghent. It has more young families than Ghent does. Taylor Elemenary School and the nieghborhood pool are fanstanstic. Larchmont is awesome for people with kids. I totally love Ghent and West ghent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area