Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 02:19 AM

11 posts, read 42,223 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Norfolk area, I'm wondering about living in Suffolk. Can you give me info? We are looking to rent but want good schools and a safe neighborhood. I have a 3rd grader and pre K. How is Suffolk compared to Chesapeake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 AM

179 posts, read 487,214 times
I lived in Suffolk for 10 years and moved to Chesapeake 1 yr ago. One of the driving factors of our move was the schools. Some of the elementary schools in Suffolk are ok but the high schools and middle schools.... not so much.

There are things I like about Suffolk, and things I don't. You are really tucked away and you will have to get used to driving approx. 30 min to go anywhere besides the grocery store. It is a very rural area unless you plan to move to Northern Suffolk, which is almost not really Suffolk. If you like having property and the feeling of being out in the country you will probably like Suffolk.

The area of Chesapeake we moved to the Grassfield High School zone and and we really like it. My kids love their elementary school and it is very family friendly. There is more more to do in the area with your kids. There is more traffic in Chesapeake but for me the trade off is very worth it.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 AM

61 posts, read 154,801 times
My family moved here four years ago, and we live in Chesapeake/Western Branch area. My kids attend Chittum Elementary. This school is K-5, and your kids could go to the same school. We love our school, and I have heard good things about the middle school in our district too. I have friends in Suffolk, and I hear mixed things. Overall, my friends wouldn't move there again, because they aren't pleased with the schools. On the other hand, the schools don't seem unsafe or terrible, especially for younger kids. People like the shopping in Suffolk. My area is 15 minutes from Suffolk.
One reason that my family moved to Western Branch is that we wanted a big lot. We have a .6 acre yard and updated a 1970's colonial, brick home. I like the mature trees and privacy in older neighborhoods. Our home is for sale. There are plenty of homes for sale in all areas of Chesapeake. We live across from Chittum School in Raleigh Place. There are three homes for sale in our neighborhood. There is a walking guard to help the kids across the street in the morning, and this school has lots of parent involvement. I think that you could find this at Western Branch Elementary too, but your children couldn't attend the same school then. GOOD LUCK . Our family enjoyed 4 years in Virginia.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:04 PM

520 posts, read 1,619,706 times
Suffolk has sub-par cable TV/Internet service compared to the rest of the region as well.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:13 PM

6 posts, read 16,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post
Suffolk has sub-par cable TV/Internet service compared to the rest of the region as well.
The internet is good IMO, but yes - the cable, not so much.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:09 AM

61 posts, read 154,801 times
I think that Western Branch , Great Bridge, and Hickory all have good reputations within Chesapeake. I am sure that I am leaving out some areas.

I know someone (like Marney--- posted above) that is trying to sell her home to move to Western Branch , Chesapeake---for the schools.

If schools aren't an issue, there are lots of cheap foreclosures in Suffolk. Be careful of new construction in Hampton Roads though. Chinese drywall problems are real. I heard about a woman in Suffolk that has a house that is a few years old. Her house has 80% drywall that is fine, but the upstairs has Chinese drywall problems. It is costing her $8,000 to remove. If her insurance company finds out about the problem, they will drop total coverage on her home. I have no idea how one knows if there is Chinese drywall in a home. I don't think that there is a test for it------like a radon test.

This problem has been in the papers, but it could be much more pervasive than anyone knows. Lots of people , like this woman, are probably trying to keep anyone from finding out, because they don't want to have insurance canceled. The drywall problems eat wiring and makes fires more likely. I guess that is why insurance companies cancel policies.

Last edited by Emilly-1; 04-21-2010 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 AM

359 posts, read 755,965 times
Interesting read today: Money Magazine ranked Chesapeake and Suffolk among their top places to live.

Chesapeake, Suffolk ranked among top places to live in U.S. | Chesapeake News

Wait, Suffolk? Heh.

I've been through their once, saw main street (and the really nice facility - art gallery or museum?). It really quickly becomes rural. They are famous for peanuts and Chock Full O' Nuts coffee. All good things.

But it was about three small blocks and then EXTREMELY rural. If I were a kid growing up there I'd lose my mind. As an adult living there, I would lose my mind.

Did I just miss the exciting part of Suffolk? There is almost nothing there!

Not that NYC or even good ol' VA Beach are good alternatives, but c'mon, Suffolk?

Old 07-14-2010, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,567 times
Hi,

We've just moved to the Suffolk area. If you are looking to rent I would get in touch with someone who knows the local area well and can point you to the right neighbourhood etc. We used Cross Realty who have been operating in the area since 1953 so know the area really well. It's 757 539 0102 - Lynn seems to run the rentals.

All the best

Tim

Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,280,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
Interesting read today: Money Magazine ranked Chesapeake and Suffolk among their top places to live.

Chesapeake, Suffolk ranked among top places to live in U.S. | Chesapeake News

Wait, Suffolk? Heh.

I've been through their once, saw main street (and the really nice facility - art gallery or museum?). It really quickly becomes rural. They are famous for peanuts and Chock Full O' Nuts coffee. All good things.

But it was about three small blocks and then EXTREMELY rural. If I were a kid growing up there I'd lose my mind. As an adult living there, I would lose my mind.

Did I just miss the exciting part of Suffolk? There is almost nothing there!

Not that NYC or even good ol' VA Beach are good alternatives, but c'mon, Suffolk?
They obviously only visited North Suffolk which really needs to declare independence from the rest of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area