Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 PM

11 posts, read 23,709 times

Advertisements

Hello, so we live in NY now and there is a chance we will be relocating to Virginia Beach because of my husband job. I don't know the Virginia Beach area and would love suggestions on where to look to move. We are looking to live in a nice family oriented area with GREAT school districts as we have 2 little ones. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. Also I have heard that their is a ton of noise in the area b/c of the bases, so also an area where we wouldnt have to deal with it. I hope this isn't to tall of an order.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 PM

90 posts, read 288,197 times
I live near town centre & I don't really hear jet noise, but you definitely don't want to live too close to Oceana. I was down off Laskin Road & First Colonial Road getting something from Target when out of nowhere the jets flew overhead. I dropped to the floor thinking we were being bombed, which my husband died laughing at. I was never around such loud planes before, so it certainly was an eye-opener...or shall I say...ear deafening experience. Lol.

I'm still relatively new to the area, but I definitely prefer VA BCH over Norfolk. The Kempsville area of VA BCH is nice, but stay away from Green Run...I've heard it's not so good over there. Oceanfront is nice, but very expensive. Also, I heard from a coworker that has a house several blocks from the beach that quite a few insurance companies won't even cover houses during hurricane season...so just a food for thought. I currently rent & my renters insurance was much higher than what I paid in Colorado.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:39 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times
Green Run has definitely lost some of it's quiet charm. I've been living in Timberlake since 1977 and definitely find its decline to be very sad. Town centre is definitely the hopping place to be in Virginia Beach these days.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 5,929 times
I live in the 23454 area code off of General Booth Blvd, and have a son that just finished first grade at Three Oaks elementary (he attended kindergarten here too). I highly recommend, the school is only four years old, principle and teachers are wonderful, and high parental involvement. The other elementary school - Strawbridge is also very good. The same can be said for the respective middle and high schools (Kellam/Ocean Lakes HS's). The area has some established as well as new housing developments. I feel prices are still high, but have come down due to the downturn. Yes, there is jet noise and seems to be cyclical (some weeks peace; some noisy). If jet noise is a definite no than look to the north end ($$$$) or western/southwestern part of VAB (Pungo, Kempsville, Bayside (schools are ehhh). Nimmo/Red Mill ares is a nice area. I moved down here in '99 from Philly, and I wouldn't move back (I do visit often!). Good luck!

Old 07-28-2010, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,543 times
Default Female 51 possibly relocating to Virginia Beach (possible job offer)

I am considering relocating to Virginia Beach. I lost my job and it actually is an opportunity to sell my house and move further south (I currently reside in Erie, PA). I'm a female, single, age 51. Both of my children are grown and on their own and would NOT be relocating with me.

What is it like living down there (I've been there on vacation)? Is it easy to make new friends at my age (age 51). The potential job offer salary is less than what I made and I realize that the cost of living is a bit higher in VB, but need to know a decent place (what side of town to live) and also will I meet good people (male and female).

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Bets51; 07-28-2010 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: had typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area