Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,684 times

Advertisements

I will have a job offer that I need to answer yes or no to soon (in about a week) and I would appreciate some feedback from any people living in the Hampton area. I'll be moving from Wichita, KS. I've heard some bad reviews of the Hampton Roads area on this website... I've driven around NN, Norfolk, and VB a little bit already - I'm getting kind of scared b/c I saw mostly big box stores, urban decay, and questionable demographics. I'll drive up around York area and check out more of newport news tomorrow, maybe it will be better. Even though Wichita is in the middle of the midwest, I'm starting to feel like I've been taking some of its characteristics for granted. It has its fair share of big box stores and sprawl/decay, but I was able to find the good spots and it turned out OK for me. They've got a lot of great grocery stores, the roads are fairly cyclist friendly, plenty of yoga classes, good YMCA's, a few good cafes, very little traffic... Things that I would look for around Hampton would be:

A YMCA that's not scary
Coffee shops that aren't starbucks that you can hang out in for hours
Yoga studios
...I'll think of some others later and follow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:40 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,298,236 times
Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore! ....Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:01 AM

275 posts, read 868,986 times
This area has a weird layout, everything is so spread out. I don't think you can make a judgment from the limited amount of time you spent. This area is more or less one big suburb of almost 2 million people. I think Wichita's population alone is equal to Norfolk's alone.

Give it a little more time. There's a lot to like about this area, and I don't think it's as scary as you think here...

Old 07-02-2010, 06:05 AM

36 posts, read 110,661 times
There is a lot about this area that I love. Endless water and beaches, nice parks (Hampton and Newport News especially have great parks), some kind of festival just about every weekend from March through October from Art Shows at the Beach to Historic in events Yorktown/Williamsburg, as well as usually friendly people.

But to comment on what you were wanting. Depending on if you will be on the southside or the peninsula, the YMCA is run by two different YMCA chapters -Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA and YMCA of South Hampton Roads. I have been a member of both - the YMCA in Tabb (York County) is very nice and definitely not "scary". The one drawback for me is there is no outdoor pool, but for working out and the indoor pool it is fine. The YMCAs on the Southside, as far as I know, most if not all have nice outdoor pools - The one we frequent in Western Chesapeake is very popular.

As far as Yoga studios, I am not as familiar, however I know there is one in Port Warwick in Newport News, and I'm sure that isn't the only one.

Well, there is a starbucks on every corner - There is Aromas in City Center (Newport News) and an expresso cafe at the new Peninsula Towne Center in Hampton - If you are looking for something a little smaller scale Hilton Village in Newport News has a coffee shop as well. So there out there, you just have to look past all the Starbucks to find them.

Hope that helps with your decision.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:21 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,613,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeria29 View Post

I've driven around NN, Norfolk, and VB a little bit already - I'm getting kind of scared b/c I saw mostly big box stores, urban decay, and questionable demographics.

Things that I would look for around Hampton would be:

A YMCA that's not scary
Coffee shops that aren't starbucks that you can hang out in for hours
Yoga studios
LOL, sounds like Poquoson would be a nice fit for you. Very little "questionable demographics" over there and you are right down the street from the Yorktown YMCA.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,565,474 times
What are "questionable demographics" anyway?

Old 07-02-2010, 02:20 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,180,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
What are "questionable demographics" anyway?

I think it might be PC for dems "coloured" folk.....

Its crazy how people from the midwest who have never seen anything but white people completely freak when they see anyone who is non white.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:46 AM

359 posts, read 757,501 times
Why must you leap to conclusions and imply she's never seen anyone who's non-white? Your Hampton Roads location makes you her intellectual superior? HAH, what a joke. She may only be referring to people that walk around town with their pants on the ground.

YouTube - Pants On The Ground !!! American Idol Season 9 -Larry Platt (HQ) [Remix]

Pfft. Classists.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:36 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,565,474 times
Yeah I probably won't catch him coming out of my yoga studio as I go to my local coffee shop. LOL

I don't do the YMCA though to expensive. I prefer planet fitness. I can kill myself in the tanning bed and workout for under 20$ a month.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 PM

15 posts, read 94,212 times
Hi I'm moving my family to Hampton VA in may/june of next year. I am a RN and cant seem to get anyone to quote a starting salary without filling out applications first. My Husband and I have a 11 year old son who participates in all sports here, especially football and baseball. I pray there are little leagues here.Can anyone help us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area