Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:19 PM

359 posts, read 758,958 times

Advertisements

News Headlines

Sorry to all those around the Shore Dr. Riviera.

Excerpt follows:

Death of the 'McMansion': Era of Huge Homes Is Over

Published: Thursday, 19 Aug 2010 | 11:42 AM ET

By: Cindy Perman
CNBC.com Writer

They’ve been called McMansions, Starter Castles, Garage Mahals and Faux Chateaus but here’s the latest thing you can call them — History.

In the past few years, there have been an increasing number of references made to the “McMansion glut” and the “McMansion backlash,” as more towns pass ordinances against garishly large homes, which are generally over 3,000 square feet and built very close together.
What sets a McMansion apart from a regular mansion, according to Wikipedia, are a few characteristics: They’re tacky, they lack a definitive style and they have a “displeasingly jumbled appearance.”
Well, count 2010 as the year the last nail was hammered into the McCoffin: In its latest report on home-buying trends, real-estate site Trulia declares: “The McMansion Era Is Over.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 02:00 PM

275 posts, read 870,276 times
I live out in Greenbrier. There's a neighborhood across the street from mine, and a house selling for somewhere in the $600s. That's a reduced price; it was about $750K. In July. Of 2009.

I've kinda wondered why so many new neighborhoods are more McMansionvilles, and less of the average, middle-class neighborhoods from the late-70s/early-80s. Have tastes really changed that much in 30 years?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
The run up in values of property and relaxed lending are what lead up to a lot of the McMansions being built. Now that values of properties have come down a lot and lending has tightened its belt, I think a lot less people will have the ability to afford these houses.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:52 AM

239 posts, read 633,203 times
It's amazing what people were paying for these places back in the day. There is a neighborhood near me called Cahoon Plantation. We went to an open house back in the mid 2000s just for fun and they wanted like $850K for this place. It was a nice house, but had almost no landscaping and was right on top of the road and neighboring homes. Not even enough room to play catch. I ride my bike through there sometimes and it is kind of eerie and depressing, almost like a ghost town. Empty lots, no kids playing, no one out barbuecuing or sitting on there front porch. Prices there have come down a couple of hundred thousand on average, but I would still take a more established neighborhood like Las Gaviotas anyday.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:57 AM

239 posts, read 633,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
The run up in values of property and relaxed lending are what lead up to a lot of the McMansions being built. Now that values of properties have come down a lot and lending has tightened its belt, I think a lot less people will have the ability to afford these houses.
Yep, exactly. The only reason people could afford them in the first place is that their own house went up so much in value. I was playing around on Trulia the other day and they have the ability to tell the sales price history of houses that are currently for sale. One house sold for $512K in 2010, had sold for $650K in 2006, but had sold for $155K in 2000. Basically the people that sold in 2006 made $500K. That much in equity would make a $750K to $1 million McMansion not seem that bad. However, without that the price would seem just plain silly.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:44 AM

359 posts, read 758,958 times
What happened on Shore Dr. is just an abomination. It is the weirdest mix of urban glut I've ever seen. On one side are the Prius drivers and Hummers with soccer ball decals (puke), and on the other side you have well, whatever, just don't go out after dark. Irony is, if it were ever allowed to normalize and go "medium ballpark," without all the safety issues, etc., then it would just go right back to McMansionville. Sky-high prices.

This is why we can't have nice things!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the explanation! :-)

I was actually off in my numbers. It was going for $900K around last summer (okayyyyy, $899,000 ), down from a million from late-08. It's now "only" going for $749.9K.

It still hasn't been inhabited between July 2009 and now. And I imagine for that price, it won't be anytime soon either.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 PM

153 posts, read 408,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
Yep, exactly. The only reason people could afford them in the first place is that their own house went up so much in value. I was playing around on Trulia the other day and they have the ability to tell the sales price history of houses that are currently for sale. One house sold for $512K in 2010, had sold for $650K in 2006, but had sold for $155K in 2000. Basically the people that sold in 2006 made $500K. That much in equity would make a $750K to $1 million McMansion not seem that bad. However, without that the price would seem just plain silly.
You said a mouthfull there. I remember the average house from the early to mid 90's they were going for 155-200K tops. Same home in mid 2000's going for 1/2 a mil. Same house, which was basic in construction w/ no real upgrades and a qtr acre lot. I knew right then and there this was bad news...I'm just surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:09 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSRZ View Post
You said a mouthfull there. I remember the average house from the early to mid 90's they were going for 155-200K tops. Same home in mid 2000's going for 1/2 a mil. Same house, which was basic in construction w/ no real upgrades and a qtr acre lot. I knew right then and there this was bad news...I'm just surprised it lasted as long as it did.
And this is why we are in the predicament we are in right now in regards to the housing crisis.

I never really saw the appeal though for the McMansion. (even if I had the $$$$) I'll take my little beach cottage any day over an overpriced tacky POS.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
It's amazing what people were paying for these places back in the day. There is a neighborhood near me called Cahoon Plantation. We went to an open house back in the mid 2000s just for fun and they wanted like $850K for this place. It was a nice house, but had almost no landscaping and was right on top of the road and neighboring homes. Not even enough room to play catch. I ride my bike through there sometimes and it is kind of eerie and depressing, almost like a ghost town. Empty lots, no kids playing, no one out barbuecuing or sitting on there front porch. Prices there have come down a couple of hundred thousand on average, but I would still take a more established neighborhood like Las Gaviotas anyday.
I noticed that as well. 4000-sq foot homes that are $750K, but the backyard is about the size of something you'd see at a townhouse or condo (exaggerating of course, or am I?), and then no space between the neighboring houses. WTF?

There's other parts of Greenbrier or Kempsville I'd be perfectly content to live in, with just as much space (or not much less), and a huge backyard. Hunningdon Woods in Chesapeake comes to mind. True suburban neighborhoods with a unique mix of houses, not the pre-packaged McMansions that all look alike. Most importantly, more than half the cost, even in this overpriced area!

If anybody needs me, I'll be holding my breath to see prices go back to c. 2002-04 levels. :-P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area