U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,578,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbooe View Post
Does anyone know how feasible it would be to live out in a more rural area and travel in to work, play, etc. How would traffic lend itself to that? What about distances?
I'm sorry, but undoubtedly your family will pick up the same traits you're railing against in LA (holding tightly to their own culture) by isolating them in rural VA here.

I don't quite understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 09:28 AM

14 posts, read 21,201 times
Not 'railing' (rather accusatory don't you think) just expounding on what passes for diversity here in LA. Many on this board speak of a lack of diversity in the HR area. I think perspective is needed. Most all other countries of the world don't belittle themselves for having a mostly 1 culture population. Saying that living in a rural setting is in someways less advantageous because a lack of different cultural influences is exactly what I am talking about. We here have seen it first hand. 'White flight' is a term known well in LA. People don't actually live together, they barely even exist along side of each other. They break up into their own sections and live alone, right beside each other (Korean Town, East LA, Compton, China Town, Little Armenia, West Hollywood for Homosexuals, The beach towns and West LA for Whites). Living in a rural setting and traveling to authentic cultural locations is much better in my opinion than the mess we have here. There is lots of pretending and talking when no one else is looking in the way that Angelenos live. The 'diversity' many see in other places is a false sense of it. One culture dominates while others are meerly sprinkled in and act in a way that pleases the dominate culture. Go to the country of origin and you will find actual cultures.

I am sorry if talking about cultures, race, and ethnicity so openly offends some. Many people in LA speak very openly about race and aren't considered racists. We are faced with its trials and triumphs here on a daily basis. I am just trying to defend the notion of a rural life as one just as 'OK' as one in a multicultural metropolis as long as one travels, has an open mind, and embraces the fact that some cultures do actually clash no matter what. "Holding tight to ones own culture" is exactly what is going on in LA, one of the most 'diverse' cities in the world.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:44 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,578,179 times
Railing wasn't meant as accusatory towards you about anything.

Regardless, I still don't understand your point. There is typically one ethnic/racial group in the rural settings here and that's white. There are some pockets of African Americans living in a rural setting, but it's not as prevalent as Caucasians.

You're moving from a place you say is divided along racial/ethnic lines and you don't like that, yet you're going to be moving to a place where that's still the case, and even in a greater sense than LA because you can't go 15 minutes and be in a totally different part of town.

When you live in a rural setting, travel is going to be much harder to do. Transportation is limited. Additionally, when you travel to a place you typically don't see the area in its entirety, you see tourist areas.

If you're looking to improve you and your families cultural scope, you're moving to the wrong place.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:09 PM

"Railing wasn't meant as accusatory towards you about anything."

Good, sorry, I misunderstood. Keyboards don't have inflection and facial expressions...

"You're moving from a place you say is divided along racial/ethnic lines and you don't like that, yet you're going to be moving to a place where that's still the case, and even in a greater sense than LA because you can't go 15 minutes and be in a totally different part of town."

Until you have lived in a place like LA you just won't understand this... I can't wait. I have many friends of many different nationalities but none of them coexist well. Diversity on a large scale unfortunately only works on paper. Most of these cultures clash and don't want to get along. It's a disaster here. Not until you see them adopt a common culture will they coexist. But again, it is not something you can explain, you just have to experience it. The only way to truly experience any culture is to go to its original land, without question. We do just that every year.

I am looking forward to not being the minority in a sea of anger. It is an experience everyone should have, but I'm done. If you are interested, 'Tag' you're it!

I have found that traveling to Mexico, Germany etc. and learning their language took me light years ahead in understanding their cultures. I will take celebrating my own culture in the South and traveling to other countries any day over this mess created in LA. You can disagree all you want. I have lived in the middle of it and it is only getting worse.

I believe on some levels you are right though. Many don't travel 20 minutes from their home and the McCulture they can get from others living around them is all they will ever see. Yet I question this as a true cultural experience whether in LA or in the South.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:38 PM

So, again, anybody know what areas may be good to live in a little out of the traffic and such but still be able to get back into the mix of everything?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:55 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,119,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivey View Post
Before taxes and insurance that loan is more like $1450, plus w/ the tax rates in Hampton Roads one would expect more of a $1600 payment. If anyone has lived in this area for any amount of time the type of house that buys you isn't worth it.

We area still deflating from the bubble. Prices are still coming down. If you can, wait.
I beg to differ, I just got approved for a loan at the price I stated which included property taxes, mortgage insurance (I dont want to put 20% down with these low rates and future prospects of inflation), and hazard insurance. 30 year fixed, 4.25%, no points.

I am probably not gonna buy yet, but I want to be ready if the right place in the right area presents itself at the right price. I have lived here off an on since 1991, if you consider a solidly constructed brick ranch on a quarter acre lot for 225k "not worth it" then that is your opinion but I consider it a pretty decent buy. Obviously it is not as good as the 140k it probably cost in 2001, but it is still attainable and a lot better than most major cities. Also, FYI, Hampton roads does not have a tax rate, each city/county has a tax rate and those rates vary a great deal across the region. Places like York County for instance have a rate that is almost half of that in Newport News...

You are right though, prices are still declining and there is no rush to buy. However, given the inventory available I think that you can take your time, find the place you want, and make some lowball offers.

Last edited by UHgrad; 09-11-2010 at 10:15 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
The family environment sounds great. Family attractions and atmosphere will be a great change from here. We are originally from the South and are looking forward to getting back to that kind of lifestyle.

The lack of diversity is a problem. Although diversity is great, LA has taught me a thing or two about it. When there is a predominance of one ethnic group that holds tightly to their own culture, they tend to refuse to learn the language and culture of the host country. Germany has that same problem with many Turkish immigrants. LA has huge populations of many, many cultures that want nothing to do with a blended style American culture, which leads to many groups butting heads. It wasn't until we moved here from the south that we realized how unique and different even a Southern US culture actually is. Wish there could be an even distribution of many cultures everywhere, but in the absence of that, I want my family to be raised in the South and we will frequently visit other countries and absorb their native culture in its natural environment. LA has in many instances a worst case scenario.
I think it is a great family environment. I went to middle-high school and undergrad in the area. Moved away for most of my 20's and have now moved back to start a family. Where I was before (Honolulu) it is probably somewhat similar to L.A. Extremely expensive housing, poor public schools outside of "rich areas" (meaning most want to send their kids to private school $$$$), horrible traffic, but very diverse, nice weather, and fairly exciting. It is a little more lowkey around here, not quite as diverse, and we actually have seasons... but I will be able to send my kids to public schools, afford a home, go to great beaches and parks, and have enough entertainment to keep me happy.

Virginia Beach is no NYC, Honolulu, or San Diego but it is not bad for diversity in my opinion. It is mostly "white" (66%) with fairly large Black (19%), Asian (6% mostly Filipino), and Hispanic (6% mostly Mexican) populations (according to citydata)

In addition, over 3% of the population reports being "mixed race"... and judging from what I saw at Mount Trashmore park today that number will be increasing rapidly. My wife and I, most of my friends, and about half the couples I saw at the park were interracial and it wasnt just the typical black guy/white woman or white guy/asian woman couples... it went all ways. Folks get along pretty well, there is the occasional black/white tension but overall everyone minds their own business and smiles when they walk past you.

The good and bad of the area is that it really doesn't have a strong identity. Because of the military presence and transient nature of folks around here they don't really seem to care where you are from or what you "are" for the most part. There are still some cultural things like the Itallian Festival, Greek Festival, African American Festival, Filipino Festival etc... but there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of that stuff where people only interract with whatever group they identify with.

Last edited by UHgrad; 09-11-2010 at 09:42 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know how feasible it would be to live out in a more rural area and travel in to work, play, etc. How would traffic lend itself to that? What about distances?
Pretty easy to do around here, Suffolk and Parts of Chesapeake are still pretty rural and you don't have to travel through a tunnel to get to VB or Norfolk from there. Of course it would depend on where you are working and where you want to go (beach, downton Norfolk etc...) but 30 min commute is very attainable for this. Gotta watch where you are going at the wrong time, certain places can back up during rush hour, but listening to a local traffic report for a few days will let you know where those are.

There are also nice suburbs that are pretty close to stuff but not out in the boonies. Great Bridge for instance (in Chesapeake) has a bypass that gets you to 64/464 in a short amount of time. I wouldn't call it rural, but it is also very safe with great schools. A little on the pricey side but with your $300k budget I think you could find something pretty nice for sure.

Last edited by UHgrad; 09-11-2010 at 09:46 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 AM

Excellent info UHgrad. You have helped a ton. I will start looking into the areas you mentioned in case that is the route we choose. Thanks a million.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Excellent info UHgrad. You have helped a ton. I will start looking into the areas you mentioned in case that is the route we choose. Thanks a million.
No problem, for some reason it is hard to get a balanced opinion around here based on actual facts and get people to actually answer the question you are asking. I don't claim the area is perfect but it is great for families with lots of outdoor activities and you can find a decent place in a pretty good area for under 250K easily despite what folks will tell you. It wont be 3000 sq ft, new construction mcmansion right by the beach, with granite counter tops (unless it has been recently renovated). But a 1800sq ft 3br 2ba ranch with a decent yard is easily found in that range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area