U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM

20 posts, read 42,335 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
Im heading down to virginia again and am interested in looking at checking out some new areas. Virginia beach was ok but im open to other areas. Heres what im looking for.

I like where I live now, but I cant afford to live here and raise a family comfortably. Im 24, I dont have kids, im not married but if things keep going smoothly I may be in the next year or two.
I currently live on Long Island, new york. Its over crowed, way too expensive, and if your not a business owner, teacher, or cop its very hard to get by. I myself am an automechanic. I have several certifications from boces so I should be able to get a job without too much trouble. Im more concerned with the night life. I love going out to dinner in nice resturants, bars, movies, trendy clothes stores all with in a couple miles from eachother. Living near the water would be great as well. But it must be affordable with sayyyy 60k a year household income. Good schools are a must too. If I do buy a house, im going to look for one that I can rent an appartment out of so that will help alot. I know I may be asking alot, but Id love to find somewhere like I live now, just affordable and not as over populated as long island.

Thanks for all your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,147,286 times
If you're looking for bars, good restaurants, fancy clothing stores, and movies in one area - all of which you enjoy... then be prepared for a bit of a shock. Everything in Hampton Roads, for the most part, is spread out. Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Hampton have a downtown/town center area with a few of these "necessities", but their selection is pretty... crappy. Then again, it also depends upon your meaning and likes in these things.

For the life of me, I can't think of a single "fancy" clothing store sans the department stores in the malls - which I honestly can't call "fancy".

Old 09-01-2010, 03:17 PM

20 posts, read 42,335 times
mmmm i see, downtown viginia beach seemed like my style. Where I usualy stayed was by mt trashmore, it definitly had alot of grimmy parts. The jet noise, and the way the roads are set up would definitly take time to get used too.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 PM

53 posts, read 149,098 times
1. newport news is cheap compare to norfolk and virginia beach .
2. close to , williamsburg shopping outlets , williamsburg busch garden
3.NN downtown city center got vibrant collection of shops, restaurants, entertainment, homes, hotels, and office
4 Northrup Grumman is bringing 500 jobs to Newport News in a brand new multimillion dollar nucleur facility.. Canon just expanded their NN facility and hired 1000 .
5 . close to peninsula town center hampton .has a mix of department and specialty retailers , bars and restaurants, as well as commercial office and residential space above stores on some buildings.Town Center maintains an active calendar of events in Town Square Park.
6 .you can fish on salt or fresh water ,camping and biking 5 minutes drive

7 . movie theaters . Amc , Cinema cafe , cinebistro . all 10 minutes drive

8 cozzy comedy club Cozzy's Comedy Club (http://www.cozzys.com/dinnershow.html - broken link)

9 [SIZE=4]Newport News Williamsburg International Airport[/SIZE]

10 newport news near everything

Y love NN

Old 09-01-2010, 04:29 PM

53 posts, read 149,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
If you're looking for bars, good restaurants, fancy clothing stores, and movies in one area - all of which you enjoy... then be prepared for a bit of a shock. Everything in Hampton Roads, for the most part, is spread out. Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Hampton have a downtown/town center area with a few of these "necessities", but their selection is pretty... crappy. Then again, it also depends upon your meaning and likes in these things.

For the life of me, I can't think of a single "fancy" clothing store sans the department stores in the malls - which I honestly can't call "fancy".
men stop laying you can find almost anything on HR

Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 PM

18 posts, read 44,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post

You don't call Nordstrom fancy? $150 button-downs have always seemed on the fancy side to me.

To the OP, I would look at Freemason. I just moved here, and I love it. I make around $60K a year, and found a great apartment for $1100. You can literally walk to everything--work (if you're downtown), food, bars, the gym, etc. It's also very historic, so there's a lot of charm and nice old houses/townhouses.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,147,286 times
Quote:
men stop laying you can find almost anything on HR
First, I'm not a "men", and secondly, I'm not lying at all. I never said he couldn't find all of his requirements - just merely pointing out that they won't be within a couple of miles of each other.

The best stuff in Hampton Roads is usually spread out. Even the stuff you posted in your list is not within a couple of miles of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk2543 View Post
You don't call Nordstrom fancy? $150 button-downs have always seemed on the fancy side to me.
At first I was like "Where is there a Nordstrom in this area....?", then I said "That's right! There is one in the MacArthur Mall." So I take back what I said about no fancy stores. Nordstrom is a little more on the fancier end. Thanks for the correction.

Though, I infrequently go to MacArthur. I've been there three times since they enacted that weird curfew of teenagers, and each time I've been ID'd by several of the mall cops. It's a little annoying. ((I'm 23))

To the OP, I live right by the Virginia Beach Town Center and I personally like it. However, like I said previously, the best stuff this area has to offer is usually spread out.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,737 times
The cost of home ownership is very high here - you may want to look at some realtor sites before moving here to get the sense of it if owning a home is important to you. It takes 2 good incomes to buy a decent place here from what I can tell. I don't think I'd call Hampton Roads "afforable."

There isn't much of an urban feel like what you are describing except in Norfolk and maybe Newport News, if you want that kind of city vibe. It's a big surburban like sprawl here for the most part.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:12 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,578,179 times
Not to undercut the euphoria of there being a Nordstrom in the area, but the Nordstrom here is considered a "B list" store. Very small and not as high end of a selection as normal Nordstrom stores.

I will say it's a good thing the city gave them such a sweetheart deal or else they wouldn't be here, either.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:57 PM

4 posts, read 6,301 times
Wow, not to get in on someone else's thread but this is depressing. My wife and I are also thinking about moving to the Hampton Roads area but with all the terrible posts, you wonder why anyone lives there. We vacation there at least twice a year and thought that the area was a good place for a new start. Is is really that bad?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area