U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 08:46 PM

17 posts, read 34,160 times

Advertisements

I lived in Norfolk many years ago (45+ years ago) and am planning to return to be closer to aging family members. I visited this past month and was shocked at how the Wards Corner area has degraded into a slum. I wanted to find out if this is spreading down Little Creek Road to some of the nicer middle-class areas I remember, such as Roosevelt Gardens? It seems like the area has only older retirees left, but this is just based on a quick drive through.

I checked the crime reports, and the 23518 zip code area still seems stable. I would like to solicit the thoughts of anyone familiar with the area as it is today. It looks like much of the shopping is gone and has been replaced by check cashing stores and pawn shops. Are there any good grocery stores left in the area (not counting the Commissary at Little Creek Navy base)?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 06:18 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,006,071 times
I've never lived in Roosevelt Gardens myself, but I have driven through the area countless times. Also, a friend of mine lives on Mona Ave, but I'm not sure if that's actually Roosevelt Gardens or not. His neighborhood seems nice enough. I've been there both in the day and at night, and never saw anything unusual or even remotely sketchy. The other neighborhoods in the area seem to be about average for Norfolk. Camellia Shores is nice. I'd say the rest are middle and working class. I've never really known that stretch of E. Little Creek to be abnormally dangerous, but I know it's not immune to crime as well. And you're right, farther down Little Creek towards Wards Corner has gotten rough.

As far as the shopping goes, there is a Food Lion grocery store in the Little Creek East shopping center where I'm sure the majority of people in the area get groceries. I've been in there before. It's like every other Food Lion on Earth - not the nicest grocery store, but good enough. There's also a Walmart Neighborhood Market nearby too, but I don't know if it's good or not. A regular Walmart is just up Little Creek Rd. a ways, near the corner of Tidewater and Little Creek.

Overall, I'd say it's a decent area of the city. You've got two of my favorite restaurants in the world nearby (Azalea Inn, and Surf Rider in Ocean View), as well as a Post Office, two grocery stores, plenty of banks, and pharmacies. You have a lot of schools too, which usually means family-oriented neighborhoods. Larrymore Elementary, Little Creek Elementary, Azalea Gardens Middle School, and St. Pius X Elementary. You're close to Botanical Gardens and the airport, as well as the low-key beaches of Ocean View. And, like you mentioned, you have Little Creek Amphib. Base right there, so if you can access that you have even more resources nearby. It's definitely not the worst area of the city for crime, and probably not the best either, but I've never personally felt unsafe in the area.

Hope this helps you some!

Old 09-11-2010, 07:59 PM

14 posts, read 21,194 times
xGrendelx - Thanks for the rundown of the area. Helps us get a feel for what to expect in that area nicely. I love these types of posts. It helps me know where to do more research.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 PM

Thank you xGrendelx, this is really useful information.

I looked at a home in the Wedgewood section and fell in love with it. I didn't make an offer, though, because my drive down Little Creek Road made me think the area might have declined over the years. I suspect it may be a little sketchy, but still appears to be a solid working class neighborhood. Your post confirms this line of thinking.

I currently live in San Francisco and probably experienced a little bit of culture shock that may have made the area appear worse than it actually is. I tried to check out the crime reports, and it mostly looks like car break-ins (no violent crime) in the area, which is no worse than what I am use to in SF.

Thank you again for your comments!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyinSFCA View Post
Thank you xGrendelx, this is really useful information.

I looked at a home in the Wedgewood section and fell in love with it. I didn't make an offer, though, because my drive down Little Creek Road made me think the area might have declined over the years. I suspect it may be a little sketchy, but still appears to be a solid working class neighborhood. Your post confirms this line of thinking.

I currently live in San Francisco and probably experienced a little bit of culture shock that may have made the area appear worse than it actually is. I tried to check out the crime reports, and it mostly looks like car break-ins (no violent crime) in the area, which is no worse than what I am use to in SF.

Thank you again for your comments!
No problem! Car break-ins are a big thing in most areas of Norfolk. You should look into CrimeMapping.com and set up an email alert. You can check which crimes you want to be notified about and in what area(s). It's not a bad tool to utilize, for sure.

And that's funny you're moving from SF. I just left Hampton Roads for San Francisco in January.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
And that's funny you're moving from SF. I just left Hampton Roads for San Francisco in January.
Hope you enjoying SF. It is probably the polar opposite of HR! I like both areas for different reasons. SF is nice once you get past the sticker shock of housing prices. I own a small company and plan to keep an office in SF, so I will get the best of both for awhile (and the worst as well, not counting the air travel).

Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyinSFCA View Post
Hope you enjoying SF. It is probably the polar opposite of HR! I like both areas for different reasons. SF is nice once you get past the sticker shock of housing prices. I own a small company and plan to keep an office in SF, so I will get the best of both for awhile (and the worst as well, not counting the air travel).
I am enjoying SF. It's definitely a different culture here, but I'm adapting. I do have days when I miss the crap out of Norfolk though. Anyway, hope all goes well for you in HR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area