Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2007, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 11,001 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are relocating to VA July 2008 from NYC to give our 3 children a better life as well as ourselves. We were thinking of renting first in order to get a better knowledge of the area before purchasing a home. We have made 2trips already to the southeastern part of VA and liked York and Newpoert News by the Patrick henry mall (kiln creek). But we need some better insight from residents or former residents. Perhaps other places are better like VA Beach. Safety is obviously a high priority. We plan on our children going to private school. We have heard that there are only some good pockets in newport news. Anybody have info on these apt/townhouses we liked? (Turnberry Wells, EagleHarbor Apts, The Harbours, Waterman's Crossing). Please shed some light. ANything is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 11:36 AM

98 posts, read 784,306 times
Where will your work be? That will have an impact on what the forum members will suggest as far as places to live.
We currently live in Chesapeake but are about to rent a house in Virginia beach- so I can't help you with York or Newport News. So far, I really like Chesapeake and VB.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:51 AM

My husband works at the United States Postal Service so can pretty much work at any station, and I am a nurse and plan on working with an agency. So the best place to live is the priority because we can arrange work around that. Thanks for the tip Where in Chesapeake and VA Bch are best?

Old 06-29-2007, 12:10 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
A couple of the good spots in Newport News are Menchville, Port Warwick, and kiln Creek. These are good spots and the houses are a little cheaper than York County. Since you are planning on private school, for more housing value NN is better, but has pretty high taxes. York County is more costly mainly b/c of the quality of the public schools and low taxes (you're paying those taxes on more expensive homes), but is a great area to live.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:34 PM

142 posts, read 567,559 times
Hampton Roads Academy is a well-known private school in a nice area of Newport News that serves the entire Peninsula. Adding to Alanboy, I do recommend the Menchville district in general- my parents and older brothers (before I was born) lived there from the early '80s to early '90s and they/we liked it very much. There are a lot of other families that live there also. Eagle Harbor is across the river (you have to go through a crummy area of Newport News to get in and out of there) in a newly developed area of Isle of Wight County. I would highly recommend York County for quality of life and convenience to Newport News.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:24 AM

We really appreciate all the information you have given us. Any good townhome rental community that anyone could reccommend? How about the areas to stay away from?

Old 06-30-2007, 06:04 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limon View Post
We really appreciate all the information you have given us. Any good townhome rental community that anyone could reccommend? How about the areas to stay away from?
2 communities i do recommend are Yorkshire Downs (private owners) and Gables (same thing) in York Co. a lot of kids there. A couple of areas to stay away from are the east end and denbigh areas of NN. All but a couple of the city's homicides have happened there this year.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:24 PM

275 posts, read 870,420 times
I live in Chesapeake, Greenbrier section, right near the mall. Greenbrier's a really nice area, pretty quiet for the most part, but rapidly growing.

One good thing about Greenbrier is that you're pretty close to a lot of stuff. I'm about 20 minutes from the major areas (downtown Norfolk, VB Oceanfront), and right near the Interstate. However, my neighborhood is right on the Chesapeake/VB border.

Western Branch, Great Bridge, Deep Creek, and Hickory are also nice areas, with Hickory being the most rural. It's close to the North Carolina borderline, and is quickly becoming another Greenbrier, i.e. rural farm land turned suburbs. Western Branch is closest to Suffolk and Newport News. From WB, you can make it to Newport News in about 15-20 minutes, and it's also close to downtown Norfolk (10-15 mins. if you take the Western Freeway). Probably about half an hour from the Oceanfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area