U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 27,400 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job at Dam Neck Base and we are looking for a rental that would keep his commute to 20-30 minutes, but I've heard that the jet noise can be real bad near this particular base. Can you recommend any nice apartment complexes that are close enough, but not too close? It doesn't have to be a complex, I'd be fine with renting a house or townhome, but don't know what area is going to be too noisy! Is it really that bad - someone said you just get used to pausing your conversations when a jet flies over. Did she mean if you are outside, or is it going to be that loud in my living room??
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 03:30 PM

No one?! How about some details on the jet noise? Is it so loud that it's going to rattle my windows and muffle the TV? Or are we talking about muffling conversation when you are hanging out outside?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 PM

3,843 posts, read 3,668,707 times
It can be that loud inside your house. Sometimes you'll wonder if the plane is about to land on your house.

If you're looking at a 20-30 minute commute then there are plenty of places in Virginia Beach outside of the flight path and well away from the jet noise. How much are you looking to spend on rent?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:54 AM

We're hoping to stay around 1200-1300 for a 3 bed for an apartment or rental house.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill326 View Post
We're hoping to stay around 1200-1300 for a 3 bed for an apartment or rental house.
There are some very nice apartments in that range around the South Independence/Holland Road area. Brenneman Farms, I think is the name, at South Independence and South Plaza Trail. Close to Food Lion, Farm Fresh, I264, Town Center, Lynhaven and Pembroke Malls. Very new, too, only opened in the past 3-4 years.

Pick up a copy of the apartment guide at any 7-11 or Wawa. You can get info on apartments in any of the local cities. Look in the Virginian Pilot for house rental info.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:22 PM

Thanks, I'll check that out! I have the apartment guide, but I see places in there that look great and then I check apartmentratings.com and people give them terrible reviews... I'll pick up a Virgnian Pilot too.

BTW - Are you really in Barrow, Alaska? I just got back from Alaska, my husband and I went there on our honeymoon. We wanted to go to Barrow, but we didn't have the frequent flier miles to get there.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill326 View Post
Thanks, I'll check that out! I have the apartment guide, but I see places in there that look great and then I check apartmentratings.com and people give them terrible reviews... I'll pick up a Virgnian Pilot too.

BTW - Are you really in Barrow, Alaska? I just got back from Alaska, my husband and I went there on our honeymoon. We wanted to go to Barrow, but we didn't have the frequent flier miles to get there.
Yep. I moved from Virginia Beach to Barrow on 8/6 to work at the hospital ER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area