U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 37,497 times

Advertisements

In a nutshell:

My husband is active duty air force and our top two choices of where to move on this next assignment are Virginia Beach and Vernon, CT (right outside of Hartford). He is originally from CT so he knows about that area but we don't know much about Virginia Beach. I'm originally from Florida so I LOVE the beach. However, we do have a 9 month old baby who will be 18 months by the time we move and now my priorities have changed. School district is not important to us because we will only be there for 3 years. But we do want a very family friendly area. We love doing outdoor activities and would love to live in a city that is always offering things for us to do as a family and as a community. We love sports and play recreationally on adult teams. I'm also a young professional and am concerned about the job outlook. My husbannd doesn't mind commuting up to 30 minutes so living outside of VB would be an option for us if there is a place that would be better suited. Can anyone give me any advice??

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 23,862 times
Hello!

I do not know much about CT, but loads about Hampton Roads!

We live in Chesapeake with our 4 young kids. We love it here. Great schools, terrific rec centers and YMCA options, sports leagues and just all around great for the family. So many options for living arrangements as well. Also, we do not have to deal with the 264 freeway, which can be a mess!

As a Realtor working mostly with military I show a lot of property in both VB and Chesapeake. VB has its benefits as well. It also has wonderful family activities, and housing options. They do tend to be a little spendier than the same in Chesapeake, but you can always find decent deals, especially in this market.

Have you been to the "great schools" website? It has a lot of info on all the schools in the area, both public and private.

BTW - my husband is in the Navy and commutes to NOB Norfolk each day in about 25-30 min. We live in the Great Bridge section of Chesapeake and love it. The commute for him is not bad at all.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me!

schwindhomes@aol.com

Happy to help!

~Elizabeth

Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,194,804 times
Be sure to read the numerous posts/threads on here to see how unhappy so many people are before you decide.
I haven't met a transplant yet who likes it and most people from the midwest/west are dreaming of getting out.
Don't get me wrong, lots of locals like it and many from the east coast like it here.
My DH and I came from USAFA in Colorado Springs and he hates it. He has visited/been/has a fairly good understanding of the following AFB: Shriever AFB, NORAD, Peterson, Lackland AFB, Buckley AFB,
MacDill AFB, Seymour-Johnson AFB, Vance AFB, Minot AFB, and Hickam AFB. He doesn't mind Langley here, but he can't stand Hampton Roads. He has discovered that even though he is from FL originally, he just doesn't gel with the southern way of things, much less VA.
For example- when the story hit about the woman who collected a paycheck for 12 yrs without showing up for work- his comment was "doesn't surprise me here".
Me either, nothing surprises me here.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:45 AM

46 posts, read 87,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Be sure to read the numerous posts/threads on here to see how unhappy so many people are before you decide.
Actually, what you need to do is not count the 'numerous' threads but count the number of people telling you how unhappy they are. There are a few posters on this board that take every opportunity to say how unhappy they are in multiple threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I haven't met a transplant yet who likes it and most people from the midwest/west are dreaming of getting out.
I just moved here from the midwest and I like it so far. Yeah, it has taken some adjustment and there are things we don't care for (e.g., the worst drivers in the world!) but overall, we like it here.

For anyone thinking about the area, this forum is a good starting point but don't let a vocal and unhappy minority influence your decisions. Do some more research and then make a decision and make the best of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or