U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:08 AM

926 posts, read 1,002,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Expatriate View Post
Thanks for all of the advice. Traffic like that from a speedway is not a problem. Noise from neighbors is a big deal. I've lived in a house for the last 5 years. It will be difficult to get used to footsteps on the ceiling and bass from the floor again.
I meant that the cars are really loud when they are racing.

Quote:
--Is there much of a latino community in Hampton Roads? As I mentioned, my fiancee is from Nicaragua, and I lived four years in Honduras. It'd be nice if we could find a salsa dance club or a place that serves real Mexican food.
As far as I have expereinced there is a moderately sized Latino community in HR. It is mostly Mexican with a fari amount of Puerto Ricans and other scattered groups here and there. There are definitely places to salsa dance and I personally know two mexican families that own restaurants so I would assume their food is pretty authentic. You just missed the latino music festival in norfolk, that would probably have been a good "in" to meet other latino's in the community.

9th Annual AT&T Norfolk Latino Music Festival - Festevents

Quote:
--How fast is the Internet? I lived with 512 kbps for years. Right now I'm on a 2 mbps connection, and it feels blazingly fast. I hear that 5 mbps is considered slow in the US? I'm so out of touch with US Internet abilities that I hadn't streamed Netflix until last month. It will be a shock if I get 15 or 35 mbps like that advertised by Verizon.
There are two major choices, Cox and Verizon. You can definitely get over 10mbps with their high speed packages. I stream netflix and play halo/call of duty online with no issues. Some apartment complexes offer their "own" internet service, it is called belo or something. I think falcon creek is one of these. I have heard it is very slow.

Quote:
--How easy is it to get to Norfolk and Virginia Beach?
From Lanley AFB, under perfect conditions, you are looking at about 30 minutes to dontwown Norfolk, 35 minutes to Virginia Beach town center, and about 45 minutes to the VB oceanfront. The challenge is that you have to go through a tunnel to get to the southside (the other side of the tunnels is referred to as the "southside" locally, hampton, newport news, etc... is referred to as the "penninsula".) The tunnels, particularly the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, tends to back up because people feel the need to hit their brakes inside and back everyone up behind them. The traffic can be bad enough that you don't want to go over these tunnels during rush hour. The monitor merrimac tunnel is a longer drive to VB and downtown norfolk, but is sometimes faster because it tends to back up less.

Quote:
--Hampton Roads clearly isn't pedestrian friendly, but is it bike friendly? Are there bike lanes?
As an overal rule I would agree with this. Although there are some areas that are. Virginia Beach is definitely the most bike friendly city in the region, there is an extensive network of bike trails/lanes that take you all over the city. You can do google searches to find bike paths but overall the region is pretty spread out so unless you are near a city center/ town center... you will need to drive places.

Quote:
--Are there good beaches? By good, I mean warm water, little trash and calm waves?
Since we are not in the tropics the warm water is seasonal Chicks beach sounds like a good fit for what you are looking for... the water is warm enough to swim from June-November most years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 11:21 AM

35 posts, read 54,185 times
Another good neighborhood to try in Hampton is Old Wythe. My boyfriend lives in that neighborhood and it is quiet there, with nice diversity and is close enough to the major highways (without being so close you get the noise) that he can be in Norfolk in less than 20 min.

It's pretty easy to get to Norfolk/Va Bch from Hampton. You have the option of two bridges/tunnels, so if one is backed up, you can go the other route.

There aren't a lot of bike lanes in Hampton Roads. There are bike routes, however, but you still have to watch for traffic in most areas.

Virginia Beach is a nice beach, especially when you head up towards the higher numbered streets (more families, less crowds). I'm not as familiar with the beaches in Hampton.

I haven't had any trouble with the internet being slow for me. I use Cox cable internet and have friends that use Verizon Fios and have been happy with that as well.

I'm sorry that I can't answer the question about how much of a latino community there is here. I have several friends that are latino, but I don't know if there is a salsa dance club here. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun, but then I'd have to convince my boyfriend to take me dancing, which I haven't been able to do yet!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,008 times
salsa dance clubs here. Seven Cities Salsa - Latin Music & Dancing Events & Lessons in Hampton Roads, VA - Seven Cities Salsa

Papa Grande - Latin Cuisine

Welcome to Tropicana Restaurant and Lounge. We play the best Salsa, Merengue, Cumbia, Bachata, Reggaeton, and Latin House music. Call us at 757-460-4747.Enjoy the hottest Latin Nightclub in Virginia Beach.

http://www.virginia.org/site/descrip...p?attrid=40913
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area