Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 AM

4 posts, read 13,331 times

Advertisements

My husband is transfering to Norfolk but we both grew up in NC... Does anyone know of houses or apartments for rent between Elizabeth City and the state line? There doesn't seem to be a lot in that area but we are trying to cut down the drive time he will have to work. Any ideas? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 02:58 PM

11 posts, read 28,653 times
A lot of people do make the commute. Will he be in Norfolk , as in the city? Or at the Naval Station Norfolk?. Have you considered the Chesapeake area in VA? It borders NC but you do not have to do the 168 toll road.

Feel free to ask my any questions you might have. I am a Realtor. I do not handle rentals, but have a number of wonderful contacts who do, both in NC and VA. Happy to help.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:55 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
I work with several folks who commute. Some live in Suffolk, some just over the carolina line in Gates. Some live off of 24, a little farther away. Doesn't seem to bother them, even the toll road, they have an "easy pass" on their windshield.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:34 AM

4 posts, read 13,331 times
He will be working at the Naval Station. We are really pretty set on living in North Caroliona but we are looking for something fairly cheap because we are trying to put everything we have into savings at the moment. Finding anything in Moyock or South Mills that isn't going to cost us $1500 a month or isn't a trailer has been almost impossible. We are used to toll roads, we have them here in Italy, so that isn't so much of an issue. We have lightly considered buying but I also know that could take some time and at least for now we are in a bit of a hurry. He will not be in the states until 10/16 and he has to start work by 10/25. Everything I'm finding around $1000 a month is in Elizabeth City and while we are willing to work with that we would rather find something a little closer. Any ideas or contacts you have would be helpful! Thank you!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:52 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Moyock NC Apartments for Rent, Search by Map for Apartment Rentals in Moyock, North Carolina

Old 10-12-2010, 06:01 PM

94 posts, read 388,891 times
Camden County down 17 is going to be cheaper than Moyock and closer than Elizabeth City. But either way you are probably looking at an hour to an hour and a half one way to get to Naval station norfolk...

Old 10-13-2010, 11:28 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Allot of people used to do just what you are thinking of doing. It was done because of the cost savings that came with it. Not so much anymore and many people that were living in NC and working in HR have moved back. With the cost of gas and the time involved for travel many people found out they were spending more then what it would cost them to live closer to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area