Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:46 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,952 times

Advertisements

701Rachel's "bitter billy" comment was hilarious. Can't wait to use that, haha.

Anyway, as far as HR being nice/not nice, I tend to agree with VA7cities. HR is a huge area, geographically. It's basically ALL of Southeast Virginia. This means that it has a very diverse make-up of space, some of them are generally accepted by the population as nice or not nice, but most fall somewhere in between the two extremes. It's up to the person moving there to decide if it fits for them. However, I'm sure that most people can find something they enjoy. There's urban, suburban, and rural areas in HR. Some of them are gritty, and some are quite manicured.

HR may not be the most ethnically diverse area, but I will say it is economically diverse. Having spent a year in a place that has two classes (rich or poor), I miss that about HR. It's a place where all income levels mix. If you're working class, there's places for you. Same goes for the extremely wealthy. And there's cultural/social activities available for both.

Also, to 701Rachel, please don't think the CD forums are in anyway an accurate representation of the people living in HR and their feelings toward the area. I grew up there and know MANY people who love it. If you find yourself developing opinions based on what people say here, I'd recommend leaving this forum for awhile. You can take advice, but realize this is an incredibly informal source of info and most of the people here are nothing close to experts. And the people with negative views tend to be louder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 03:42 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,426 times
I took no offense. My circle of friends are mostly teacher friends of mine so we aren't lavish at all. I know several people who have grown up here and have always lived on the east coast who really like it here. Coming from the midwest, it has been a culture shock because you don't expect it. But so many who are used to it like to laugh at me when I tell them what a student told me regarding racial issues and something political that totally leaves me dumbfounded. I am so used to mankind supporting mankind and a handshake and someone's word meaning something.

So ya, no offense. Everyone has bad days and I have discovered that several can quickly snap at you here. I know I didn't do anything personally, so I just make sure that I smile and say a little prayer that God helps support you through this difficult adventure of yours and hope not to have anything horrible happen to me because of your (in general your, not yours specific) bad mood. God always provides us opportunities to grow and just doesn't grand us patience, discipline, grace, etc.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:45 PM

148 posts, read 370,723 times
Not sure if anyone took offense as much as it is that they're kind of tired of you being a downer all the time. Maybe you aren't but you really come across as someone who is sometimes. People aren't anymore stuck up here or whatever than anywhere else and I've been on both coasts.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,426 times
Thanks Upsilon, nicely put.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 PM

77 posts, read 165,302 times
Ok start with 7 cities hampton/newport news 50% are pretty rough. Norfolk and portsmouth about 70 % is rough. Chesapeake and suffolk about 25 % is rough and va beach is about 5 % rough. Than yorktown williamsburg smithfield surry ivor and windsor are all a little rougher than va beach but way less rough than any of the other 7 cities. There are very nice neighborhoods in each city though.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,379 times
What are you talkng about? What is "rough" and how do you calculate the percentages of "rough"? Seriously, this is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read on these threads.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:54 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701RachelT123 View Post
We recently visited the Hampton Roads area, we stayed in Norfolk at the Best Western Holiday Sands Inn & Suite, and it all appeared to be run down, old, and unkempt. I am not implying that if a home is old it equals trashy. Did we just go to the wrong places? We did the whole tourist thing in Va beach and went up to Williamsburg. So we were primarily on the interstates. We could potentially be moving to the area next August so I am hoping that we just coincidently hit all the run down areas of the towns.
Of course it is run down. I don't' necessarily see that as a bad thing but it is a blue collar working class area. Not to say that there aren't any working professionals here but this isn't Northern Virginia. Probably never will be, and I'm not even sure if I want it to be.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,261 times
I recently stayed on oceanview blvd in norfolk,va What a blighted area! I was shocked! Here you have the beautiful atlantic ocean as a backdrop and the whole area is like a slum.. WHY?

Old 03-19-2017, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,261 times
What a complete disappointment to vacation in norfolk,va near the ocean . Why haven't they made this a desirable tourist attraction? You have the gem of the atlantic coastline and it has been literally destroyed with run down houses, no restaurants to speak of. So blighted! WHAT HAPPENED/ I'm from southern california and our coastlines have been developed into lovely tourist areas. WHAT A SHAME. From extremely disappointed traveler.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 PM

19 posts, read 25,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperjames7 View Post
What a complete disappointment to vacation in norfolk,va near the ocean . Why haven't they made this a desirable tourist attraction? You have the gem of the atlantic coastline and it has been literally destroyed with run down houses, no restaurants to speak of. So blighted! WHAT HAPPENED/ I'm from southern california and our coastlines have been developed into lovely tourist areas. WHAT A SHAME. From extremely disappointed traveler.
Norfolk is next to the Chesapeake Bay, not the Atlantic Ocean. The neighborhood name "Ocean View" is a misnomer. Ocean View used to be a big resort area from the early 20th century until the 1970s. Competition from Williamsburg theme parks and the Virginia Beach Oceanfront pretty much killed it, and the blight set in. It's a mostly a working class community, though there are now some gentrified, affluent parts (like East Beach). Ocean View's main road, Route 60, runs east to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront, which has the attractions you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area