Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:16 PM

15 posts, read 53,633 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing that Western Branch is the best part of Chesapeake, so I was wondering if anyone knew of some apartments that were reasonably priced
(700's for 2 bedroom) in this area. I've done some searching and my problem is that I'm not sure if I'm searching in the Western Branch area. I found one apartment complex that seems great called Taylor Pointe, if anyone can tell me about that place it would be great. Let me know of any other suggestions, maybe a place that I wouldn't find in an apartment guide or on the internet.....
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,330,751 times
Western Branch is mostly SFH - however, Taylor Pointe is defintely in that area. I live within a mile of where I think it would be. That area is Ok. It is not really bad, and not wonderful. Grocery is very close - as well as a few fast food places, drug stores and banks. A small-mid size shopping mall is within 2-3 miles - also Super Walmart, Target, Starbucks, chain restaurants etc. You are close to the highway and we are right in the middle of Hampton Roads so everything is within 30 minutes.

I would be more than happy to drive by on my way home tonight to get a feel for exactly which apts they are. I am technically disadvantaged so I cannot send a photo but I will take a look for you.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 PM

thanks so much for the info! funny, but when you said it was near target that was a BIG selling point! i think this place looks very nice in the pictures at least, so hopefully it's the same in person. i'm working in suffolk and have been searching apartments there, but it just seems too small-town for me, even though i have seen that it's an up and coming area.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 AM

275 posts, read 870,100 times
You also might want to check out the Greenbrier section, zip codes 23320/25. There's quite a few apartment complexes near Greenbrier Mall, and you're close to Wal-Mart and Target, and some nice shopping centers. Not sure if they're in your budget though; $700 sounds kinda low for Greenbrier, but I'm basing that off of one complex, Greenbrier Woods.

Beware though, traffic on Volvo Pkwy. and Greenbrier Pkwy. is a pain in the rear during the day!

Old 07-10-2007, 02:12 AM

2 posts, read 10,105 times
Wink Greenbrier or Great Bridge

Being a resident of Great Bridge most of my life I feel the Great Bridge or Greenbrier area has nice apartments, Try GreenTree apts, I used to live there and they were nice and reasonably priced.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:22 AM

Michelle,
I drove by last night and they are very nice. I was thinking this was a complex further down the street. I would definitely move there!

Right next door is a brand new condo type development for ages 55+. You are less than a minute to 664 and 5 minutes to Chesapeake Square Mall (which is my hangout on Sat and Sun mornings!). I travel from Portsmouth to Chesapeake for work and rarely have any traffic issues on 664.

Suffolk is up and coming, but it seems that the area is so spread out that it will be another 10 years before it catches up.
Stacy

Old 07-11-2007, 02:08 PM

thank stacy! i actually called and got them to send me the paperwork, i'm so excited. hopefully this will be the place for me and my family!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 13,280 times
Default May Want To Go Elsewhere

Coming from someone who works for a real estate company and does market comps for apartment complexes, I'd look somewhere else if you haven't already signed the contract. This area as a whole is not great, "hoodish" is a word thrown around a lot. Its a bit more expensive, but try to stay in the Deep Creek/Great Bridge/Greenbrier area. If you're ok with traveling just a bit farther, look into the Harbourview area of Suffolk. It's just a few miles (5 to 6) from the complex your looking at, but also more expensive (nicer). Not all apartments that look good on paper, are good. Check out apartmentratings.com to get a better feel for what residents think of there apartment complexes.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 AM

16 posts, read 86,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamdogg View Post
Coming from someone who works for a real estate company and does market comps for apartment complexes, I'd look somewhere else if you haven't already signed the contract. This area as a whole is not great, "hoodish" is a word thrown around a lot. Its a bit more expensive, but try to stay in the Deep Creek/Great Bridge/Greenbrier area. If you're ok with traveling just a bit farther, look into the Harbourview area of Suffolk. It's just a few miles (5 to 6) from the complex your looking at, but also more expensive (nicer). Not all apartments that look good on paper, are good. Check out apartmentratings.com to get a better feel for what residents think of there apartment complexes.
Sorry to go off topic, but I just want to note: I live in the Deep Creek area of Chesapeake, and I wouldn't recommend any of the apartments out here. When I moved in these apartments, they were $645 a month. That was about a year and a half ago. They are now leasing for $725 a month. They are not worth that much.

We are right on the edge of the "hood". Some people say that Deep Creek is turning around, but I don't see it. We hear gunshots often, and the cops won't investigate, other than to drive through and see if there's anyone lying on the road. If they go that far... We can't get food delivered after dark, nor can we get a taxi when the sun goes down.

There are pockets of good areas out here, but a person really has to look to find them. And these pockets consist of houses and homeowners - not apartments.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:58 AM

Roamdog.... Come on now!!! I am totally surprised at the 'hoodish' term for that area. I understand that further down the road toward Western Branch Blvd you might call that 'hoodish' but not really at the other end. The poster is obviously on a limited budget and probably cannot afford Harbourview.

Half of Hampton Roads has bad neighborhoods! This area is crazy like that - you can change lifestyle from block to block around here.

I have lived in Churchland for 4 years now (granted it is nothing like the suburban neighborhood I moved from in NoVa) and I feel pretty safe. The people are friendly and it has a small town feel. As long as you use common sense, you will be safe in Hampton Roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area