U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 AM

64 posts, read 105,367 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking of relocating to the VBA/surrounding areas, with my four kids, ages 9-16. We do not have to be right in VBA, but would like to be no more then 1 1/2 from beach.

1) We would like to find an area were me and the kids can walk and get and ice cream, a latte, or sit outside and enjoy lunch at a cafe. My kids are not into major sports; but do like ice skating, laser tag, skateboarding. As well as art, photography, manga, anime and anything Japanese, France or England related.

What about Science centers, aquariums, theme parks, water parks (here it is $38 a PERSON for 4 hours...)

2) I am just starting my research on different areas, but would like some in put on hospitals, shopping (food & clothes), and schools. I currently academically homeschooling them. Yet, they are interested in returning to school rather it be a public, private, alternative such as a Sudbury. (I have a LD child who needs OT and Speech, which is also why we need a great hospital near by.)

3) I will be renting ($900-1200...I know not much to work with) work from home so not tied to a curtain area. My "DREAM" house would be a 4 bedroom/2 bath, with garage and yard, but could deal with 3 bedroom with full basement.

4) What about crime in these areas? Are there any towns that are a MUST to AVOID?

5) Are there areas to avoid due to smells, race tracks (noise), etc?

Someone had suggested Smithfield? Any feed back on this town?

We are looking for a new town to start over in after a few years of bad luck.(Safe town, affordable rent, good schools/alt schools, actvities for kids, shopping not to far and good hospitals....is there such a town. Lol)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danni~
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 11:51 AM

3,108 posts, read 3,556,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni923 View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of relocating to the VBA/surrounding areas, with my four kids, ages 9-16. We do not have to be right in VBA, but would like to be no more then 1 1/2 from beach.

1) We would like to find an area were me and the kids can walk and get and ice cream, a latte, or sit outside and enjoy lunch at a cafe. My kids are not into major sports; but do like ice skating, laser tag, skateboarding. As well as art, photography, manga, anime and anything Japanese, France or England related.

What about Science centers, aquariums, theme parks, water parks (here it is $38 a PERSON for 4 hours...)

The VA Aquarium is all day admission for much less than that. There is Also Ocean Breeze IN VAB, Bush gardens/Water Country in Williamsburg. Again all have all day admission but it's not cheep. They usually give VA residents discounts, and there are usually specials to be had from time to time. There is a laser tag place near 264 and Lynnhaven in VAB. There are not a ton of museums in the area, but there are plenty as long as you're not expecting NYC. Also you're not that far from DC is you wanted to go to the Smithsonian for the weekend. There is plenty around here to keep my son busy.

2) I am just starting my research on different areas, but would like some in put on hospitals, shopping (food & clothes), and schools. I currently academically homeschooling them. Yet, they are interested in returning to school rather it be a public, private, alternative such as a Sudbury. (I have a LD child who needs OT and Speech, which is also why we need a great hospital near by.)

CHKD (Children's hospital of the Kings Daughters) is in Norfolk, and they provide all of the services you will need and then some. They have satellite office all around the area. Services like speech and OT are in aboundance around here.

3) I will be renting ($900-1200...I know not much to work with) work from home so not tied to a curtain area. My "DREAM" house would be a 4 bedroom/2 bath, with garage and yard, but could deal with 3 bedroom with full basement.

That being said I hate to say you won't be able to live in town center (high rise condo or apartment) in VAB for that price. That area would be the closest to your requirements in VAB. I'm pretty sure you could get a place in the size you need in Freemason/Ghent (Norfolk) for that price either. You'll also have a hard time finding a basement around here because you'll be so close to sea level.

This isn't a very walkable area, and the places that are walkable tend to be more expensive.

4) What about crime in these areas? Are there any towns that are a MUST to AVOID?

I would avoid Portsmouth. Once you pick a city I would ask again for specific areas to avoid.

Jet noise near Oceana. Your landlord will have to tell you what your noise level is.

I don't know much about Smithfield, but I think with traffic it'll be more that 1.5 hours to the ocean front.

We are looking for a new town to start over in after a few years of bad luck.(Safe town, affordable rent, good schools/alt schools, actvities for kids, shopping not to far and good hospitals....is there such a town. Lol)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danni~
Good Luck!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 PM

3,508 posts, read 8,747,472 times

Virginia Beach near Mt. Trashmore in the Windsor Woods area is nice. Mt. T has skateboarding area that is monitored and their new childrens' area will be as well. There is a "Cool Stuff" place where the kids can trade games with the store or sell what they don't want and get a credit/cash for later purchases.

VB has a water park, go-carting, vb aquarium and for a day at the theme park (Busch Gardens), residents get a two day pass.

There are private and christian schools in the area as well and VB does have a good school system in general. Princess Anne, Kempsville and Cox are very well known.

You won't find many basements in this area. I'm not sure what rent is running on a 3br homes these days, but I don't think 1200 would get you what you want.

I wouldn't say "towns to avoid," rather "areas to avoid after dark."

Smithfield is a nice area, but you are quite aways from the previous requests.
Oceana is a Naval Air Base and the folks who own in that area like living there. As far as smells, we don't have catfood factories or racetracks unless you count Dover Downs horse race tv betting.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Default Thanks

I have opened up my reach to a much larger area, thanks to the suggestions that Smithfield is longer then an 1 1/2. I enjoyed reading more online about Mt Trashmore, especially how the name came about. Lol
Danni

Any other suggestions on towns, people????

Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
I am a Virginia Beach native who moved to Smithfield to enjoy a little slower pace of life. I have two kids, and have found the public schools to be good. We are only 1 hour from the oceanfront and due to bridges and tunnels, we are pretty close to all of Hampton Roads. Smithfield has a really quaint downtown with shops and restaurants, basic shopping (no big box stores) and a skating rink. Carrollton (which is even closer to Hampton Roads) is also a great place...it is located off of Rt. 17 between the James River Bridge and Northern Suffolk.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:28 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the comments on Smithfield, I will take a look at Carrollton.

Anyone else have any suggestions?? Thanks

Old 11-21-2010, 07:31 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,747,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni923 View Post
Thanks for the comments on Smithfield, I will take a look at Carrollton.

Anyone else have any suggestions?? Thanks
If you don't mind the commute, Suffolk isn't bad either. Carrolton is building up and that will allow for more in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area