Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 7,983 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to Virginia Beach from Nashville this fall. I've never been there, but plan on visiting soon. Before I visit, I'd like to get an idea of what to look for in the city.

Here are some things about us:
  • We are socially liberal, fiscally conservative, environmentally friendly.
  • We have a toddler who will be two at the time of the move; she has been thriving in a Montessori environment.
  • My husband will be working in the Town Center area, close to the mall.
Here are some of our preferences:
  • A short commute is important, though an easy ride on public transportation would also be fine. Ability to safely bike or walk a plus.
  • Good schools are important, though private montessori is an option. Ability to safely bike or walk to school a plus.
  • We would like to live in an updated house with space around it (not too close to the neighbors). Size isn't very important, but we would like some thing 1,800-2,600 square feet.
  • Zero/low jet noise a plus.
  • While our housing budget is widely flexible, I would prefer something in the $250,000-325,000 range since shifting our budget to afford more would otherwise affect our quality of life. Doable if necessary to get the house we want, but not preferable.
Questions:
  • What neighborhoods would be good for us? Which ones should I avoid?
  • Does anyone know anything about the Montessori schools in the area?
  • Will our hippy selves feel out of place in HR? What areas of town will feel more comfortable?
Feel free to ask me any questions necessary to give sound advice. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by koalarich; 01-13-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,302,045 times
Is there any way you can turn back?

Even in the landslide Dem year of 2008, VA Beach still went to McCain and in 2004 went very comfortably to Bush.

The city has dismal public transportation.

Commutes are not short and traffic is getting pretty bad. Leaders claim there is simply no money to do any projects (and are also pushing for private companies to build and operate public roadways) and would rather let the region suffer economically as opposed to make tough choices. The most recent updated proposal to try and alleviate some congestion scrapped the ideas on adding a rail line or even a dedicated bus lane.

Schools vary significantly by the district. I would go private. After the attempted bombing of a VA Beach school I would never send my kids to one.

Jet noise Yes, you'll hear jet noise.

Safety varies considerably by area. Some areas are perfectly fine and others you wouldn't want to even drive through.

From your description, your hippy selves will not fit in here.

People here are happy with status quo. It's very much about "me." If I'm okay, I have a McMansion, and I drive my SUV, I'm peachy.... anyone tries to disturb that and I'll go the jugular.

BTW, thank you for adding something about yourself! So many people come on this forum and just say "is VA Beach or HR a good place to live?" without saying a word about themselves.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,504,370 times
Homes around Town Center vary greatly but most homes are older ones (middle 50's on - suburban stock homes). There is Pembroke Manor which is right behind TC which really varies street to street. Some are kept up others are not. You might also consider nearby Thalia which is a heavily wooded area very close to TC. I once was looking for a home there but few were updated. These days housing prices have fallen a lot so you might be able to get a deal. A quick glance shows there are only 5 homes for sale in that area. That particular area tends not to be as transient and I think public schools are pretty good there. Probably a good mix of liberal to conservative in that neighborhood. In addition, its a quick ride to TC or even walk depending on far back you live in Thalia. Most homes are closer together however though there is little jet noise in this area. Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:49 PM

148 posts, read 370,164 times
I work in town center and I've met quite a few "hippy types" out and about. I'm not sure on the immediate neighborhoods as I live in Chesapeake and I can't tell you about housing prices as well as some of the others here could. If you live in Virginia Beach at all, you'll most likely encounter some jet noise; some places more than others. I don't hear any and never see any jets in Chesapeake. My commute from Chesapeake to Town Center runs me about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic which isn't that bad at all if you can factor in some music or something. There's quite a few different back roads and alternate routes I take if the traffic on the highway is particularly bad so all in all, as far as traffic, it will be your average metro type deal during rush hour.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 PM

359 posts, read 757,555 times
If you can tolerate being around a bunch of social conservatives...
and a high church density (remember, Americans "do not consider ourselves a Christian nation, or a Muslim nation, but rather, a nation of citizens who are, uh, bound by a set of values."), you'll be fine. I know it's unfashionable and they usually "just don't get it," but their so-called traditional values kind of lets me put my guard down. My neighbors and I are friends, invite me over for ribs. Now THAT's unsettling. I wonder what they're plotting???

Old 01-13-2011, 10:22 PM

Working to convert you no doubt

Old 01-14-2011, 06:20 AM

148 posts, read 370,164 times
BTW: Just because an area barely voted for McCain in 2008 doesn't' mean the area is run down full of conservatives or whatever, lol. If anything, a lot of military people probably felt more of a connection with him. Yes, there are crazy religious types including Pat Robertson (I hate his guts) here, but at least we don't have something like the Phelps family. I'd say it's a pretty tight 50/50 in terms of liberal/conservative types. I remember back before the Iraq war, everyone I spoke to was against it here; shocking to some that may be and I'm sure there was just as many for it. Pretty good mix of political cultures here, probably why a lot of stuff doesn't get done that could improve the cities.

You'll find your clique just like anywhere else if you try; but I'd suggest more than anything that you take a trip down here before moving to ultimately get a feel for the area and I see you're already planning it.

Hopefully you find what you're looking for, but if not, hope you at least enjoy your stay!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 AM

Thanks for info, everyone. It sounds like we're going to need to branch out a bit from TC to find an area that will fit our needs. My husband's VB colleagues say that traffic isn't bad as long as you're on the same side of all bridges/tunnels as your destination. Does that sound right?

We're used to being surrounded by conservatives; while metro Nashville is 60%D/40%R, the suburb we lived in before was 30%D/70%R. I think we'll be fine in the 50%/50% mix of VB, as long as there are things available for our lifestyle (vegetarian restaurants, farmers markets, recycling centers, organic/vegetarian options at the grocery, outdoor recreation). What about these things?

My idea right now is to do a winter rental from Dec 2011 to June 2012 to get an idea of the area, then buy. I'm just trying to narrow it down at this point. But man, I was starting to get excited about this change, but now I'm starting to get depressed that we'll be miserable there. Too bad he's not getting transferred to the other coast...

Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalarich View Post
Thanks for info, everyone. It sounds like we're going to need to branch out a bit from TC to find an area that will fit our needs. My husband's VB colleagues say that traffic isn't bad as long as you're on the same side of all bridges/tunnels as your destination. Does that sound right?

We're used to being surrounded by conservatives; while metro Nashville is 60%D/40%R, the suburb we lived in before was 30%D/70%R. I think we'll be fine in the 50%/50% mix of VB, as long as there are things available for our lifestyle (vegetarian restaurants, farmers markets, recycling centers, organic/vegetarian options at the grocery, outdoor recreation). What about these things?

My idea right now is to do a winter rental from Dec 2011 to June 2012 to get an idea of the area, then buy. I'm just trying to narrow it down at this point. But man, I was starting to get excited about this change, but now I'm starting to get depressed that we'll be miserable there. Too bad he's not getting transferred to the other coast...
It still really depends. If you go out and look at Indian River Road these days, 264 is also famous for all sorts of backups. Of course being on the right side of the tunnel will help, just don't expect it will be free flowing.

Vegetarian restaurants, simply put, no. Farmers markets, they try and do one in downtown Norfolk during the summer. During the winter, no. Recycling, I'm not sure if VA Beach has gotten rid of their recycling program or not. I know most cities don't have it and you have to bring your recycle to the center. Not a big deal, but doesn't promote environmental health, IMO.

Farm Fresh stores have very small organic sections, as do Krogers. The prices are usually pretty high though (not sure if you're familiar with the Amy's brand frozen foods, but one little meal at the Farm Fresh was almost $7! I don't ever remember it being that high)

There is outdoor recreation in the summer. There are some parks around, the beach, etc. During the winter it's pretty dead.

I mention the 2008 election simply for the fact that it was a HUGE year and a landslide for Obama, yet he still did not carry VA Beach. It was close, but again, he didn't get it. If you look back at a year like 2004 where it was a close election you'll see the true sway of the Beach. It's not 50/50 at all. 70 conservative 30 liberal is about right.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 AM

According to voting records, those registered in VB are right at 50/50 D/R.

If we decide to say "to hell" with having a short commute, are there other areas of HR that might work well for us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area