Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 09:45 AM

23 posts, read 85,537 times

Advertisements

My vote: I make an almost daily commute to work going down Tidewater Dr (from downtown to the 64 ramp). It's the pits - narrow and bumpy. The road would fit right in in Honduras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 03:52 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Brambleton as well..it's a mess

Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
my vote would be all of them

Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM

492 posts, read 1,026,761 times
Tidewater Dr. is horrible. Actually a lot of the roads around the outskirts of downtown Norfolk seem to be the worst. (Brambleton, Tidewater, Princess Anne)

Aside from condition, VA Beach has the worst roads as far as traffic. Its impossible to avoid traffic in VA Beach. Most of the roads in VA Beach need to be widened. Traffic never seems to be an issue when traveling through Norfolk. Ill take a narrow potholed road over a narrow road with traffic.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:29 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Tidewater Dr. is horrible. Actually a lot of the roads around the outskirts of downtown Norfolk seem to be the worst. (Brambleton, Tidewater, Princess Anne)

Aside from condition, VA Beach has the worst roads as far as traffic. Its impossible to avoid traffic in VA Beach. Most of the roads in VA Beach need to be widened. Traffic never seems to be an issue when traveling through Norfolk. Ill take a narrow potholed road over a narrow road with traffic.
I agree with you. Just having spent over two hours doing errands in VB, all I can say is that when we're inching along in traffic we don't hit the pot holes as hard.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:38 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Traffic seems to be because they time their lights so horribly. You finally get to go and then light after light turns from green to red just seconds before you approach. I timed some yesterday evening while I was sitting at them on Princess Anne and almost every single light took 2.5 minutes. Doesn't seem like a lot until you add up how many their are!

I can make it from my place (not in VA Beach) to the highway in 5 minutes if I get no lights. When I get the lights it takes me 15 minutes. This morning I went out around 11:00 AM and didn't get to the highway (because of traffic, morons and lights) until 11:23 AM. Then I still had another 15 miles to get where I was going.

And I won't even get started on the dope in Portsmouth that almost gunned it into the right lane (right into me) because she didn't want to wait behind somebody at a RED light (who stopped about 30 feet from the stop line) or the other moron that didn't want me to pass him going over a bridge (two lanes before the bridge, one lane over the bridge and two lanes when you get back off) so he rode in the middle of both lanes for about two tenths of a mile. When we got to the other side I looked over and saw he had his kid, probably 8 or 10 years old, in the front seat. Nice to know his father puts him at risk like that because he's a self absorbed jackass.

If we got rid of the ones that can't drive and timed the lights better, our roads, minus all the potholes, would be much better.

Rant over

Old 01-29-2011, 06:32 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Traffic seems to be because they time their lights so horribly. You finally get to go and then light after light turns from green to red just seconds before you approach. I timed some yesterday evening while I was sitting at them on Princess Anne and almost every single light took 2.5 minutes. Doesn't seem like a lot until you add up how many their are!

I can make it from my place (not in VA Beach) to the highway in 5 minutes if I get no lights. When I get the lights it takes me 15 minutes. This morning I went out around 11:00 AM and didn't get to the highway (because of traffic, morons and lights) until 11:23 AM. Then I still had another 15 miles to get where I was going.

And I won't even get started on the dope in Portsmouth that almost gunned it into the right lane (right into me) because she didn't want to wait behind somebody at a RED light (who stopped about 30 feet from the stop line) or the other moron that didn't want me to pass him going over a bridge (two lanes before the bridge, one lane over the bridge and two lanes when you get back off) so he rode in the middle of both lanes for about two tenths of a mile. When we got to the other side I looked over and saw he had his kid, probably 8 or 10 years old, in the front seat. Nice to know his father puts him at risk like that because he's a self absorbed jackass.

If we got rid of the ones that can't drive and timed the lights better, our roads, minus all the potholes, would be much better.

Rant over
I can't blame the lights....I blame the phones and text messaging. Yesterday, 4 cars missed a turn signal because the leader at the light was text messaging and no one was going anywhere until she finished.

Phones...get off the damn thing and drive! Call them when you get home or pull over.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
I agree with the no texting/talking and driving! People here can't even master the art of driving, no matter adding those two things into the mix.

VA really needs to implement text banning laws as well as hands free only laws.

But the lights are a major problem They're not timed right. The Peninsula has better timed lights. If you ever go up and down Jefferson or Mercury, sometimes you'll get one or two, but never every single one like you get on the Southside.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:39 AM

159 posts, read 531,869 times
[quote=

VA really needs to implement text banning laws as well as hands free only laws.

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more! I was actually driving to work the other morning and was in the VaBeach exit only lane going east on 64. I was watching the guy in front of me through his side mirror texting. I just had a really bad feeling about it (since it was rush hour and it was stop and go) and BAM he slams into the car in front of him causing that car to hit the car in front of him. I saw it all right before my eyes but went around as quickly as I could to avoid being a witness!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,122 times
Any tunnel. Come on people, stop slamming on the breaks when entering. there is no need for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area