U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:37 PM

351 posts, read 359,726 times

Advertisements

What the heck gives?!?!

Within the past two weeks of news:

- 30+ robberies this month: VB residents on alert after robberies | WAVY.com | Virginia Beach, Va.

- A Salem High alum (age: 19) is sentenced to 40 years of prison for home invasion murder/rape.

- Banks: Virginia Beach police look for bank robbery suspect - dailypress.com

- Alleged felons in custody: Crime Line tip leads to arrest of 4 suspects in Virginia Beach robberies - Daily Press

- Dollar General on Princess Anne.

- Numerous convenience stores robbed including the Indian Lakes Mart, which I saw on the news this evening, < 1 mi. away from my neighborhood. The clerk fired FIRST, bless him. I don't know how he managed it, the piece of human trash that barged in weapon-drawn entered very quickly.
  • Walgreens', dry cleaners, others! Virginia Beach Chief of Police speaks out about recent string of robberies - WTKR (http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-vb-robberies-jan19,0,2553579.story - broken link)
- Assorted home invasions late last year (more near Green Run).

To arms! To arms! VB is turning into a gangstas' paradise. Security officers in Food Lion?! Thug life/thug culture has finally reached saturation in what used to be a sleepy, pleasant town, and is bubbling over! Is this bleed-over from the rest of the Seven Cities?? (I'm looking at you, Hampton and Norfolk.) I can't wait to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:11 PM

3,249 posts, read 4,185,351 times
The idea that HR is devoid of crime has been a joke on everyone that has ever believed it. VA Beach has never really been a completely safe place.

I'm wondering how they'll explain this considering the light rail isn't bringing in the criminals as of yet.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:20 AM

9 posts, read 13,040 times
Default Is Chesapeake better in this regard?

After reading the above, I was wondering if there has been a lot of crime in Chesapeake lately? The reason being that we have to make a decision if we should move to Va Beach or Chespeake. Regards.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 AM

8,466 posts, read 2,612,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuvuzela View Post
After reading the above, I was wondering if there has been a lot of crime in Chesapeake lately? The reason being that we have to make a decision if we should move to Va Beach or Chespeake. Regards.
Each city has crimes. It's just that lately, this spree or whatever it is happens to be occurring in VB. It's being talked about in the media quite often. A year ago, it seemed like all one heard about were crimes in Newport News.

I know that every city has crime, but I sure wish Virginia Beach police would be more visible at these places. I've heard that some of the businesses are being hit more than once too. The Indian Lakes Food Mart for example. I wish more places could/would be able to shoot back.

It's disconcerting right now. For the first time since I've been here, I'm uncomfortable if I have to go to the ATM at night. I'm more aware of my surroundings than I have been in the past.

I know this doesn't answer your questions about crime in Chesapeake. The only thing I can think of that will provide you with facts and not speculation is to check the crime database at the local paper's website. That's the local paper and their data is comprised from the actual crime reports for an area.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 AM

3,249 posts, read 4,185,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
I know that every city has crime, but I sure wish Virginia Beach police would be more visible at these places.
They're too busy hiding in bushes along roadways. Maybe they think that's where the criminals are.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 AM

8,466 posts, read 2,612,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
They're too busy hiding in bushes along roadways. Maybe they think that's where the criminals are.

Have to agree with you on that one. I don't think expired inspection stickers or registrations or failing to use a turn signal is quite as important as stopping or preventing some of these robberies.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:39 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,335,280 times
Quote:
I'm wondering how they'll explain this considering the light rail isn't bringing in the criminals as of yet.
Tried to rep you for this, but couldn't. Well said.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:35 PM

434 posts, read 489,887 times
Quote:
The idea that HR is devoid of crime has been a joke on everyone that has ever believed it. VA Beach has never really been a completely safe place.

Good one!...

This is nothing more than a wake up call to show that even good 'ol Virginia Beach has crime just like Norfolk/Portsmouth.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:38 PM

434 posts, read 489,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
To arms! To arms! VB is turning into a gangstas' paradise. Security officers in Food Lion?! Thug life/thug culture has finally reached saturation in what used to be a sleepy, pleasant town, and is bubbling over! Is this bleed-over from the rest of the Seven Cities?? (I'm looking at you, Hampton and Norfolk.) I can't wait to move.
Typical.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 566,072 times
Quote:

Police are only there to respond to a crime not protect you from crime.
Personal protection is YOUR responsibility.
Teddy Roosevelt had a saying "Speak softly & carry a BIG stick"!
Or in other words
Get a carry permit, train often & carry a gun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area