Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:06 PM

270 posts, read 488,056 times

Advertisements

So I'm sick and tired of the crazy high cable bill and want to get rid of it...but it's scary! I like my TV...I have the whole digital package (well, not HBO, Showtime, etc) with the DVR but of course it's not like I watch alllll the channels.

I'm looking at my options, so if you have had experience cutting the cable, let me know how you do it!

What channels can you get with JUST your TV? Can I just get an indoor antennae, or will I need to get a converter box too?

Anyone have internet TV? What's your experience with that? I know you can get the apps, but can you go on say, abc.com and watch shows from there??

Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:16 PM

359 posts, read 758,958 times
Broke my ties and living much happier. Problem is, I waste a lot of time on the 'net. But then, "Time enjoyed is time well-spent."

How many times have you complained to yourself that there's only garbage on? (Jersey Shore, s-e-x this and that, baby daddy DNA testing, etc. etc. ad nauseum)

I have limited basic cable, and internet. Total bill: about 40 bucks. Much nicer than paying $120. I have about 23 channels, more than enough - nothing's on anyway! I guess I like AMC and local news the most.

You can do it! Cut it!

P.S. THEY WILL NOT TELL YOU ABOUT LIMITED BASIC. I didn't even know that was an option until asking over 3 times how to lower my bill! I'd take up the conversation every few months or so when I got sick of one of the pay channels and wanted to swap HBO for Showtime, etc. They go around regurgitating directly into the public consciousness "bundle this" and "bundle that." Nonsense!

And whenever I see that annoying Cox guy with the atrocious ten years out-of-date puke green v-neck and blazing white undershirt, I want to throw the tube out the window!!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
So I'm sick and tired of the crazy high cable bill and want to get rid of it...but it's scary! I like my TV...I have the whole digital package (well, not HBO, Showtime, etc) with the DVR but of course it's not like I watch alllll the channels.

I'm looking at my options, so if you have had experience cutting the cable, let me know how you do it!

What channels can you get with JUST your TV? Can I just get an indoor antennae, or will I need to get a converter box too?

Anyone have internet TV? What's your experience with that? I know you can get the apps, but can you go on say, abc.com and watch shows from there??

Please help
Hell I've NEVER had cable. There is more than enough local stuff on TV - I don't have enough time to watch that as it is. I get TONS of channels OTA...no problem. If you have a HD tv, with the digital receiver built in, then all you need is an antenna. I have rabbit ears for the tv in my bedroom, and that's all it needs. My tv in my living room is hooked up to a large antenna that eventually will be mounted on my roof. Right now, it's just sitting in the attic.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:05 PM

I won't lie, I love my TV. And I actually enjoy some of the "trashy" shows at times haha. They're good background when I'm cleaning the house and only need half my brain What channels do you get OTA?? I'm hoping an indoor antenna will suffice because I'm in a condo so nothing outside will really work for me. And I definitely will remember the basic cable option...I'm keeping my internet but even paying HALF what I pay now would be a relief!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I won't lie, I love my TV. And I actually enjoy some of the "trashy" shows at times haha. They're good background when I'm cleaning the house and only need half my brain What channels do you get OTA?? I'm hoping an indoor antenna will suffice because I'm in a condo so nothing outside will really work for me. And I definitely will remember the basic cable option...I'm keeping my internet but even paying HALF what I pay now would be a relief!!!
Go to antennaweb and plug in your address. It will give you all the local channels.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,229 times
If you are keeping the high speed internet check out Netflix

Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,235 times
Im with you on this. I have managed to cut down all of my unnecessary monthly expenses except for the cable bill. I pay like $180 for two cable boxes with DVR, a few movie channels and internet. Each month I look at that bill and just imagine what I could do with the extra money if I didnt have cable. And to make it worst, lately Ive found myself only looking at the history channel or the food network. The movie channels are really useless when theres a redbox around the corner. But Im weighing my options now to see how I can reduce that $180 or get rid of the expense all together while maintaining some sort of satisfaction.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 PM

I talked to one of my friends who just uses a digital antenna and he seems pretty happy...I think I'm going to try that, plus I have Netflix. I may need to get just BASIC cable but I'm hoping I can get those channels with the antenna. I will keep my internet so I can always watch shows on my computer (which I don't usually do because I do work on here)...I'm sure that if I find that I'm dying without the cable, cox will take me back haha So that's my plan, now I just need to take the plunge...

Old 02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,229 times
Quote:
I will keep my internet so I can always watch shows on my computer (which I don't usually do because I do work on here)...
Don't forget Netflix works on your TV if you happen to have a Nintendo Wii, PS3 or XBox 360 ( Xbox would cost $60 a year for them) But also many Blueray Players Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial I found the Samsung Blueray at Walmart for $86 (some have wireless built in) but they all have Network connectors. Also Blockbuster on demand On Demand Movies | Rent or Buy & Watch on TV, PC or other Device has many movies like cox on demand but require no contract an only cost $3.99 The Samsung Blueray also receives their stream, but so do other units.
Yet more options

Old 02-23-2011, 03:26 PM

86 posts, read 295,192 times
If you're computer savvy you can hookup a computer to your TV and watch almost every show through HULU or other network websites. You can also easily download HBO shows and premium network shows through torrents and watch them through your computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area