Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 05:24 PM

18 posts, read 41,659 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I posted a thread last summer about relocating to the Hampton Roads area. My husband is stationed at Naval Station Norfolk, and we have two young children. Since he was immediately deployed upon arrival at Norfolk, we decided to stay in Washington state to finish out my son's first year of school. I got lots of help and information in my original post, advice that helped me to decide to purchase a home in either the Deep Creek South or Western Branch areas of Chesapeake, or in north Suffolk. My east coast family is going to look at four properties for me this weekend in those areas. Now my question to you is: which of these addresses will offer the shortest, most pain-free commute for my husband? I have used Google maps, but I know it does not take traffic congestion into account and is, thus, not all that reliable.

3384 Brandywine Dr, Chesapeake (Western Branch North)
2615 Cedar Rd, Chesapeake (Deep Creek South)
2321 Broadnax Dr, Chesapeake (Deep Creek South)
5513 Oriole Rd, Suffolk (North)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Location: Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton
13 posts, read 24,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanobody View Post
Hi all,

I posted a thread last summer about relocating to the Hampton Roads area. My husband is stationed at Naval Station Norfolk, and we have two young children. Since he was immediately deployed upon arrival at Norfolk, we decided to stay in Washington state to finish out my son's first year of school. I got lots of help and information in my original post, advice that helped me to decide to purchase a home in either the Deep Creek South or Western Branch areas of Chesapeake, or in north Suffolk. My east coast family is going to look at four properties for me this weekend in those areas. Now my question to you is: which of these addresses will offer the shortest, most pain-free commute for my husband? I have used Google maps, but I know it does not take traffic congestion into account and is, thus, not all that reliable.

3384 Brandywine Dr, Chesapeake (Western Branch North)
5513 Oriole Rd, Suffolk (North)

Suffolk is the Farthest-I don't recommend. Western Branch in my opinion is the shortest but either way, depending on the time of day, you will have traffic to deal with from all addresses including Midtown Tunnel (Western Branch).

If I had to choose schools, Western Branch would be my choice before Deep Creek.

You may want to find a property closer if you want to avoid traffic. I would keep looking...

This website — gives you all the tools you need to take control of your travels throughout Virginia like never before! To get started, sign up for a personalized My 511 Control Room today — it'll let you see live traffic cameras, receive free mobile alerts and lots more! http://www.511virginia.org/Home.aspx?r=6

Old 03-09-2011, 05:28 AM

179 posts, read 489,707 times
Keep in mind that parts of Deep Creek are now Grassfield school district which I prefer over Deep Creek, at least on the HS level.

Let me check these addresses in the address lookup tool Chesapeake School District Locator
The one on Cedar is zoned for Grassfield HS, Hugo Middle, and Deep Creek Central elementary, all good schools. I will say Cedar is a pretty busy road and not one I would want to live right on.

The Broadnax Dr. address is more in a neighborhood and zones to the same schools.

Depending on what time your husband has to be at work plan for a 30 min commute that could go up if there is an accident. Traffic is what it is in this area. Unless you are going to live right near a base (not something I would want to do) there is going to be a driving.

I live in this area so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Location: Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton
13 posts, read 24,532 times
I agree Grassfield High is a New and more preferable HS then Deep Creek but if traffic is the ultimate issue, you will need to add 15-20 mins more if you go through George Washington and Dominion Blvd During Rush Hour maybe even more. I was showing houses today and had to go through Dominion Blvd today at approx. 5:10 pm and it took about 15 mins to drive 2 miles.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 PM

OwnHomesinVa, the Suffolk home is actually just 5 miles west of the Western Branch home. My concern with finding a closer property is that we'd have to sacrifice safety in addition to sending our kids to bad schools. We don't mind the commute, we just want to find the right balance.

Thanks for the extra info, marnay. We think alike; I can't tell you how many times I've used that School District Locator site over the past few months. The schools are good for all the houses we've chosen--that's one of our priorities. I am especially drawn to the two homes in Deep Creek South because the school districts these homes are in are the best out of the four (better even than the Western Branch area, Deep Creek naysayers, cough cough), and because the houses aren't right on top of each other and have large yards. Broadnax certainly seems more private, with far less traffic, and it has more curb appeal. Even though it is listed for more than the Cedar Rd. property and needs some updating, it would probably be easier to sell/appreciate more in the long run.

Marnay, do you know of any parks/playgrounds/hiking areas/free boat slips (for kayaking) in or around the Deep Creek South area? And should we plan for my husband to leave 45 minutes before work starts to make sure he gets there on time, or would you suggest even earlier?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 AM

I will say with Dominion Blvd. that the bridge opens on the hour except for rush hours, then it is open for commercial vessels by pre-arraginment. So if you can avoid the openening it isn't hard to get through there. It does suck if you get stuck on it though. I am one of those never want to be late people so until he got the hang of what traffic is doing at the time he normally leaves I would say give yourself at least 45 min to be safe. Traffic around the base can get backed up too, so he will just have to test it out.

There are quite a few parks in the area Parks and Facilities (http://www.cityofchesapeake.net/services/depart/park-rec/parks.shtml - broken link) there is a place at Deep Creek Locke park to put in a kayak.

My kids didn't go to that elementary school but I have one in the middle school and she is doing great there.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the useful link. I've thought of a couple more questions, if you don't mind.

How does the gifted and talented program work in Chesapeake schools? Don't they have separate classrooms in each school for them?

Is there a food co-op and/or a local farmer's market that sells directly to the public in Chesapeake? I've done a little research and found that there's a Trader Joe's in Virginia Beach, and a farmer's market in Suffolk, but I'm not sure about Chesapeake.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 AM

The gifted program is grouped by classroom at my daughters elementary school, in the middle school all teachers work in teams and the gifted program has their own team. Not sure about HS.

I have not found a farmers Market here, but in the growing seasons there are numerous u-pick places. I love Trader Joes, I wish it was a little closer but it isn't too far away. There is also a chain called Fresh Market that is more expensive but has some nice organic items, it is also in VaBch.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 AM

Ok, that is good to know about the schools.

I just googled, and found that there is a farmer's market! Here's the link:
Chesapeake Farmers' Market (http://www.chesapeake.va.us/services/depart/agricul/farmers-market.shtml - broken link)

Thanks for your help!

Edit: And no co-op, but I did find a website for "Lulu's Local Food," with a location in Virginia Beach. Have you heard about this place?

Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 PM

Hey good to know! I haven't heard of Lulu's I will have to check it out. If you move to this area I think you and your family will enjoy it. I forgot where you are moving from so it may be really different or not so different than here but I really like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area