Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:54 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times

Advertisements

Virginia is hard to categorize as a whole it has different regions that gives diffrent vibes NOVA and HR are mid atlantic , and believe it or not Richmond is even becoming less southern but most other area in VA are more southern it all depend on where in VA you are and where the person judging is from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:40 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolkhr View Post
Since so many people feel divided on if Hampton Roads (or even Virginia as a whole) is southern or northern, and there seems to be strong arguments on both sides, wouldn't it be fair to say that we are mid-atlantic since we aren't just geographically, but culturally a mix of both?
I don't think many people mentioned it was like the North

Old 04-04-2011, 07:52 AM

148 posts, read 370,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I'm not really sure what camping has to do with the South, but there are literally people in every state who are into the things you listed. They aren't exclusive to Hampton Roads.
I soooo want to give you a rep point for this but I can't atm.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
sbullet wrote:
That and people are all about NASCAR, fishing, camping, hunting and trucks around here.
I'm not following your association with NASCAR and the South. As a kid growing up in PA, I was a huge racing fan, but by the time I had moved south to Virginia Beach, I had outgrown that childhood interest. During the 16 years I lived in Va Bch, I attended exactly ZERO Nascar events, and watched exactly ZERO Nascar events on TV.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:55 PM

68 posts, read 241,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I don't think many people mentioned it was like the North
I know, but I was speaking on the perception that some posters were making about if you live in the states south of Virginia then we're considered northern, and if you live in the states above Virginia then we're considered southern. That's why I said since so many people feel divided on if Hampton Roads (or even Virginia as a whole) is southern or northern, and there seems to be strong arguments on both sides, wouldn't it be fair to say that we are mid-atlantic since we aren't just geographically, but culturally a mix of both?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
I have lived in states NORTH of Virginia and I've lived in states SOUTH of Virginia. Based on my experience living in those other states, prior to living in Virginia, Virginia has more in common with northern states than southern states. BUT and I think this is an important BUT, I am not saying that to negate the experience and/or opinion of anyone who might have experienced exactly the opposite. Assigning a state to any man made division or category is NEVER going to be a consensus assignmnet. There will be disagreement...SO WHAT? That's the nature of a silly exercise like assigning regionality, especially for a state like Virginia which does not fit solidly in either category under consideration. So yes, a Mid-Atlantic designation fits nicely for me. But that begs this question....what other states would join Virginia in the Mid Atlantic category? Once that question is answered, we are certain to encounter the same beast yet again. The states at the northern and southern edges of The Mid Atlantic region are not likley to fit as solidly into it as the more central states of that region. And here we go again!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 04-04-2011 at 03:47 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 03:48 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
what other states would join Virginia in the Mid Atlantic category?
Whenever I use the term "Mid-Atlantic," I refer to Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Whenever I use the term "Mid-Atlantic," I refer to Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland.
Whereas to me it would be Maryland, DC, and Delaware.

I just don't see it as a mix of both the north and south, except NoVA. To me, Hampton Roads is solidly south, as of now.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,066 times
Hampton Roads is "New South" like Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami, etc.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:03 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Whereas to me it would be Maryland, DC, and Delaware.

I just don't see it as a mix of both the north and south, except NoVA. To me, Hampton Roads is solidly south, as of now.
I just think the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries link the entire region, from here to Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area