U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:25 PM

68 posts, read 131,474 times
Default Is Hampton Roads Southern?

On the main Virginia forum, there is an on-going discussion on wheather or not Virginia is a southern state or if it's more mid-atlantic. In my opinion it depends on what region you're in. I feel that if you're in places like southwest Virginia then you'll see more southern traditions and views than if you're in Northern Virginia or Hampton Roads. In my opinion, I also feel like despite Hampton Roads being furthor south than Richmond, that Richmond is more southern due to the Hampton Roads area's military presence and way of life in general.

What do you think about this area in particular? Do you think Hampton Roads is southern or more mid-atlantic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 PM

3,230 posts, read 3,992,211 times
Southern all the way... unfortunately.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:44 PM

1,545 posts, read 3,592,225 times
It's the south but a lot less so than NC. Comparing Raleigh to say VB, which both places have lots of transplants, hands down Raleigh feels way more southern than VB. Not a bad thing just the way it seems to me. I read somewhere here on CD that VA is the bottom of the north and the top of the south which accurately describes it. Interestingly, I find, a bit stronger southern feel say in Chesapeake than in VB but it would have to do with the amount of transplants is larger plus of course Chesapeake is south of VB. HR is southern 'lite' imo.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM

1,802 posts, read 1,779,391 times
It feels southern to me. Maybe its because I live in a rural part of HR.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:36 PM

53 posts, read 76,496 times
mid-atlantic

Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 PM

72 posts, read 157,764 times
I would say transitional. Southern + midatlantic

Old 03-29-2011, 06:56 PM

1,589 posts, read 3,218,925 times
I think it's Mid-Atlantic, which in itself is a mixture of both Southern and Northeastern culture. I believe any city in the Chesapeake Bay Region (from here to Baltimore, really) has elements of that mixture. We're in a transitional part of the country, where those two cultures meet and neither seems to dominate. But as far as my own personal experience, I've always felt a bigger affiliation with the Northeast. Many of my friends (and myself included) are first generation Virginians who's families are from places like Philadelphia and New York. Much of my own family is from Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. And I rarely travel south. If I go anywhere it's usually up to Baltimore or New York.

My sister and I are the first of my family to be born in Virginia, and we've never considered ourselves Southern. Just Virginian, I guess.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:54 PM

3,230 posts, read 3,992,211 times
Opinions like those posted in today's newspaper reiterate the fact that HR is still backwards southern garbage:

Overstating gay rights | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

While not gay myself, areas that continue to deny rights to the very citizens that pay taxes, help promote prosperity and help create desirable areas to live is simply backwards, and unfortunately southern.

These are the exact reason why the south has such a bad name in the north, and judging from the prosperity coming from the north compared to the south, well, the south ought to pay attention.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 AM

1,589 posts, read 3,218,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Opinions like those posted in today's newspaper reiterate the fact that HR is still backwards southern garbage:

Overstating gay rights | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

While not gay myself, areas that continue to deny rights to the very citizens that pay taxes, help promote prosperity and help create desirable areas to live is simply backwards, and unfortunately southern.

These are the exact reason why the south has such a bad name in the north, and judging from the prosperity coming from the north compared to the south, well, the south ought to pay attention.
But that's just one person's opinion. It hardly means the entire region feels that way. And if you think the only opposition to same-sex marriage comes from the South, then you're mistaken. Besides, what does opposing gay marriage have to do with being Southern anyway? That's something that many people all over the world believe.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 AM

148 posts, read 197,266 times
I agree with Grendel in regards to the mid-Atlantic/southern feel. It's definitely a mixture of something. Richmond feels a lot more southern than this area despite its geographic location. I think most counties/cities that are further inland tend to trend more towards their southern roots while the coastal areas and bigger cities like Hampton Roads tend to be more of a blend of cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area