U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 27,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lita_g
I've lived here for about 2 years, and if you're looking for affordable apartments, well, I used to live close to Chicks Beach, there are some appartments there that are pretty cheap, I used to live at Windsong Appts. and that area is pretty quiet and it was nice.
Thanks for the tip! I'll check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 11:41 PM

162 posts, read 254,133 times
Default I'll tell you what

I moved here like 5 months ago from outside of Harrisonburg. I actually grew up in Northeast Ohio, and I like Hampton Roads a lot. People talk about the high cost of living, not having a lot to do, the traffic and a lot of other things but I think a lot of it is a matter of perspective. This area doesn't have a lot of the crime you find up North, or even in DC for that matter. It's large enough to where you'll probably never see all of it, yet the people are friendly enough and I've sort of fallen into the pace. My only real criticism has little to do with Hampton Roads and more to do with Virginia's transportation issues; there could be a lot more offered in the way of public transportation. If you don't have reliable transportation of your own I wouldn't really recommend coming here because if you're used to the bus coming by every 5 to 15 minutes, or taking the train, you'll be at somewhat of a disadvantage. Though I feel that will eventually change for the better.

Hampton Roads has a bit of everything for everyone. There are people from various different parts of the country here, so it's diverse, and there's everything from entirely too many shops to fine dining and great entertainment. A lot of artists come through here on tour when they stop through Virginia, and the city has some of the summer festivals that most major cities have in general. As far as the economy, a lot of it seems to be in technology and the service industries, as well as the heavy military presence here. Then again there are plenty of colleges if you need to acquire those skills or in anything else you may choose to pursue a career in.

The other day my old lady asked me if I wanted to move, because we had originally planned to go up to DC. But trying to move from Harrisonburg, I found the most of inquiries that answered back was for temporary work, and I couldn't afford to live in DC for that amount of pay. I could have backpacked and lived out of hotels, but this worked out a lot better for me. As far as rent; it helps to have good credit around here. I eventually settled on a house I'm renting, it's about $1300 and isn't in the best neighborhood, but I haven't had any problems so I'm not complaining. For about that same amount of money you should be able to get something on the beach though; you'll be hard pressed to find anything as cheap as you'd find it in the Midwest though, so forget about $600 rent. This area is more on par with Chicago or perhaps Philadelphia in that respect. Eventually it probably will be as much as DC; condominiums are for as little as 200 k, as much as 2 m, so who knows what will happen.

If I ever do move, I'll probably go up to DC or up to New York, though I don't see that happening anytime soon; just having a great time and taking it one day at a time. I mean some of the problems are to be expected in a major metropolitain area, like the traffic; you'd have to question if you're really living in a major city if you didn't have that.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 15,766 times
Default "Downtown" nice, but not real

As someone else already mentioned, there really is no "downtown" Virginia Beach, but there is the Town Center development. There are a lot of nice bars, restaurants, shops, a nice plaza, and apartments/condos, but that's about it. If you ask me, I think they're trying too hard to make VA Beach something it obviously is not. You can spend days touring real downtown areas, such as New York, Chicago, or Miami, but you can see all of Town Center in an hour (i.e., a real downtown area covers more than two square blocks). Some housing prices in VA Beach are outrageous; a $300k condo about 3-4 miles from this area is touted as "being close to Town Center" and people feel that money is justified for being close to a Ruth's Chris and a California Pizza Kitchen.

Another thing, they're putting up the Westin hotel/condo complex in Town Center right now, and from what I hear some of the units will go for over $1mil., which is ridiculous since your views consist of either ****'s Sporting Goods, Pembroke Mall, Barnes and Noble, or Best Buy. Hardly the same as a villa overlooking Miami Bay and a beautiful sunrise.

Nonetheless, it is a unique area of Virginia Beach. It is pretty much a suburb with tons of people which can be divided into the Boardwalk, Town Center, and strip malls. Also, I have never seen a higher concentration of 7-11s anywhere in my life.

But, all things said, it is still cheaper than a lot of large cities. Hampton Roads is a pretty good area, VA Beach does a great job of keeping its city clean, safe, and family-friendly. The city is very active and has a lot of outdoor activities. You're only 3 hours from DC or the mountains, 3 1/2 to Baltimore, and 6 to Philadelphia; there's really something for everyone here.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,323 times
hello there,

my girlfriend & i live in portland oregon and we are thinking of making the move to the virginia beach area. we are comning out there on december to take a look and see if it may be feasible for us. my girlfriend misses virginia a bit and although portland is spectacular, (and a lot to live up to) we are wanting something new and the hampton roads area looks inviting. i've heard a lot about the traffic, but i lived in los angeles for years so i would imagine that it's just something you get used to. i guess the basic questions are, how is the job market, local economy, etc. also how is the affordability for renting an apartment and still be able to enjoy going out once and a while? any help would be greatly appreciated on any or all of these questions. thank you!

Old 03-27-2007, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,234 times
I moved out this way about a year ago, and I absolutely love it. This area has so much to offer...I'm originially from Minnesota & I lived in Chicago a while....I think Virginia Beach simply has it all, from the woods & wilderness I enjoyed in Minnesota to the big city feel of Chicago... It's all right here.

Does anyone have any more information on the City Walk development mentioned above? I'd like to know who the developer is & just when they're going to start building. It's so neat to see a fledgling city like ours take off from the ground upward, despite most of the locals not seeing it that way.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:29 PM

119 posts, read 401,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine757 View Post
I moved out this way about a year ago, and I absolutely love it. This area has so much to offer...I'm originially from Minnesota & I lived in Chicago a while....I think Virginia Beach simply has it all, from the woods & wilderness I enjoyed in Minnesota to the big city feel of Chicago... It's all right here.

Does anyone have any more information on the City Walk development mentioned above? I'd like to know who the developer is & just when they're going to start building. It's so neat to see a fledgling city like ours take off from the ground upward, despite most of the locals not seeing it that way.
People are afraid of change but there are just as many locals behind it as there are against it. As always though, the ones opposed to something are the most vocal. City Walk is still working on the retail portion of the leasing, the condo market has slowed so i'm not sure how this has affected the rental/condo makeup of the project.

Obviously the info is a bit dated. I wouldn't expect anything to happen on this until late in the year or early 2008.

There are also 2 more office towers planned for Town Center proper. One, which will have a residential component, will go on the current site of the Beacon building. Construction on that will start at the beginning of 2008. Another office tower will be built behind the columbus center after this building is erected.

Some additional information:

[quote name='urbanvb' post='723161' date='Mar 12 2007, 11:37 AM']I inquired as to the location of the new tower from and I was quite surprised. I will paste the response here:

The new tower will be built where the Beacon Building is situated
Construction can only begin once the Beacon has moved which will be
early next year. We expect construction to be underway by mid 2008.
We will also build a high rise office with retail in the large parking
lot (corner Constitution/Columbus). That will follow the beacon Bldg.
In the meantime we will build a 6 storey building, Two Columbus Center,
in the One Columbus Center parking lot, across from Barnes and Noble.
We should start construction of that building later this year.[/quote]

Last edited by vdogg; 03-28-2007 at 03:38 PM..

Old 03-28-2007, 03:35 PM

Oh, and the developer is LM Sandler and Sons. Divaris is handling the real estate leasing. They are combined into the entity Greendale LLC

Old 04-09-2007, 01:01 PM

201 posts, read 810,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nero44 View Post
hello there,

my girlfriend & i live in portland oregon and we are thinking of making the move to the virginia beach area. we are comning out there on december to take a look and see if it may be feasible for us. my girlfriend misses virginia a bit and although portland is spectacular, (and a lot to live up to) we are wanting something new and the hampton roads area looks inviting. i've heard a lot about the traffic, but i lived in los angeles for years so i would imagine that it's just something you get used to. i guess the basic questions are, how is the job market, local economy, etc. also how is the affordability for renting an apartment and still be able to enjoy going out once and a while? any help would be greatly appreciated on any or all of these questions. thank you!

Housing is outrageous, there are no good jobs, the economy is centered around tourism and military/government contracting, and not corporate entities like a real city.

Thats what I think many people on this board fail to mention. Yeah there are some areas with higher priced housing, so what? They also normally have the jobs and corporate based economy that Virginia Beach lacks. Seriously, Id rather be making 65k, and have a 350k house in Chicago, then be making 30k with a 270k house in Virginia Beach.

Summing up Virginia Beach is easy, a wine taste on a beer budget......

Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine757 View Post

Planning for the next office tower at Virginia Beach's Town Center is nearing its final stages. This isn't too good of a rendering but construction should be underway on this tower by the beginning of next year. There is also another office tower in the works.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:45 PM

199 posts, read 621,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp View Post
Where is the Virginia Beach Downtown located?
http://www.virginia.org/site/cities....Virginia+Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area