U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:53 AM

652 posts, read 2,331,159 times

Advertisements

My opinion in all of this is if you like some of it but not the traffic and cost of living move to the penninsula. It is a little better. I grew up in Va. beach and moved to the "other side of the water" about 6 yrs ago and wouldnt move back if you paid me. I get the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 PM

9 posts, read 23,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp View Post
Where is the Virginia Beach Downtown located?
what downtown. VAB does not have a historical downtown.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:11 PM

119 posts, read 402,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner10 View Post
what downtown. VAB does not have a historical downtown.
Historical, no. But we do have a central business district that is starting to take on the characteristics of a traditional downtown. The oceanfront is not really considered downtown by anybody, it's simply a resort area with no business function at all.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:45 PM

97 posts, read 553,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal_Poison View Post
Housing is outrageous, there are no good jobs, ...

Yeah there are some areas with higher priced housing, so what? Seriously, Id rather be making 65k, and have a 350k house in Chicago, then be making 30k with a 270k house in Virginia Beach.

Summing up Virginia Beach is easy, a wine taste on a beer budget......
I couldn't have said it better! I don't even understand how you live in a 270k house on 65k a year... I know b/c thats what I make! I looked @ 180K houses and the market is depressing

People here have no sense of money. Why wouldn't a professional sports team invest in this area if the people here could afford it. Everyone is living out of thier ability.

A realtor told me that the reason the market is the way it is is b/c well off people are buying everything they can get their hands on and renting it, making life hard for everyone else.

Unless you have a 100k salary lined up, I'd personally stay away.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:06 PM

7,735 posts, read 15,725,741 times
pimp

I lived in Virginia Beach for 16 years and I never found it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Many people look at the population of Virginia Beach approaching 500,000 and expect to see a sizeable city. In reality is it just a big sprawling suburb ( a relatively nice one I might add ) of Norfolk, which is where the real downtown is located.

Blessings....Franco

Old 09-06-2007, 12:38 AM

275 posts, read 731,866 times
I've been here 21 out of my 24 years. There is no downtown, per se. There's the Town Center, but I refuse to consider that the downtown, no matter what they try to say. The true downtown is in Norfolk, about a 10-15 drive from the Town Center.

The efforts are nice, but as others said, this area is trying too hard to become a big city. Being a native resident, I've seen this area try to change its look and mentality, and quite honestly, they're trying WAY too hard. They have big city dreams and a small town mentality. The best option would be to combine all seven cities and make one large metropolitan, which would add up to about 1.5 million, and make the area marketable to more business and maybe even pro sports. But the chances are slim to none because the cities can't agree on anything.

The other big problem is that they have all these dreams to become a big city, but they're about 50 years too late. Virginia Beach and neighboring Chesapeake started up in the early-60s, branching from Norfolk in a sense. Quite honestly, Norfolk should've absorbed both cities to make one large city. It would've been a lot easier to market itself IMO.

I like the area I grew up in, but I'm getting frustrated watching them decide whether they want to be a suburb, country town, or big city.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:24 AM

2,032 posts, read 5,720,374 times
Compared to neighboring NC, our cities in this state are not reaching their potential. There should be just one city in the Tidewater region. That way they could pool their income and plan for the future. The most pressing need in my opinion is transportation. Its almost a dirty word in our state house.
I know there was talk about a light rail system in Tidewater but I haven't heard anything recently. I also think businesses are turned off by all of the bickering we have in VA with the independent city/county mess. Anyway, I am glad VB is starting some sort of "downtown". I think it will become a focal point for even more development in the future. Congratulations!!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:05 PM

275 posts, read 731,866 times
The light rail issue made it all the way to the referendum c. 1998 or 99. It was shot down because those near the oceanfront said they didn't want crime coming in from other parts. (It would've ran from downtown Norfolk to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront)

They're trying again, and it should open around 2009, but I don't know how far they plan to stretch it, i.e. the routes.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:47 PM

8,322 posts, read 12,515,002 times
Ok... so I looked at the "real" picture on the first page.. yanno, the aerial view one.. and I can see my friend's house... and up near the top, I can see my apt complex

That's kinda cool...

But, currently, the "downtown" isn't on any map I know of...

Old 09-07-2007, 10:27 PM

1,659 posts, read 5,250,446 times
Well, again its not a true downtown per se and moreso just a town center as the name implies - one which happens to be in the middle of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area