U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 03:40 PM

23 posts, read 118,852 times

Advertisements

Where is the Virginia Beach Downtown located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2006, 02:36 AM

5 posts, read 59,540 times
LMAO,

Is this a trick question Pimp ???

Old 03-29-2006, 09:24 AM

23 posts, read 118,852 times
Umm...no...like where is it located? south, north, etc? When i look at a map where it has that dot for virginia beach, that is supposed to be the downtown, right?, but when i drive there, all i see is subdivisions.

Old 04-02-2006, 05:29 AM

1 posts, read 17,329 times
The 'downtown' used to be thought of as the ocean front, where the hotels are on Atlantic Ave. But now it has been formally designated to be the Pembroke Mall area. It's center is at the intersection of Virginia Beach Blvd. and Independence. You can reach it by taking 264, exiting north onto Independence, and then turning right onto Virginia Beach Blvd. which puts you in the heart of the downtown area. The most notable feature is the Cheesecake Factory on the right there at street level.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:02 PM

119 posts, read 401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp
Where is the Virginia Beach Downtown located?
LOL, they're building it actually. But here are some pics to help familiarize with the area. Mods-if the pics are too large just let me know and I can downsize them.

The downtown area is fledgling but growing. The builings in the foreground haven't been built yet but they are going to start construction later this year. The project will be called city walk.

I have been to downtown (actually called "Town Center") and it is an absolutely wonderful place. If you get the chance I recommend you visit.

Last edited by vdogg; 05-17-2006 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-04-2006, 06:17 PM

68 posts, read 504,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdogg
LOL, they're building it actually. But here are some pics to help familiarize with the area. Mods-if the pics are too large just let me know and I can downsize them.

The downtown area is fledgling but growing. The builings in the foreground haven't been built yet but they are going to start construction later this year. The project will be called city walk.

I have been to downtown (actually called "Town Center") and it is an absolutely wonderful place. If you get the chance I recommend you visit.
Hi,
I was wondering how you like living in the VB area??? My husband & I are serioudly considering moving anywhere from the Norfolk to VB area once we graduate. Thanks!

quoted images removed

Last edited by Yac; 06-05-2006 at 01:13 AM..

Old 06-08-2006, 07:59 PM

119 posts, read 401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylilkelly
Hi,
I was wondering how you like living in the VB area??? My husband & I are serioudly considering moving anywhere from the Norfolk to VB area once we graduate. Thanks!

quoted images removed
As with all areas it has it's ups and downs. Traffic at times can be a nightmare but I think that problem is exaggerated, the D.C. area still puts us to shame in that department. Cost of living is really becoming an issue around here. It's about as high as D.C. but we don't have the wages down here to compensate like they do up there. This is a military and tourist town but the economy, as well as the atmosphere, is shifting to be more diversified and cosmopolitan. I absolutely love living near the beach. We have relatively mild winters and hot summers. There are lots of things to do if you know where to look. All and all I like it here but as I said, it does have its issues.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:33 PM

3 posts, read 27,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdogg
As with all areas it has it's ups and downs. Traffic at times can be a nightmare but I think that problem is exaggerated, the D.C. area still puts us to shame in that department. Cost of living is really becoming an issue around here. It's about as high as D.C. but we don't have the wages down here to compensate like they do up there. This is a military and tourist town but the economy, as well as the atmosphere, is shifting to be more diversified and cosmopolitan. I absolutely love living near the beach. We have relatively mild winters and hot summers. There are lots of things to do if you know where to look. All and all I like it here but as I said, it does have its issues.
I'm also thinking of moving to Va Bch in the relatively near future. Do you (or anyone here) know of any decent, but not overly expensive apartments or rental housing? I've been reading the typical link removed type sites looking for places in my price range that aren't too far out from the beach, but you can never tell about a neighborhood by the marketing spin the apartment people put on the write up.

I mean-- where I live now-- it looked great on paper but the apt. guide and "property tour" didn't tell me about paper-thin walls, loud traffic, disrespectful kids and sewer lines that back up if the wind blows wrong.

So-- any insider tips?

I'd also like to know who are some of the "big" employers in the area.

THANKS!

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2006 at 05:44 PM..

Old 06-26-2006, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 21,013 times
Amazing, they cut down the last stand of old growth hardwood trees to put up the ugliest group of buildings on the eastern seaboard. Especially vulgar since the area is surrounded by empty big box stores and abandoned parking lots. It is sad to see greed and lack of vision has once again triumphed in VAB.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:53 PM

8 posts, read 32,406 times
I've lived here for about 2 years, and if you're looking for affordable apartments, well, I used to live close to Chicks Beach, there are some appartments there that are pretty cheap, I used to live at Windsong Appts. and that area is pretty quiet and it was nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area