U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 12:13 AM

3 posts, read 11,024 times

Advertisements

First off, I know there have been previous post asking about their speeding tickets, but none seem to pertain to exactly what I'm asking or are pretty out dated.

A few weeks ago I got a ticket at 2am for 76/60 on 58 in Suffolk. I really can't afford the insurance cost increase (if any) and really don't want to pay 150-160 dollars for the ticket. If I have to pay for the ticket I will, but I'd rather not so I am going to show up for the court date. I have taken a defensive driving course and got a copy of my perfect driving record from DMV hoping this will be enough to at least get the point deduction dropped.

This being my first ticket ever, I am not really sure how the process goes in court, which is why I am posting.

Generally, how is the Suffolk traffic court? Is the judge/magistrate or whoever is there rude? Will I have a chance to explain my story (not that I have one other than the fact that it was 2am and I was driving the same speed as the other few cars around me)?

I at least want to tell the judge I am a careful driver and use my record and defensive driving course as some proof. I'm just afraid that as soon as I walk up they're going to ask if I am guilty and not give me a chance to talk (in which I will probably plea no contest even though I'd rather not drag this on).

And how should I dress? I don't want to over-do it but I was just planning on wearing a collared button-down, tie, and nice pants and shoes. Also, I am a 20 year old male, if that matters.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:13 PM

18 posts, read 45,778 times
Go to court...my husband got a 72 in a 55 and I told him to go to court. He had a 5+ driving record and the judge dropped it to 9 over...we paid it and happily so.

Dress nice...most of the police officers in court will be in suits and ties. Be respectful and promise to slow down. My husband also got his Suffolk ticket in the early 1am morning driving home from work.

Last edited by DawnYurkas; 04-25-2011 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 AM

203 posts, read 386,068 times
No excuses, no reason other than you made a mistake. Take responsibility for your mistake. Then bring up the perfect record and driving school. Dress nicely. I'd wear a tie at least. Don't chew gum. Stand up straight and be respectful to the judge. Yes your honor, no your honor. I'm sorry your honor. Etc.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 11,024 times
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the help.

I pretty much figured dressing up and being respectful was a given, I just wasn't so sure about Suffolk. I've read some courts that see a lot of blue-collar type people in them look at dressing up as saying someone "has money".

I'm also afraid of getting eaten alive by the judge. This being my first time in court other than when I got my license I don't know what to expect. I've heard mixed things on Suffolk's courts, but then you never know if the people who have had the negative experiences were disrespectful.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:43 AM

203 posts, read 386,068 times
I've seen people show up in short and flip flops. Most judges will send them home. I've seen people with gum, chewing with their mouth wide open and just being completely disrespectful. You'd be amazed at what you'll see. One of the biggest arguments and displays of poor court demeanor was by a man fighting a $15 parking ticket. He ended up in jail for contempt of court.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 5,282 times
My son got his first ticket last week here in Suffolk. He was ticketed for 41 in 25. The speed limit where he was goes from 35-25-35. It's a very small area. He's a 22 year old college student and was very disappointed. He attend college out of state and of course home for the holidays. What can be done so that he won't have to miss his classes and clean his driving record? Is there any way to fix this other that going to court. I know he can pay the ticket via mail or internet but he doesn't want it on his record... Help.....

Old 12-28-2013, 05:44 PM

82 posts, read 90,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Boone View Post
My son got his first ticket last week here in Suffolk. He was ticketed for 41 in 25. The speed limit where he was goes from 35-25-35. It's a very small area. He's a 22 year old college student and was very disappointed. He attend college out of state and of course home for the holidays. What can be done so that he won't have to miss his classes and clean his driving record? Is there any way to fix this other that going to court. I know he can pay the ticket via mail or internet but he doesn't want it on his record... Help....
Your son was driving 16 mph over the speed limit. In Virginia anything above 15 mph and/or exceeding 80 mph is Reckless Driving. Reckless Driving is a notorious charge in VA and is pretty common. It's a class 1 misdemeanor which is on par with a DUI. 6 points on his license. It'll stay on his record for 11 years.

This is going to come up on every single job interview he goes for because he will now have a misdemeanor on his record. It will come up on his background checks as well. It's not something that's going to go away. It's not as simple as paying it and going about your way.

Get a lawyer fast. He can go to court but a good lawyer will be able to bargain down to a lesser charge and he'll probably have to take a defensive driving course at the courts discretion. So he'll need to pay your ticket, the court fees, and the lawyer fees. He can go himself but you don't want to take that risk.

In court: Have him dress nice. Be humble. Apologize for his actions. Be honest. If he has have a clean record....get a certified copy of his driving history for the judge. Good luck.

Edit: RD is usually a mandatory in court appearance. If he has an option he might have gotten lucky...the cop may ahve cut him a serious break and just given him general speeding. The office has the discretion to do that. What exactly did the officer write on the ticket?

Old 12-28-2013, 05:47 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times
Actually it's 20 over not 15. Just pay the ticket and move on.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:53 PM

82 posts, read 90,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Actually it's 20 over not 15. Just pay the ticket and move on.
Are you sure? Could have swore it was 15.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:10 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZER0 View Post
Are you sure? Could have swore it was 15.
Yes I'm sure. Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area