U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 10,408 times

Advertisements

Frequently Asked Questions About Parking in Virginia Beach, VA

Who Do I Call if I have a question about
Interesting Facts
Questions on Parking
Traffic Safety Questions

Questions on Parking

Many medium to large sized cities experience parking limitations, especially in older neighborhoods. Virginia Beach, Virginia is no exception and parking can be a problem, especially in older neighborhoods and residential areas of the city. Many of the older sections of the city were developed long before every family owned two, three or more automobiles and this can become a concern. Many of the streets in residential areas are narrow and some steep which compound parking problems. Commercial areas and schools being located next to residences can also create friction for parking between neighbors and those from outside the area. Parking concerns are the number one call generator that our department receives and there are usually very few good answers that will satisfy all of the neighbors or individuals when we receive them.
Listed is a series of concerns, comments and questions about parking.

People park in my parking area in front of my house.
There is no such thing as private parking in front of any persons home in a residential area in Virginia Beach. Parking is on a first come, first served basis. The street is open to the public and anybody may park along a residential street unless posted otherwise.

People park too close to my driveway. What can I do about this?
The city code states that a vehicle is not allowed to park within five feet of the end of return (where your driveway flare ends and matches up to the city street). We encourage homeowners to paint five feet of the curb yellow (traffic yellow) on each side of their driveway to minimize these problems. Check with your local paint supplier for the proper color yellow.

My street is too narrow for parking on both sides if an emergency vehicle such as a fire truck needed to come up my street. What should I do?
First, contact our office so we can also look at the situation. Next, talk with your neighbors and see if there would be some consensus in removing parking from one side of the street or the other. Last, get a petition form from us and have the neighbors sign it. In extreme cases we will advise the fire department of your situation and have them attempt driving the street with fire equipment. If they find the street too narrow with parking on both sides of the street, they may make an immediate request for parking removal.

My neighbors would like to see parking removed from one side of the street due to the inconveniences to the mail boxes, parking too close to driveways, having parked vehicles opposite of my driveway or for other reasons. What must I do to get parking removed from one side of the street?
The first thing you will want to do in this situation is talk with your neighbors. These decisions must come from the neighborhood and then be brought to our attention. You must file a petition with our department with 2/3 of the neighbors in favor of this request(one vote per household). See our hyperlink to print out a petition form.

I would like a handicapped parking place in front of my house. What must I do?
The City of Virginia Beach does not install handicapped parking signs in front of homes in residential areas. Even if a handicapped parking sign were installed in front of a residence it does not guarantee the parking spot for any one individual. At this time there is nothing in the city code that allows for this and we do not expect anything to go into the city code to allow this.

I drive a truck home from work. May I park my truck on the street in front of my residence at night?
No. Trucks driven home at night can only be parked on private property off the city streets.

My neighbor has a lot of kids and a lot of vehicles and takes all the parking spaces on the street. What can I do about this
As mentioned above, the street is open to public parking and can be used by whoever gets there first. However, the vehicles must be operational, licensed and moved every 24 hours. Talk with your neighbor and see if there is available parking in driveways or parking areas. Find additional parking for your own vehicles if necessary. There are many storage yards and rental facilities in Virginia Beach that store vehicles, boats, etc.

May I park between the sidewalk and the street curb?
No.

May I park in front of my own driveway?
No. The police do not know who is parking in front of a driveway and it is just as illegal for the property owner to park in front of a driveway as anyone else.

May I park in an alley?
No.

May I park in the sidewalk portion of my driveway?
No. Also remember to be courteous to pedestrians who may have to walk through the area where vehicles will be parked.

May I create a parking area between the sidewalk and curb from concrete or gravel?
No. The driveway, your garage, parking lots and the street are the only allowable parking areas.

Listed are some things to consider about parking.

When looking at homes, make sure the parking is adequate for your needs.
Consider outside impacts to parking such as schools, businesses, churches, etc.
Be considerate to your neighbors by minimizing the number of vehicles you park along the street.
Streets were never designed to be parking lots. Streets are built to facilitate traffic flow.
If you have a concern, talk with your neighbors. Many times they will help when they become aware of a problem.
Call our department if you have problems which cannot be resolved in your neighborhood
Remember that not all parking problems can be resolved

Last edited by Road Warier; 05-04-2011 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 19,734 times
Does the parking situation for trucks the same for school buses?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:03 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,354,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgriffin View Post
Does the parking situation for trucks the same for school buses?
That's a good question, but because they belong to the city, I think we'll lose that one.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 19,734 times
Thank you. That's what I thought. I'm having a problem with someone stating I'm breaking a parking violation parking on the curb in front of a wooded lot.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:32 PM

239 posts, read 387,071 times
We are planning on coming down the first week in February. We will have a car trailer with us. A lot of the hotels that I am calling do not have a large enough parking lot to accomodate our truck and trailer. Does anyone know of any hotels that have larger parking lots or any municipal lots that we can park in overnight? Thanks!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:10 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,354,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraig10 View Post
We are planning on coming down the first week in February. We will have a car trailer with us. A lot of the hotels that I am calling do not have a large enough parking lot to accomodate our truck and trailer. Does anyone know of any hotels that have larger parking lots or any municipal lots that we can park in overnight? Thanks!
Depends on where you want to stay. This area also accommodates out of town contractors and they don't seem to have a problem. Usually the Marriotts or Ramada's are pretty good. Exactly where do you want to stay?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 9,407 times
Default parking in neighborhood without curbs?

I am trying to find the laws (if they exist) about parking in a residential neighborhood in Virginia Beach that does not have curbs? I am on our neighborhood civic league and have been asked to write an article for our newsletter and include this information. I can't find it anywhere? I have been told that all four tires must be off the road, but can't confirm this. Thanks for any help!

Old 10-04-2014, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,862 times
My neighbor in the 23464 area, has a food wagon (Roach Coach) parked on his front driveway. Is this legal?

Old 08-17-2017, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 116 times
I live in an older neighborhood and the streets are narrow my neighbor guest parks on there side of the street but blocks my driveway which makes it hard for me back out of my driveway. Is this legal or illegal and is it a ticket offense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: