U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:20 PM

136 posts, read 695,249 times

Advertisements

I am currently a HS Senior looking around at different schools. Through some searches and discussion I have discovered Hampton University as a possible college to consider. I am interested in attending as a Broadcast journalism major. I am from the Jersey shore, NJ. I've been here basically my whole life.

So I am curious to get some information about the area. Can anyone comment on what there would be to do for somebody who wouldn't go home on weekends obviously. Is it a decently lively area with stuff to do? Or would I find myself bored? It looks good on paper. But I am just curious to get some information from people who know the area before I plan a trip down there to look for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 PM

173 posts, read 580,776 times
If I were you, I would find some current HU students and talk directly to them since they are of the same age/mindset that you are and would give you a better idea of what it is like. I'm pretty sure you can find them on myspace easily!

But now that I think about it...I may have a contact for you. PM me and I'll work on getting an email address for you...and he pretty much runs HU's radio station...lol

Old 08-07-2007, 01:14 PM

59 posts, read 431,602 times
Default Hampton

Hi Joe,
I moved from NY a while ago and I know this area pretty well now, Hampt U area is cool. They have done alot of upgrading and renovating of that area because Lamberts Point used to be wild like Brooklyn a few years back. The now have a nice mix of people from all over and they will soon have a Light rail (small train shuttle) over there as well. These are crazy fast food places (you must have pizza from Del Vecchios) clubs, and alot of apartments and condo that rent to students. You will like it. The school is vrey high tech and nice and this area thrives on new graduates from Hampton and Norfolk State, since they are big contributors to the area. Good Luck!

Old 08-10-2007, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate hearing it. Your feedback on how lively the area seems.. is encouraging. It makes the college sound very appealing. Especially from somebody who is from NY.

I really do appreciate the input! I think I am going to head down this fall as I narrow down my list.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:17 PM

By the way, can anyone recommend hotels in the area? I learned my lesson last college I visited. Try to get recommendations on hotels ahead of time! I am trying to map out my college visits for the fall now.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:57 PM

275 posts, read 762,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojoe315 View Post
By the way, can anyone recommend hotels in the area? I learned my lesson last college I visited. Try to get recommendations on hotels ahead of time! I am trying to map out my college visits for the fall now.
Hey Radiojoe315, HU broadcast journalism grad here. There's several hotels on Mercury Blvd. Off the top of my head, there's about three or four within about two miles of the campus, not to mention a Radisson that overlooks the campus. The Hampton area is very easy to get around and there's always more than one way somewhere, and it's not difficult to bum a ride off of someone...just offer them gas money or buy them food.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:31 PM

^ TV Pirate.. can you dwell any on being a broadcast journalism major any and the programs?

Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
^ TV Pirate.. can you dwell any on being a broadcast journalism major any and the programs?
It's been a couple of years, and I hear they switched up the program. When I was there, there was a very heavy focus on news, news, news. But from what I heard, they made it more general broadcasting, to where the students produced their own documentaries, and I believe music videos.

We went through a lot so that the broadcast majors could have it so much easier lol...

Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
It's been a couple of years, and I hear they switched up the program. When I was there, there was a very heavy focus on news, news, news. But from what I heard, they made it more general broadcasting, to where the students produced their own documentaries, and I believe music videos.

We went through a lot so that the broadcast majors could have it so much easier lol...
It's none of my business, but has that degree been helpful in the job market for you?

I have heard from many that focusing on news is critical as well as learning the production aspect. But knowing how to write is a must. And it makes sense.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
It's none of my business, but has that degree been helpful in the job market for you?
Yeah, it has. I was able to get a job at one of the local news stations right after graduation. HU wasn't lying when they said they have a high job placement.

Don't know if they do it now, but they usually have a journalism symposium in the springtime, where media companies come and speak to students, both in the auditorium, and one-on-one. It's an excellent marketing opportunity, and if they still do the symposium, I suggest networking with anyone and everyone.

Same for the fall/spring career fairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or