U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,288 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
Me and my family are moving to Norfolk in July and while we want to live in Navy Housing we also want to have a plan B! I was wondering if anybody can give my any advice about areas to live around ODU? We were looking around and saw a house that looks right up our alley, it is right off Granby on 35th St. Does anyone know if that is a good area? If anyone can give me zip codes that are nice to live in with children that are school age that would also be great
TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:18 AM

26 posts, read 97,932 times
Ghent is a nice area though very expensive. If you're in the Navy then your BHA will help out. Norfolk is a weird city. There are really nice parts side by side with really rough areas with very little barriers. The area right next to Ghent and ODU is Parkplace, a pretty low income neighborhood. I went to ODU and we received weekly safety reports about students and locals being assaulted and mugged near campus.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,288 times
Thanks for your reply

Does anyone know anything about these areas, Norvella Ave or Foxdale Drive in Norfolk? We are still unsure if we are gonna get Navy housing, by chance anyone know about Ben Morrell? That is the Navy housing they tell us has the least amount of wait time. This wait(we want be in Norfolk until mid July) to move is killing us because we don't know were we are gonna live yet and we need to find something fairly quick once we get there because we really don't want our kids to miss any school.

We have a love/hate relationship with moving LOL

Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 AM

10 posts, read 26,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirl80 View Post
Thanks for your reply

Does anyone know anything about these areas, Norvella Ave or Foxdale Drive in Norfolk? We are still unsure if we are gonna get Navy housing, by chance anyone know about Ben Morrell? That is the Navy housing they tell us has the least amount of wait time. This wait(we want be in Norfolk until mid July) to move is killing us because we don't know were we are gonna live yet and we need to find something fairly quick once we get there because we really don't want our kids to miss any school.

We have a love/hate relationship with moving LOL

Norvella Avenue is a lower middle class neighborhood. It used to be pretty solid but the older folks died out and it has decayed. Some drugs, but mostly okay. Myself, I find the area to be slightly depressing.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 AM

10 posts, read 26,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
Ghent is a nice area though very expensive. If you're in the Navy then your BHA will help out. Norfolk is a weird city. There are really nice parts side by side with really rough areas with very little barriers. The area right next to Ghent and ODU is Parkplace, a pretty low income neighborhood. I went to ODU and we received weekly safety reports about students and locals being assaulted and mugged near campus.

The nicest place my family ever lived in Norfolk was in the condos at the end of Rader Street in the late 80s. If I had to do it over again, I'd still go for Condo living in Norfolk.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,420 times
My wife and I just moved out here for the Navy as well. We're in an apartment complex situated nicely about halfway between downtown Norfolk and the Naval Station. I don't know if you're set on a house vs. an apartment, but where we're at has been great for us. However, we did a fair amount of research on a bunch of local apartments/areas. It seems like if you don't mind the drive/traffic, VA Beach can be pretty nice. As far as Norfolk itself, Ghent is the nicest/costliest. I could tell you more about our particular place or anything else we learned if you'd like. Good luck, shipmate.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:53 PM

31 posts, read 47,612 times
I live in the neighborhood of Larchmomt, just north of ODU (zip is 23508) It's a great area and is very conveniently located. Kids in Larchmont go to Larchmont Elementary which is a fantastic school. The neighborhood can be pricey, however....I'm not sure what your budget is. As another poster said, Norfolk can be tricky with very nice neighborhoods next to some not so greet ones. I drive by the Ben Moreel housing area every day. The units were built about 15 years ago. They are townhouse style. Compared to the base housing I grew up in, they look pretty nice (from the outside, at least) but I imagine they might be getting a little dated on the inside. The location is extremely convenient to base and I believe the school is Sewell's Point Elementary. Good luck with your search!

Old 01-26-2013, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,328 times
Hi,
My husband, myself and our five month old son are pcsing to Norfolk, Virginia in two months. Not sure if you are still around on here but we would like to know about your area. Researching areas to live in is doing our heads in. We are Navy and know housing is at least a year long wait so we are looking at renting. Good sized apartments are our focus point at the moment within a nice area (nice being safe and some local amenities to do things with our son).
Your input would be much appreciated.

Jaq

Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 PM

93 posts, read 120,791 times
The Larchmont area is nice and convenient to the base. However, it is pretty much single family homes that are pretty expensive and some luxury condos. There are some older apartments around there, but I wouldn't think they would be appropriate for a family. The Ghent area would be convenient as well. Maybe you should contact a realtor that may have some rental properties or at least may specialize in the areas close to the base. Ghent Village apartments on Westover would be a decent area. My personal opinion would be to stay away from anything to close to West Little Creek Road.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM

275 posts, read 762,626 times
I'm in Ghent now, and it's a pretty nice area. Walkable, close to downtown, and good (local) restaurants nearby. You're looking at about a minimum of $750 or 800 for a 2 BR, and it can go all the way to $1,200+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area