U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,222,866 times

Advertisements

Out of curiousity, where are the corners for "independent women soliciting services," on an hourly rate or per service. LOL (No, not looking but I know these areas are nasty and need to stay clear of.
Is there specific streets that you need to wear bullet proof vests? Definitely have bars on the windows?
Where are most of the pan handlers?
Where are the homeless?

I haven't seen any of this and I know it must exist. I take that back, I see the news broadcasting shootings all the time but have yet to drive into or past a neighborhood that gives me goosebumps.

Is there a big problem with teen runaways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 05:44 PM

5,581 posts, read 7,733,712 times
I would avoid any street with a number in Newport News south of Mercury Blvd.

In VAB I have yet to be in an area that I do not feel safe at after dark, yes I've been in Twin Canal, not that I would live in every area, but I've never felt unsafe. There was a homeless camp that you could see from 264 heading away from the strip, but I think the city may have gotten rid of it. I've seen homeless people near waterside, but they may be gone now that they moved the Union Mission.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 PM

57 posts, read 189,097 times
As far as Virginia Beach, it's very safe, in general.

After dark, avoid the Green Run area and Virginia Beach Boulevard from First Colonial to the Oceanfront, esp. around intersection of Birdneck and the Boulevard.

There is no active, street corner type prostitution in the city that I am aware of.

Homeless, panhandlers, etc. are another story. Prior to 2009, I never saw any. Now they are everywhere. People come up to me almost daily in parking lots and ask for money. People with signs are everywhere. I don't know if this is because times have gotten harder here for certain people, or if people have come here from other places to beg, since we live in a relatively prosperous city compared to the rest of the nation right now.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,218,977 times
Avoid:
Numbered streets in Newport News
College Park, Green Run, Lake Edward (or really, anywhere between Virginia Beach Blvd and Wesleyan Drive) areas of Virginia Beach
Church Street and Oceanview in Norfolk
Hampton south of Mercury Blvd

Biggest panhandling places I've seen are:
I-264 exit to Newtown
I-264 exit to Rosemont
I-264 exit to Lynnhaven (relatively new "hotspot" for panhandling)
I-64 entrance at 4th View

Old 06-21-2011, 10:15 AM

492 posts, read 831,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Avoid:
Numbered streets in Newport News
College Park, Green Run, Lake Edward (or really, anywhere between Virginia Beach Blvd and Wesleyan Drive) areas of Virginia Beach
Church Street and Oceanview in Norfolk
Hampton south of Mercury Blvd

Biggest panhandling places I've seen are:
I-264 exit to Newtown
I-264 exit to Rosemont
I-264 exit to Lynnhaven (relatively new "hotspot" for panhandling)
I-64 entrance at 4th View
So what youre actually saying is avoid the places with the highest concentration of black people correct?

None of those places that I have bolded in your post need to be "AVOIDED". Thats a little extreme. Where in the world are you people from.. Mayberry?

Heres a bit of advice: Be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
So what youre actually saying is avoid the places with the highest concentration of black people correct?
Aside from the Hasty Generalization and Strawman fallacies, you might also seem to be touching on the Confusing Cause and Effect fallacy. Possibly also Poisoning the Well (the "omigod you're racist" implication).

But in the world of reality, it has nothing to do with the concentration of black, brown, yellow, green, orange, or even pink people. Has everything to do with the concentration of violent crimes.

Or were you trying to say that an area with a higher-than-normal level of crime is synonymous with a high concentration of black people?

Quote:
None of those places that I have bolded in your post need to be "AVOIDED". Thats a little extreme.
I've lived in several of those locations back when I was strapped for cash and needed a place to sleep. Never again. Heck, in College Park, my apartment building was hit by a stolen vehicle driven by my neighbor who was running from the cops because of drugs. That was a fun night.

Could probably add "area around ODU" to the list - considering the number of robberies and break-ins have been occurring lately.

I have no problems driving through those areas (if needed), I just won't spend considerable time there. And if you search up these areas on CD or on Google, you'll find that many people agree that these areas are not the safest.

Quote:
Where in the world are you people from.. Mayberry?
Hampton Roads.

Quote:
Heres a bit of advice: Be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are.
Perfect advice.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:01 PM

492 posts, read 831,210 times
Quote:
Aside from the Hasty Generalization and Strawman fallacies, you might also seem to be touching on the Confusing Cause and Effect fallacy. Possibly also Poisoning the Well (the "omigod you're racist" implication).

But in the world of reality, it has nothing to do with the concentration of black, brown, yellow, green, orange, or even pink people. Has everything to do with the concentration of violent crimes.

Or were you trying to say that an area with a higher-than-normal level of crime is synonymous with a high concentration of black people?

I've lived in several of those locations back when I was strapped for cash and needed a place to sleep. Never again. Heck, in College Park, my apartment building was hit by a stolen vehicle driven by my neighbor who was running from the cops because of drugs. That was a fun night.

Could probably add "area around ODU" to the list - considering the number of robberies and break-ins have been occurring lately.

I have no problems driving through those areas (if needed), I just won't spend considerable time there. And if you search up these areas on CD or on Google, you'll find that many people agree that these areas are not the safest.

Hampton Roads.

Perfect advice.
The word racist or racism was never mentioned or implied in my post. I asked a simple question did I not? Maybe the topic of race makes you uncomfortable. Im just more of a direct person and prefer people to 'tell it like it is', forget all the PC crap.

So once again, all of the places you mentioned under 'Avoid' tend to have high concentrations of which ethnicity?

I have lived in the places you had mentioned prior just as you have and I stand by what I said earlier in that you were a little extreme in saying to 'avoid' these places. You even just stated that you have no problem driving through those areas if need. That is a far cry from 'avoid' which you posted earlier. I currently live over by Wesleyan Dr and Diamond Springs road. Its a real nice area.

Oh and it is quite evident that you are indeed from Hampton Roads, trust me.

Edit: Although I quoted you in my previous post, my post was not directed entirely at you per say. My post was actually addressing the whole notion of 'Avoid' and all who used the term, which is a little over the top in my book.

Last edited by VA7cities; 06-21-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
The word racist or racism was never mentioned or implied in my post. I asked a simple question did I not?
So bringing race into a discussion that has nothing to do with race and accusing somebody of "actually" saying something racist... isn't implying racism?

Quote:
Maybe the topic of race makes you uncomfortable. Im just more of a direct person and prefer people to 'tell it like it is', forget all the PC crap.
Nah. If I wanted to say "Avoid black people lolololol", I would have come right out and said "Avoid black people lolololol". Thing is, black people aren't a problem and shouldn't be avoided. Crime is.

There are plenty of neighborhoods in HR where there are "high concentrations of black people" that do not have higher-than-normal concentrations of crime. My old neighborhoods up at the norther end of Newport News come to mind. Predominantly black, little-to-no crime.

Quote:
So once again, all of the places you mentioned under 'Avoid' tend to have high concentrations of...?
Crime

You and I are merely looking at two different statistics. I'm looking at crime; you're looking at the percentage of black people. It just happens that in the areas mentioned, both are high. Correlating the two would mean falling prey to the fallacy known as Confusing Cause and Effect.

Quote:
I have lived in the places you had mentioned prior just as you have and I stand by what I said earlier in that you were a little extreme in saying to 'avoid' these places. You even just stated that you have no problem driving through those areas if need. That is a far cry from 'avoid' which you posted earlier.
Perhaps I should have been more specific to say "Avoid staying in these places for long periods of time".

Quote:
I currently live over by Wesleyan Dr and Diamond Springs road. Its a real nice area.
Right about Wesleyan Drive is where the crime maps taper off as far as crime concentration goes (it picks up a bit on the outskirts of the college... same as ODU), so I don't doubt it's a nice area in the area you live in. I'm more specifically talking about the Lake Edwards community, Newpointe Condos, and the immediate surrounding area of those two.

Quote:
Edit: Although I quoted you in my previous post, my post was not directed entirely at you per say. My post was actually addressing the whole notion of 'Avoid' and all who used the term, which is a little over the top in my book.
Like I specified, my "avoid" list is more of a "avoid staying for long times".

AFAIK, there's no place in HR where just driving through a neighborhood will get you killed/mugged/shot/etc. Sure, you may get funny looks from people who don't recognize your vehicle, but that's about it.

Even then, the concept of people recognizing that a specific vehicle does not normally traverse a neighborhood is a good thing.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:51 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,637,654 times
Quote:
The word racist or racism was never mentioned or implied in my post. I asked a simple question did I not? Maybe the topic of race makes you uncomfortable. Im just more of a direct person and prefer people to 'tell it like it is', forget all the PC crap.

Yes, yes it was. It was not a simple question, it was a loaded question.

Just calling it as I see it...

Old 06-22-2011, 02:15 PM

22 posts, read 70,224 times
Quote:
Avoid:
Lake Edward (or really, anywhere between Virginia Beach Blvd and Wesleyan Drive) areas of Virginia Beach
Ironically, the Norfolk neighborhoods in this area (Hollywood, Maple Hall, Fairlawn, Admirality Acres), are all decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or