Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 01:24 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times

Advertisements

Has anyone eaten at this HUGE restaurant on Virginia Beach Blvd?
If so, what did you think about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 04:31 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Funny you should mention this now! I went in last night, got on the waiting list, walked around and looked at the buffet, then, after waiting a while longer, had to leave. There were WAAAAY too many people in there and after watching for a while I was too grossed out.

The food didn't look bad, typical run of the mill Chinese, and for the price it's hard to beat it, but the place is too big and there were too many people up at the buffet putting their hands all over everything.

If the restaurant were to be sectioned off better with more screening it would probably be better. Seeing everyone in just one big room like that really turned me off and made me think of a trough at feeding time!

I would try again if it were half to a fourth as crowded as it was last night.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:28 PM

We've been there several times prior to last night. Never again on a Sunday evening.

We went last night and we were early enough not to have to get on a waiting list, but within 20 minutes, there was a crowd of people at the door, waiting to be seated. My husband and I looked around and there wasn't an empty table in sight.

The buffet table (the boat) with the salad bar and dessert/fruits was a mess. That beautiful wood was smeared with handprints, food bits and more. For the first time, both my husband and I were jostled about as we tried to serve our plates. After we began eating, a large man tried to cut through the small space between tables. His thigh caught the corner of our table and he nearly knocked the whole thing over and the food into our laps.

A little while later, a lady was going to her table with a plate of food. I guess she didn't want to walk around one of the posts in the dining areas (which might have meant taking six additional steps) so she tried to get through the area between the post and our table. She shoved one of the waitresses in order to get by, and the poor waitress nearly fell into the back of my husband just to keep from falling on the floor.

I've never seen it like it was last night. I've read that they have the capacity to seat 3,000 people. Maybe they should explore cutting that back to 2,500 for a start. That might make a little more room between the tables so they're not on top of one another. Our table was so close to the one next to it that I could read the watch of one of the men at the next table. Now that's too close.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:26 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Happy Buffet is pretty good and decently priced. It's on Lynnhaven by Chick Fil-A

Old 08-02-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Happy Buffet is pretty good and decently priced. It's on Lynnhaven by Chick Fil-A
Interesting fact -- I read in the paper that Happy Buffet is owned by Dave Huang. He is Sam Huang's brother. Sam Huang is the man who recently opened Hibachi Grill and Supreme Buffet. Sam Huang also owns Yukai Restaurant in Virginia Beach and a couple of other buffet restaurants. I just can't remember their names right now.
Their father was in the restaurant business and they have an uncle who is also in the restaurant business.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Interesting fact -- I read in the paper that Happy Buffet is owned by Dave Huang. He is Sam Huang's brother. Sam Huang is the man who recently opened Hibachi Grill and Supreme Buffet. Sam Huang also owns Yukai Restaurant in Virginia Beach and a couple of other buffet restaurants. I just can't remember their names right now.
Their father was in the restaurant business and they have an uncle who is also in the restaurant business.
Lots of families are like that. We had them all over the country when my uncles were alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area