U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 AM

12 posts, read 5,200 times

Advertisements

My family vacationed at east ocean view in the late 70's & early 80's. I see comments about how rundown the area was then. I was a child so I can't comment about how good or bad the area was. To my 8 year old mind, the place was paradise.

I haven't been back since around 1983. From the pictures I've seen, the area has changed a great deal. We used to stay at motel called the Beachcomber. It was on 2090 East Ocean View Avenue. It wasn't the classiest place to stay but it was inexpensive & right on the beach. I remember leaving our room & walking straight down to the beach each day. That motel is gone from what I've seen. The beach as I remember it had problem with jellyfish. I'd dig in the sand & they were everywhere. Might've been better the last time I visited in the 80's. Maybe not the biggest or cleanest beach but it was enough for me. Such fond memories. I remember being on a ride at an amusement park & the place was deserted. This was in 78 I believe. That's the only gloomy memory I have of the area. I was the only about the only kid there. The ride was really rickety with very few lights. The Pembrooke mall was the first mall I ever visited. I remember getting some stuff related to the "new" Superman film. We ate at a fast food joint called the Golden Skillet. Not sure if it's still around.

I'd love to visit again one day. It might not have been the most glamorous beach but I loved it as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 11:42 AM

1,003 posts, read 570,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewvguy View Post
family vacationed at east ocean view in the late 70's & early 80's. I remember being on a ride at an amusement park & the place was deserted. We ate at a fast food joint called the Golden Skillet. Not sure if it's still around.

It might not have been the most glamorous beach but I loved it as a kid.
WVGuy.. I get it. Positive childhood impressions can last a life time.
And yeah, u were at an empty Ocean View Amusement Park near it's demise. The roller coaster there was detonated (& filmed) for a 1979 TV movie (The Death of Ocean View Park). The movie is actually uploaded on YouTube now..
Most of the Golden Skillets in Hampton Roads are gone.. I remember a Va Beach location near Independence & Pleasure House years ago. peace

Old 01-13-2017, 04:32 PM

12 posts, read 5,200 times
I knew that amusement park had closed but wasn't sure that was the one I visited. I mean literally we drove up & one guy started the ride up for me alone. No one was on the ride. It just shot up in the air, stayed there a bit, & cane back down. No sounds or lights. It was a weird experience.

I love the place though. Smelling that ocean when we came out of the tunnel was always a treat.

I know there's a Neptune statue at the park but was there a similar statue anywhere years ago? I thought there was a different one somewhere near where you exit the tunnel.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 496 times
I grew up in Great Bridge. I remember the Roses when it was in the shopping center across from Cedar Road. I remember getting my butt whipped in the People's Drug next door for begging my mom for a GI Joe. Safeway used to be where the Taylor's Do-It Center is now. Mister Jim's is still in the same spot, along with Chesapeake Pizza just down the street. Something I stumbled upon not too long ago, there used to be a placed called Great Bridge Twin Theaters next to Chesapeake Pizza. It was either before my time or closed when I was too young to remember it.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyk44 View Post
I grew up in Great Bridge. I remember the Roses when it was in the shopping center across from Cedar Road. Mister Jim's..
44, yeah, guess that Mister Jim's has held on for a long time..
I remember back in the day there was a Mister Jim's down at the Oceanfront (around 25th & Pacific). I have memories of their logo.. It kinda looked like a Pringles guy in a top hat. I don't think there are any Jim's left in Va Beach..
Peace

Old 02-04-2017, 09:09 AM

23,067 posts, read 28,278,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
In Chesapeake Greenbrier Farms. Before The Mall and the shops across the street. No Volvo Pkwy or Greenbrier Pkwy, just Greenbrier Rd. Past the old prison, remember that. Before Volvo Pkwy, you took Thrasher Road, a narrow road. Nothing but trees planted in rows.
Greenbrier Farms is still there. Operational, alive and well.

Historic Greenbrier Farms Nursery

Old 02-08-2017, 08:56 PM

1,035 posts, read 367,655 times
I remember coming to visit my grandparents in Portsmouth every summer. Sometimes we'd rent a rickety old beach cottage for a week at Ocean View within sight of Ocean View Amusement Park. Looking down the beach at the lights of the park was magical. We'd only get to go one night and our parents would hold that over our heads all week that if we weren't good, we didn't get to go to the amusement park. Wearing swimsuits 24 hours a day, sand in our beds, sunburns, having to wait that WHOLE HOUR to go back into the water after lunch.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:51 AM

Birchwood strip mall (think it's currently called The Birchwood Consumer Center) on Va Beach Blvd, near Rosemont. It still has a Food Lion and a Zero's, & the end of the strip mall now has a Lumber Liquidator$. That Liquidator$ unit was previously a string of drug stores for years. Back in the day it was a RevCo, before they were bought out by another drug store chain. That RevCo always kept a stand-up arcade game near the exit. They would rotate games every couple months; I remember for a while they had a somewhat obscure Trojan console. It was cool.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 128 times
does anyone remember The Canton Station restaurant?

Old 07-28-2017, 03:06 PM

6,204 posts, read 7,429,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewvguy View Post
I knew that amusement park had closed but wasn't sure that was the one I visited. I mean literally we drove up & one guy started the ride up for me alone. No one was on the ride. It just shot up in the air, stayed there a bit, & cane back down. No sounds or lights. It was a weird experience.

I love the place though. Smelling that ocean when we came out of the tunnel was always a treat.

I know there's a Neptune statue at the park but was there a similar statue anywhere years ago? I thought there was a different one somewhere near where you exit the tunnel.
You are correct about the statue at the bridge tunnel exit. It was located in front of the Fisherman's Warf seafood restaurant which was there along with a hotel . Both are closed now and I don't know where the statue went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area