U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 8,160 times

Advertisements

I remember when gas was $.90 a gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 02:13 PM

26 posts, read 51,478 times
I remember the Boat House in Norfolk used to be the concert hub!

I remember when Pungo used to have NOTHING there and Sandbridge had only a few homes up.

I remember the tolls 25 cents on 264 near rosemont road and 10 cents to get on/off the interstate.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:49 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,743,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQin View Post
I remember the Boat House in Norfolk used to be the concert hub!

I remember when Pungo used to have NOTHING there and Sandbridge had only a few homes up.

I remember the tolls 25 cents on 264 near rosemont road and 10 cents to get on/off the interstate.
Yes indeed!!! The Boat House was the joint back in the eighties. lol

Old 08-18-2011, 05:05 PM

And the 90s!!!

I also remember when downtown VA beach meant the beach front!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:28 PM

83 posts, read 230,994 times
The city dump was across from Janaf on Raby Road..

They built the ball fields behind Poplar Halls School.. I-264 took them..

There was a junk yard on Military Hy where the Toys R Us is ..

Military Circle was a few trucking terminals and the Norfolk Drive In movie..

There was a trailer park where the Motel 6 (Military Circle) is now

Old 08-20-2011, 06:41 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,743,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I remember the housing development on Military where KMart/Navy Fed Credit Union/Golden Corral are now and the shopping center across the road where food lion is. They had park benches inside the Food Lion so people from across the street could sit in the A/C.
Oh man, I remember that place but not the name. Im gonna have to call my brother and ask him now. lol

Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 19,045 times
I remember . . .

The awesome Friday night parties at Duck-Inn. Good times!

Dancing the night away at Tropicana on Northampton Blvd (By the Days Inn)

The old toll booths on "44" (now 264 lol)

The rodeos at Princess Anne Park equine center (now it's part of PA Sentara)

Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachnative View Post
I remember . . .

The awesome Friday night parties at Duck-Inn. Good times!

Dancing the night away at Tropicana on Northampton Blvd (By the Days Inn)

The old toll booths on "44" (now 264 lol)

The rodeos at Princess Anne Park equine center (now it's part of PA Sentara)
I'm really sad how much they've taken away from that area. I remember it before the concert hall, high school, or the hospital and doctors office. That park used to be really great to go to plus all the activities. I remember spitting nails when they started the Witchduck rd project, having all those homes torn down. I remember Kempslanding as a middle school I remember Kempsville Pony Baseball Field that's been relocated. I remember when the "Sea Monster" in sandbridge was built I remember when Tara Thunder was down at the beach front. I remember Jesters on 17th Street. I remember the practical joke that was done from FM99 about toxic chemicals leaking from Mount Trashmore. (Some of this stuff is recent I know. :P)

Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 PM

200 posts, read 381,545 times
Does anyone remember the Halifax Hotel right on VA Beach? I remember going there in the 70s and 80s.

It was an old-fashioned place, no tv's in the room. There was a den downstairs that had a tv and everyone who wanted to watch sat in there together.

Your room rate included breakfast and dinner. Delicious meals fixed by a wonderful cook and served by girls in pink and white striped outfits. At dinner, there were usually two choices for an entree, and then you got a bowl of fixin's like butter beans, green beans, potatoes, and some biscuits. There was a dress code for the dining room at dinner, but I can't recall what it was.

Anyone know what happened to it?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:56 AM

1,732 posts, read 2,560,196 times
Wow, great thread! I'm just about 30 but I def remember a lot of these and it brings back good memories.

I remember widing military highway. I always wondered how they would widen the overpass that went over 264.

I remember the tolls to get off 264.

I remember going to old Met Park where the Tides played.

I remember the Abyss, the old Pavillion that faced the interstate.

I remember seeing so much land before they built up Nimmo Pkwy area.

I remember the baseball fields and football/soccer fields at PA Park. Those were really nice to be at during a Saturday with so many people out for football. Good memories

What we need to add to this thread is pictures! If anybody has pictures of these things that are no longer here I think people would love to see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area