U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:43 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,175,009 times

Advertisements

I remember a lot of little things, like HQ and Builders Square.

But I grew up in Oceana, and things around Hilltop really strike me.

I think the thing that sticks out the most though, is that I remember Hilltop, when it was that spaghetti house thats been there forever, that Kmart, a Zaires/Ames, and I think a Burger King, and further down Laskin away from the beach, a Pharmor and that was about it.

Now its a massive shopping center.

I remember that Uncle Als hot dogs, about where that Wawa is. The Red Barron lounge right there on Oceana Blvd. The Taylors which I think is a Napa Auto Parts now. All those strip joints from the bridge to First Colonial/Oceana (looks like theyre all gone now). I think the only thing right there around Va Beach Blvd and First Colonial/Oceana is the 7-Elevens outside Oceana Village and at the corner of the intersection. Everything else is different from the mid 80's to early 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 PM

7 posts, read 17,219 times
I miss:

Sunday night at Rogue's

Blues at The Jewish Mother.

Eddie and the New Band at Ocean Eddie's and the the Airport Hilton.

Reggae at the Peppermint Beach Club.

Birdland Music.

Defenestration and Carol Taylor.

The Master Storyteller on WOWI.

Late night eats with my date(s) at The Raven.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Antonio Spartan View Post
I miss:

Sunday night at Rogue's

Blues at The Jewish Mother.

Eddie and the New Band at Ocean Eddie's and the the Airport Hilton.

Reggae at the Peppermint Beach Club.

Birdland Music.

Defenestration and Carol Taylor.

The Master Storyteller on WOWI.

Late night eats with my date(s) at The Raven.

Birdland is still around my friend, its in the Kroger shopping Center at Providence and Kempsville in Virginia Beach by a Subway, and before that, they were where that ABC store is in the same shopping center, and I know they were there since atleast the mid 90's. Its turning mostly to vinyl like most independent record stores. They actually outsource their record sales to some record wholesaler, and to me, the prices are fairly steep, and they take you to town if you ever have a special request. I've found much better independent record shops with more reasonable pricing.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:10 AM

7 posts, read 17,219 times
Good to know.I still have a lot of family in the area but I haven't been back in years.

I also remember $15 bushels of crab in Poquoson!What are they going for now?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 PM

4,785 posts, read 4,411,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I thought it would be interesting to see what folks remembered around the area.

I remember when Columbus Village (on VB Blvd where Silver Diner, Pet Smart, etc is) used to be Dominion Chrysler Plymouth. I bought my first new car from them in 1987 - a red Chrysler Lebaron fresh off the showroom floor.

I remember where Barnes and Noble is on VB Blvd there was a home improvement store called Hechinger. Divaris Group scouted B&N to build a store here and back then they were skeptical on locating here!

I remember going into Ames on VB Blvd and thinking, wow, this is the biggest department store I have ever been in.

I recall growing up we sometimes ate at Piccadilly at Pembroke Mall. That was some good eating! Remember also eating a few times at one at Lynnhaven Mall.

I remember eating at Po Folks on Haygood Road. Their light fixtures consisted of upside down clay pots.

In more recent years, I remember feeling sad as they cut down all the trees to build Town Center. I think it was worth it though and it's nice to have a fledgling downtown with some nice places to eat.
I'm not from here, but I do remember Ames though. IMHO stores like Roses and Target can never replace Ames.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:24 AM

1,649 posts, read 4,659,645 times
I remember when Zero's was THE place to get subs around town. When I was a kid, they were the only place I knew of that would toast subs. Now they all do, and Zero's have become hard to find.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I remember when Zero's was THE place to get subs around town. When I was a kid, they were the only place I knew of that would toast subs. Now they all do, and Zero's have become hard to find.

I know of at least 3

Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,691 times
I remember the Branding Iron (B/I) biker bar, Fleet Reserve and Red Baron Inn in the 1970's and 1980's. Sure spent a lot of time and money in those places.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM

275 posts, read 723,003 times
There's a really awesome Facebook group called "I Grew Up In Virginia Beach" with a TON of old pictures from the 50s up to the mid-to-late-90s. There's still quite a few Zero's in town, although I'm sad the one on Atlantic Ave. at the Beach is gone. :-(

Everyone listed a lot of the good stuff, but here's a few more:
-Peter Piper Pizza

-The pizza shops at Military Circle and Pembroke. Military's was Italian Delight and Pembroke's was I think Pizza Delight...both were great place. Greenbrier also had one IIRC.

-Piccadilly when it was still in Military Circle Mall, and not a standalone restaurant (that used to be Morrison's).

-NSU playing their football games at ODU up until the mid-90s.

-The store on the corner of Witchduck and VB Blvd. that's had so many names. Zayre/Ames/Value City/a restaurant supply store.

-When the shopping center on Greenbrier Parkway (where Target is) was a forest. I remember riding past there when I was about 7, and smelling honeysuckle from the trees.

-No one I talk to remembers this, but on Waterside Drive, in front of Dominion Tower, there used to be these two black towers (about 10' high) with strips of horizontal neon lights. The lights would alternate colors. This was in the late-80s.

-When the shopping center on Holland Road (old Super K) was a big field, and Windsor Oaks Blvd. didn't connect through to Independence.

-I loved the old movie theater in Military Circle and always thought the ramp that led to the concessions and theaters was awesome. There used to be 3 in that area; one in the mall, another one right outside (now a Chuck E. Cheese), and the big one in Janaf.

-My aunt worked at the Famous in Military Circle...

I miss a lot of those memories, and would've loved to had grown up in this area in the 70s and early-80s, but I also find it cool how this area has grown so much. It's hard for me to imagine the Lynnhaven and Greenbrier areas as anything other than the suburbs they've become!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 AM

797 posts, read 1,156,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I remember when there was no ID check at the Bethel Manor housing pre-9/11.
Same here. I drove by there over the summer and many of those houses (from 1st to 5th) had been bulldozed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area