Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,490,461 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be interesting to see what folks remembered around the area.

I remember when Columbus Village (on VB Blvd where Silver Diner, Pet Smart, etc is) used to be Dominion Chrysler Plymouth. I bought my first new car from them in 1987 - a red Chrysler Lebaron fresh off the showroom floor.

I remember where Barnes and Noble is on VB Blvd there was a home improvement store called Hechinger. Divaris Group scouted B&N to build a store here and back then they were skeptical on locating here!

I remember going into Ames on VB Blvd and thinking, wow, this is the biggest department store I have ever been in.

I recall growing up we sometimes ate at Piccadilly at Pembroke Mall. That was some good eating! Remember also eating a few times at one at Lynnhaven Mall.

I remember eating at Po Folks on Haygood Road. Their light fixtures consisted of upside down clay pots.

In more recent years, I remember feeling sad as they cut down all the trees to build Town Center. I think it was worth it though and it's nice to have a fledgling downtown with some nice places to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 PM

359 posts, read 755,965 times
That LeBaron's a beaut. Nice acceleration too. I never saw any of the red ones, though!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:04 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,447,911 times
I remember when we use to go into a local hardware store in Princess Anne County(Va Beach) back in the sixties and blacks could only go in two at a time.

I remember when their were only a few high schools in Virginia Beach

I remember when several Beach neighborhoods were open fields

I remember when most blacks in Virginia Beach knew one another. lol

Old 08-04-2011, 02:21 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,516,486 times
I remember the many years they did construction on the I-64 interchange at Mercury Blvd. I was down there in 09 and I can't believe they finished it.

I remember when there was no ID check at the Bethel Manor housing pre-9/11.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,403,734 times
I remember the housing development on Military where KMart/Navy Fed Credit Union/Golden Corral are now and the shopping center across the road where food lion is. They had park benches inside the Food Lion so people from across the street could sit in the A/C.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:57 AM

41 posts, read 127,362 times
I'm kind of a young'un, so bear with me, lol.

I remember the old George Washington Highway that was uncomfortably narrow and very close to the Dismal Swamp Canal; I hated driving back home from Carolina long that road (especially at night), but now it's a fine walking trail.

I also remember when Battlefield Blvd was the only other way to the OBX, and when the Great Bridge bridge wasn't so great.

I remember the tolls on the Virgina Beach-Norfolk Expressway; I don't remember any maintenance on that stretch of highway since

I remember there being a lot more fields and forests around where subdivisions are now, but I also remember fewer preservation efforts.

I remember when Norfolk's downtown was tiny and empty, and when Virginia Beach's Town Center was just a stand of pine trees

I remember the Captain George's down past Pungo. Good eating! The Duck-In was wonderful too.

I remember not appreciating how great the area is.... But now I'll never forget how amazing it is to grow up here!

Old 08-05-2011, 11:59 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,447,911 times
I remember going to the drive-in movie on Baxter Rd back in the 70's and kissing during the whole movie. lol

Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 PM

26 posts, read 67,405 times
Default I Remember...

Po Folks! They served iced tea in mason jars, etc. I thought they would be around awhile (like Cracker Barrel) but I guess I was wrong.

I remember the Open House Pantry on Northhampton; there was also one on Shore Drive. My ex and I would stop there before heading out on a road trip. I would always order a T-Bone steak and eggs for breakfast. Sad to see that one is now a Denny's and the other is a bank.

Man, now I'm homesick for HR!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,958,783 times
Ok, I.m showing my age:
I remember pembroke mall opening, there was no independence blvd, shore drive inn, tolls on hampton roads bridge tunnel, my older sister used to take the ferry to eastern shore before bridge tunnel, they had dances on the ferry.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 PM

37,422 posts, read 45,609,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro Manga X View Post
I remember the Captain George's down past Pungo. Good eating! The Duck-In was wonderful too.
Ha. I remember eating there BEFORE it was a Captain Georges! Spent many many weekends there, boating, and skiiing and swimming (yes, in THAT water!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area