Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 PM

6 posts, read 13,328 times

Advertisements

Okay, I posted this in BigFoot's official reckless driving thread and was informed it was in the wrong area. However, it seems that Emporia is inbetween three of the areas listed on the board and not actually in any of them. I chose this one because 1) I'm stationed in the Hampton Roads area and 2) it seemed the closest when I looked it up on MapQuest.

So I'm new to this whole ticket thing. I was pulled over once before the day I got my first car for testing it out (100 in a 55) but got off with a warning. This time, no luck.

I was out on Route 58 near Emporia (never been on it before) at around 2 a.m. and it was pretty deserted (except one annoying truck too close to me). My GPS says the SL is 60, I'd been driving for 14 hours (because of stupid Christmas traffic traffic jams in Florida) and the GPS hadn't been wrong yet, so I just concentrated on staying awake and getting to Norfolk, VA by 5 a.m. for muster (I'm Navy). Going 80 for the most part (didn't want to be 20 above. lol Didn't do me much good, did it?), sped up when the truck got too close for comfort (WHY he needed to be a car length behind me on a two-lane deserted highway is beyond me) and got clocked at 86 about half a mile later. Officer told me the SL is actually 55, and that anything over 80 is RD in VA anyways. When he asked for my license, I couldn't find it (found it later in my uniform pocket in the backseat), so I also got a ticket for "No Driver's License in Possession") and had to show my mil id instead. He and I were polite, pleasant, and had no problems or "altercations" (what does that even mean?), so what are the chances I can get this reduced? I have a Secret Clearance and don't want to jeopardize it.

And yes, I understand that I shouldn't have been speeding in the first place, but if you'd ever witnessed the military consequences of being UA (unauthorized absence), you'd probably risk a simple speeding ticket (or so I thought was what could happen) to get back in time (GPS calculated that going the SL, I'd get back at 4:58 a.m. with no time to get in uniform or even walk to my ship).

Also, I'm tight on money at the moment. Just paid for new tires and brakes, so getting an attorney would be very difficult (especially since I expect to pay AT LEAST $500 in fines no matter what). So really, please, any info you guys have would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

~MikoAmaya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 06:57 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,161,761 times
Reckless driving is not just a traffic violation, but a criminal one as well. Get a lawyer. Just realize how this is going to affect your military career and don't speed like that again.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,014,731 times
31 over the speed limit? You better get a lawyer and a good one. As stated RD is a jailable offense in Virginia and it's common at that speed to see the judge hand out 10 days or so...

Old 12-28-2011, 01:02 PM

169 posts, read 337,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
and it's common at that speed to see the judge hand out 10 days or so...
C'mon, give me a break. It's actually very, very uncommon at those speeds. Dare you to prove me wrong.

MikoAmaya, BigFoot's advice is more realistic. Don't listen to these folks. While I agree with them that you should slow it down, they're just trying to scare you for the most part.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,014,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUdom5 View Post
C'mon, give me a break. It's actually very, very uncommon at those speeds. Dare you to prove me wrong.

MikoAmaya, BigFoot's advice is more realistic. Don't listen to these folks. While I agree with them that you should slow it down, they're just trying to scare you for the most part.
Why should I do your work, your the one wanting to debate me... You want to try and prove me wrong go ahead... First go online and pull up Emporia's traffic court records (it's public information) and check each deposition. You will soon find out I am right. The judges in that area normally give jail time to anyone traveling 80 and above

Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 AM

169 posts, read 337,554 times
Quote:
Why should I do your work, your the one wanting to debate me... You want to try and prove me wrong go ahead...
http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/gdcourts

Haven't yet found a single RD where the judge ordered jailtime.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,161,761 times
Quote:
Why should I do your work, your the one wanting to debate me... You want to try and prove me wrong go ahead... First go online and pull up Emporia's traffic court records (it's public information) and check each deposition. You will soon find out I am right. The judges in that area normally give jail time to anyone traveling 80 and above
Fines out the ying-yang? Yes. Jail time? Probably not.

What the OP should be more worried about is how a criminal conviction will impact his military career. Not knowing more information about the OP's history, he should at the very least talk with someone about what having a criminal misdemeanor will do.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 PM

84 posts, read 287,647 times
Was in traffic court in Culpeper County (designated driver/ride home) and two Solders where there.. both in uniform, standing at attention before the Judge, both had charges reduced..

Uniform of the day for court is Dress Blues and lawyer up..

Good luck..

Old 12-31-2011, 06:48 AM

29 posts, read 82,543 times
Here is my recommendation.

Richard E Railey Jr. | Railey and Railey, P.C. | Courtland Virginia

Get it delayed until you can afford to do the correct thing to save your future.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 10,405 times
We are all military and never got a ticket so GROW UP and take the consequences. You got what you deserved. I am also sick of people like you thinking if you wear your military gear it makes you better than civilians. All you do is give the rest of us a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area