Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 AM

8 posts, read 17,207 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Hampton Roads area for his job this summer. We visited and liked the East Beach community. We walked the community and met many nice people. Anyone on here familiar with the community? Have any opinions? We want to live in a community and be close to water--any other areas we should consider? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,520 times
This was from another post on East Beach:
Hi Koalarich

In answer to your questions:

Do any of you live in the "new urbanist" community of East Beach?
Yes i do
Know anyone who does?
When we moved in we didn't know anyone but we know loads of people now

How would you describe these residents (politically, socially, etc)?
There is a real mix of ages from 30 - 80 and several families with kids up the age of 10. Not many teenagers or twentysomethings. Mix of politics but i'd say mainly conservative. We are a very social bunch - there are always parties at peoples house, events organized by the neighborhood and loads of stuff going on

Do they love it, hate it, regret moving there?
We love it and so do all our friends (neighbors!) Many people say they will never leave

Where do they work, and how is their commute?
We work on the peninsula -commute is 35 minutes in winter 45 minutes in summer

Can they feel the fact that they live in a nicer neighborhood surrounded by less nice ones (crime seeping in, etc)?
There are always police patrolling the neighborhood and almost zero crime. Ocean View is gradually being cleaned up but there is still a lot to go!

What do you know about the Montessori School in the neighborhood?
Nothing

Does it really have a walkable and neighborly feel (can walk to restaurants, neighborhood events well attended, etc)?
Yes people walk all the time or drive their golf carts. There are always loads of people who go to the neighborhood events - you should check them out on the east beach norfolk website there is a list. There could be better restaurants but they will come in time

How are the beaches adjacent to the neighborhood?
Awesome - very quiet

What is the up-and-coming news about the neighborhood (new restaurants, grocery stores, businesses, etc)?
There is meant to be a new restaurant opening near the marina but not sure when. plus always rumors of a grocery store but nothing happening yet

I'd move in as quickly as you can there aren't many lots left

Old 02-09-2012, 10:35 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
I like East Beach. It's in the middle of a regentrification area (read: the ghetto) but the neighborhood itself is very nice.

The area only has upward potential, but just don't hurry anything along. There's not any shortage of homes or lots in East Beach.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 PM

Thanks. This info was a little dated so I was looking for something recent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
This was from another post on East Beach:
Hi Koalarich

In answer to your questions:

Do any of you live in the "new urbanist" community of East Beach?
Yes i do
Know anyone who does?
When we moved in we didn't know anyone but we know loads of people now

How would you describe these residents (politically, socially, etc)?
There is a real mix of ages from 30 - 80 and several families with kids up the age of 10. Not many teenagers or twentysomethings. Mix of politics but i'd say mainly conservative. We are a very social bunch - there are always parties at peoples house, events organized by the neighborhood and loads of stuff going on

Do they love it, hate it, regret moving there?
We love it and so do all our friends (neighbors!) Many people say they will never leave

Where do they work, and how is their commute?
We work on the peninsula -commute is 35 minutes in winter 45 minutes in summer

Can they feel the fact that they live in a nicer neighborhood surrounded by less nice ones (crime seeping in, etc)?
There are always police patrolling the neighborhood and almost zero crime. Ocean View is gradually being cleaned up but there is still a lot to go!

What do you know about the Montessori School in the neighborhood?
Nothing

Does it really have a walkable and neighborly feel (can walk to restaurants, neighborhood events well attended, etc)?
Yes people walk all the time or drive their golf carts. There are always loads of people who go to the neighborhood events - you should check them out on the east beach norfolk website there is a list. There could be better restaurants but they will come in time

How are the beaches adjacent to the neighborhood?
Awesome - very quiet

What is the up-and-coming news about the neighborhood (new restaurants, grocery stores, businesses, etc)?
There is meant to be a new restaurant opening near the marina but not sure when. plus always rumors of a grocery store but nothing happening yet

I'd move in as quickly as you can there aren't many lots left

Old 02-10-2012, 03:01 PM

Thanks! I've noticed there's plenty of inventory which is why I'm slightly hesitant. Any concerns to be aware of? Any builders to stay away from? Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I like East Beach. It's in the middle of a regentrification area (read: the ghetto) but the neighborhood itself is very nice.

The area only has upward potential, but just don't hurry anything along. There's not any shortage of homes or lots in East Beach.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:29 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNJill View Post
Thanks! I've noticed there's plenty of inventory which is why I'm slightly hesitant. Any concerns to be aware of? Any builders to stay away from? Thank you!!

Just know that it is a regentrification zone so if you go a mile up the road, things can be very sketchy.

Most builders are the same. You have a lot of the same laborers building these days. The biggest problems I have found is with water intrusion. Due to the constant change in temperature and humidity around here, things are constantly expanding and contracting. Really we shouldn't be building with wood. If you find a home with a lot of wood, just know it's going to require constant supervision to prevent rotting and leaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area