U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 09:16 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,707,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Where do you come from?
DC area. But other metro areas such as nyc, la, sf, boston, philly, san diego metro areas this wouldn't be considered wealthy/upscale. There are more metro areas too but yeah.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 10:13 AM

957 posts, read 1,368,595 times
Definition of "upscale" aside, I think we can all agree that Chesapeake is NOT overrun with trailer parks and poverty. I also moved here from northern VA outside of DC, but you can't just compare the raw numbers because the cost of living in the two areas is different. $50k in northern VA is not wealthy, but it would be very well off in many other areas.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:07 AM

581 posts, read 444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Where do you come from?
I think they said McLean a while back on another forum post, even the 22101 part is very pricey. Its a hole different world folks.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:45 PM

998 posts, read 798,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I think we have different opinions of wealthy/upscale. Chesapeake's wealthy is low/middle class where I come from and in many other bigger metro areas.
Yes we do have different opinions of wealthy/upscale. I have lived in Los Angeles , Bay Area , San Diego, Pittsburgh and Denver, now here. The wealth was relative in each of those areas, the bigger the better obviously. The West Coast was mind boggling wealthy, Pitt and Denver nowhere near but they certainly had horses in the race.
Hampton Roads and Chesapeake in particular are pretty much small fry in the great national wealth race but the area holds its own, especially with waterfront properties.
Bottom line is, as the other poster mentioned, is that Chesapeake is a hell of a lot more than trailer parks, crime and low income people, that was just a ridiculous assumption and it got this thread rolling.
There is wealth/upscale in Chesapeake and throughout HR and it doesn't hold a candle to the trophy metro's in this country but it does hold its own considering the lack of corporate activity in the area.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:31 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times
Quote:
Not plenty. That's false but yes there are wealthy/upscale areas. Although again, not plenty.
Since you don't even live in the area I'm thinking your knowledge of the area isn't as accurate as mine.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Since you don't even live in the area I'm thinking your knowledge of the area isn't as accurate as mine.
My knowledge is accurate, just a different point of view. If you're from a small town area place then Chesapeake may seem wealthy/upscale. If you're from somewhere a lot bigger where the wealth is more relative and obvious for example seeing people ride around in expensive luxury cars, big houses, etc Chesapeake won't seem upscale/wealthy to you. Like I said we have different definitions of upscale/wealthy. If someone from Bethesda, MD came to Chesapeake they would definitely not see the area as wealthy/upscale.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:55 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times
Quote:
My knowledge is accurate, just a different point of view. If you're from a small town area place then Chesapeake may seem wealthy/upscale. If you're from somewhere a lot bigger where the wealth is more relative and obvious for example seeing people ride around in expensive luxury cars, big houses, etc Chesapeake won't seem upscale/wealthy to you. Like I said we have different definitions of upscale/wealthy. If someone from Bethesda, MD came to Chesapeake they would definitely not see the area as wealthy/upscale.
In the area, as many people have said, there are many upscale homes. For this area homes costing 300,00+ are upscale. If the same home were in New York it would be well over a million dollars. Again it's all relative to the cost of living.

FYI I doubt your google knowledge is accurate. You don't live here. I live in VAB and there are a lot more wealthy and upscale homes in VAB than Chesapeake but Chesapeake is not the horriable place some would make it seem. Just avoid the south Norfolk area of the city. Next time you want to give advice on the housing of an area you should try actually living in the area first.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
In the area, as many people have said, there are many upscale homes. For this area homes costing 300,00+ are upscale. If the same home were in New York it would be well over a million dollars. Again it's all relative to the cost of living.

FYI I doubt your google knowledge is accurate. You don't live here. I live in VAB and there are a lot more wealthy and upscale homes in VAB than Chesapeake but Chesapeake is not the horriable place some would make it seem. Just avoid the south Norfolk area of the city. Next time you want to give advice on the housing of an area you should try actually living in the area first.
Yep I agree in the fact that COL makes a difference. I stand corrected on that. Although again, there is no need for your backhanded rude comments assuming I don't know about the area. I've been to the Hampton roads area too many times to count. I have friends that live in the area that I used to visit frequently in the areas of Williamsburg and Chesapeake. I never said Chesapeake had trailer parks or made it out to seem that way. I don't have google knowledge either, I've lived in Virginia all of my life (besides college) most of us have been to VA beach every summer or spring break. I know the area very well. Also, I never gave housing advice in this entire thread. Not once. Read next time before you comment something that never happened. I think you have me mixed up with the other poster talking about the trailer parks. That was another person not me. Reading is an important thing before you snap at someone.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:48 AM

129 posts, read 102,016 times
Default We've lived similar areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Yes we do have different opinions of wealthy/upscale. I have lived in Los Angeles , Bay Area , San Diego, Pittsburgh and Denver, now here. The wealth was relative in each of those areas, the bigger the better obviously. The West Coast was mind boggling wealthy, Pitt and Denver nowhere near but they certainly had horses in the race.
Hampton Roads and Chesapeake in particular are pretty much small fry in the great national wealth race but the area holds its own, especially with waterfront properties.
Bottom line is, as the other poster mentioned, is that Chesapeake is a hell of a lot more than trailer parks, crime and low income people, that was just a ridiculous assumption and it got this thread rolling.
There is wealth/upscale in Chesapeake and throughout HR and it doesn't hold a candle to the trophy metro's in this country but it does hold its own considering the lack of corporate activity in the area.

Hi there, Poquoson, I am about to make a move from Denver to Virginia Beach or Norfolk. We have lived in so many similar areas - Pittsburgh (for undergrad and grad), San Diego, Phoenix, Sacramento, Virginia Beach (a LONG time ago), and now Denver. I want to leave Denver because of the winters... I find them extremely depressing - cold and very snowy. The traffic is awful with the influx of people recently and the metro areas feel mostly run down looking. I do love the mountains here and hiking, but that is about all I love. So looking to make an exit... Can I ask you how your transition was from Denver to Virginia? Regarding weather, people, things to do... THANK YOU!

Old 07-01-2016, 04:34 AM

998 posts, read 798,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailelsa View Post
Hi there, Poquoson, I am about to make a move from Denver to Virginia Beach or Norfolk. We have lived in so many similar areas - Pittsburgh (for undergrad and grad), San Diego, Phoenix, Sacramento, Virginia Beach (a LONG time ago), and now Denver. I want to leave Denver because of the winters... I find them extremely depressing - cold and very snowy. The traffic is awful with the influx of people recently and the metro areas feel mostly run down looking. I do love the mountains here and hiking, but that is about all I love. So looking to make an exit... Can I ask you how your transition was from Denver to Virginia? Regarding weather, people, things to do... THANK YOU!
Greetings Sailesa....My time in Denver was work related and very short, less than a year. I enjoyed the mountains and the hiking as well as the stunning beauty WEST of town. Denver itself was not appealing to me at all, much too generic and brown. I am a beach person so being in the middle of the country and a mile up in elevation wasn't working.
My one winter in Denver was painful, not a fan of snow and cold.
The people I met were a tad provincial and had not really been around the block so to speak, a lot of midwesterners and California expats believing they had found nirvana and pretty vocal about it.
I had visited friends in the VA Beach/Norfolk area several times prior to moving here. I fell kinda hard for the beaches, diversity of people, seafood, cultural amenities, lush landscape, festivals of every kind and location in the middle of the East Coast.
The move here was actually from the LA area, south Orange County to be specific. We sold the house in Cali in March 2006 and by June 2006 were in our new home on a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. The quality of my life here beats anything I have experienced elsewhere, a very happy camper I am.

One of the biggest cons here is the traffic, but you know what, traffic pretty much sucks in most major, growing metros across the country.

Feel free to message me for more elaboration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or